Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #15
Man slides sure are nice, and pretty darned reliable. I understand the keep it simple mentality, but this is a rolling house we are talking about! My slides are the last thing I worry about and I have 4.

American Revolution 40L CAT C9
Samsung 197, TireMinder, Ready Brute Elite with Wrangler
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #16
we feel if you are buying a first rv and can't cash for it & not have a payment it is worth not having a slide as we shopped around for month I may add that in our cash area the mh's all seemed to have had leaks around slide and loss of storage & lot of extra weight-BUT if you got the money it probably would be benificial to have slides and if you want to sell it is a plus

pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:19 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After not wanting any slide outs on any of our travel trailers, I can not imagine not having at least one ever again. Looked at class C motorhomes with out any. Walked into the current Class A with two slides and we both went this is it. On a rainy day it is great. Did have a few problems on the first trip (dealer caused) but I got it to work and love it. Hope to have the factory correct the issue for good in a few weeks at a rally. Sorry to say the dealer seems to fix one thing and causes 1 or 2 more problems.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #18
Also understand the good feeling of KISS! But, also are in the group that suggest you not worry about the slide too much. At least one in the living area can make a big difference.

On our quest for KISS, we looked specifically for a non kitchen slide unit. Yes, KISS-able in that no moving plumbing. But more for the added cabinet space, as with slides you can lose up to 6" of headroom storage. Our current coach, we added a third shelf into two of the kitchen cabinets, about 7" down from the top. Stash lots of thins we don't use often in these shelves, and still have had no impact on tall item snot fitting on the shelf below.

We also wanted to have slides only on the Driver side. One reason was the PITA of ducking under slides to get things out of the basement, the other was that though slides do take up more space in a camp site, by having only one side with slides, we minimize that total width. (Some of our local area favorite campgrounds, have sites from the old trailer days, and not too wide!).

IMO, set your budget, and drop years to obtain a higher up the good chain coach. Save some budget funds to possibly 'refresh' the items in the coach that may not be what you like (add new TV's vs Tube; change out carpets if needed; maybe adjust cabinets to your needs, etc.). At the length your looking, and amount of planned usage forecasted. A gasser vs DP conversation can be pretty short. That being said, if you plan to hang onto this rig along time, then 'usually' the higher quality units are DP.

In non slide, that I do not recommend - but heck, your choice for sure! Consider and old Bluebird or Wanderlodge. They have the length, built like tanks, and many owners go thru them with great detail on 'refreshes'. And, as mentioned earlier, Foretravel has some non slide units in the length you mentioned. And Foretravels usually have larger engines, ISM or even M11's in the older units, and the Allison Retarder transmissions are nice. Both Blue Bird 'Bird's'/Wanderlodges and Foretravel are solid coaches, that will provide decades of usage.

On the slide side of things, consider some of the smaller Country Coaches (Allures can be found at 32', 34' and 36', and are a good bang for the buck.

In a gasser, I like the Trek's, but would get one without the diesels, leaning more towards the 8.1 gasser models.

Good luck on your quest, have fun,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #19
All great replies! Lots of good info about the kitchen slides, Smitty. I was against them for chafe issues on water and gas lines, but the loss of overhead storage had not gelled in my brain.
We have 4 years before we retire. We thought we would get a simple "starter" rv to get our feet wet. I think (at this point), I would prefer something simpler that we could park at our house. But as one of the early responses said " My wife walked into the rv and said this is it! And that's how he ended up in a 3 slide rv". I suspect she will have the final word on slides. Her judgement has been good so far (she picked me!)

Ken & Kristine
Ft. Myers, FL
Shamrockken is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, slide