Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 PM   #1

Class A necessities

We recently purchased a class A motor coach and are taking possession this weekend. My question is- What are the "must haves' before camping?

i.e. Surge protector, water filters, etc...

All help greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #2

Fuel money/card, (and lots of it), tools for the unexpected, and whatever else you want, food, beer, toiletries, more beer, more tools and a little more beer. That's what I take anyway. You may want to customize my list to fit your needs.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #3

Welcome to iRV2.

I don't know what you'll find when you take delivery of your coach, private purchase or dealer ?
Some dealers include a basic kit , water hose , sewer , power adaptors, others your on your own.
JMHO: For you first outing stay close to home so you can run back for those forgotten items, close to an RV supply outlet will also be a plus.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

Absolutely a surge protector. Also a RV potable hose for city water hook-up, different than a garden hose. Make sure your sewer Jose and connectors are in hood working condition (I would buy a new sewer hose). If you have a filtration system on your water supply ensure the filter is new. If you have jacks, ensure you carry some type of pad so if you are on soft ground you can place something under the jack pad. Then hour typical accouterments of plates, cups, flatware, etc.

Now get out there and enjoy your purchase. You will start figuring out quickly what you need and don't need. Here's hoping you enjoy your travels.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
For first trip out I would be sure to have the basics for your hook-ups.
Sewer hose, drinking water hose, water pressure regulator, water filter, 50 & 30 amp adaptors.
Here are a few stores you can pick up RV items mentioned above most of the time that may surprise you:
Ace Hardware
Rural King
Co-op
Gibsons (Pamada) sp?

Happt Trails

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
No different than a Class B, C, TT or 5er list.

Take what you think you will need. Dishes, pots, cutlery, food, bedding, cloths, towels, food, condiments, more condiments, shoes, coats, hose, sewer hose, power adaptors, etc.

Does not matter what you take you will have a list of things to add and things to leave. It is an evolving process, one that never ends. Eventually you will get the exchanges down to a few each time.

Good luck on your first camping trip.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #7

excellent- thank you.

I should have clarified a little.

The vessel is new (2014 leftover) and I assume I will have the basics; sewer hose, shore power, etc.. But it is the other items such as the surge protector that I worry about. And, will the dealer try to sell me items I really don't need.

So my list so far:

Surge protector
Bendable wash wand
Water hose

But;
Water filters (why, obviously something I know nothing about)
Water pressure regulator (why, what should pressure be? and where does it connect?)
50-30 amp Adaptors (I have 30 amp system, are most 50?)

Thanks again,

Les
Old 04-30-2015, 09:32 PM   #8

Have you camped before? If not, you might want to have a couple of test nights in your driveway before a taking a trip. Cook, clean up, relax & sleep just as if you were at a campground. Keep a list of the stuff you have to go back to the house to get!

I've duplicated just about everything that I use in the house for food prep in the coach. I mostly cook outside either on a gas stove, grill on charcoal or use my dutch oven. I also use an electric griddle quite often. I've got a convection/microwave & electric cook top in the coach. The microwave portion gets used a lot more than the convection & cooktop. I also use a crock pot a lot.

What type of camping are you going to do? If it's RV Resort type "camping" your list may be different than if you're using state & national parks.

It won't be long before you have your coach stocked with what you want & need but try to resist the temptation to pack the "just in case" stuff. It's okay if there are empty drawers & shelves.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:52 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAquaman View Post
For first trip out I would be sure to have the basics for your hook-ups.
Sewer hose, drinking water hose, water pressure regulator, water filter, 50 & 30 amp adaptors.
Here are a few stores you can pick up RV items mentioned above most of the time that may surprise you:
Ace Hardware
Rural King
Co-op
Gibsons (Pamada) sp?

Happt Trails
Add Wal*Mart to the list above.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:56 AM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
It won't be long before you have your coach stocked with what you want & need but try to resist the temptation to pack the "just in case" stuff. It's okay if there are empty drawers & shelves.
Man did we find a bunch of that when we cleaned out the Dutch Star after 13 years! Still got boxes of stuff to go through since a lot of what we have is built in to the Magna.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #11

Thanks again-

Yes, we have camped before. We own a TTT (tear drop travel trailer) now and will transfer all necessary gear for camping, and i agree with the "just in case" scenrio, its a monster of items.
We will camp mostly in grounds with pads, but boondocking happens.

I guess I should be asking the question in a different manner.

What "precautions" do I need to buy to protect my investment?

Althoug- the list of stores and retail facilities was excellent information!!! THANKS

Tags
class a