Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #1

I'm new to forums, so if this isn't the correct one, I'm a newbie.I've owned 2 motorhomes, a 32 ft class c and a 2007 Chateau Citation 26 ft B+.
They were both on Ford chassis, both were noisy and rode rough on not so good Interstates. I have been interested in a Tiffin Allegro 32LA on the Workhorse. I recently gave a 2008 a test drive and it was as noisy as the Ford, but only on the driver's side, my wife said the passenger side was quiet. Also at highway speeds there was a humming sound, the saleman said this was the grille vibrating and could be fixed. Another problem was it handled like a tank, wandered and steering was sloppy. I am still interested in the Allegro on Workhorse, if these issues are repairable. I can't justify trading a noisy rough handling RV for another plus money for more of same. Has anyone encountered any of this with Allegro/Workhorse?
Thanks for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #2

I'm new to forums, so if this isn't the correct one, I'm a newbie.I've owned 2 motorhomes, a 32 ft class c and a 2007 Chateau Citation 26 ft B+.
They were both on Ford chassis, both were noisy and rode rough on not so good Interstates. I have been interested in a Tiffin Allegro 32LA on the Workhorse. I recently gave a 2008 a test drive and it was as noisy as the Ford, but only on the driver's side, my wife said the passenger side was quiet. Also at highway speeds there was a humming sound, the saleman said this was the grille vibrating and could be fixed. Another problem was it handled like a tank, wandered and steering was sloppy. I am still interested in the Allegro on Workhorse, if these issues are repairable. I can't justify trading a noisy rough handling RV for another plus money for more of same. Has anyone encountered any of this with Allegro/Workhorse?
Thanks for any help.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #3

Welcome.
Do you have an RV now? MH's are on a tuck chassis. When emty they will ride rougher than when loaded and the springs are working with the weight. What kind of noise are you talking about? Engine, chassis noise, road noise?

This is not the family car. It will not handle or drive like the family car.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Was your tire pressure correct because I had a terribly rough ride until I lowered the tire pressures.

Also when you test drive motorhomes they usually dont have any cargo in them so that amplifies the situation.

good luck

Steve
Old 09-10-2007, 11:25 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Stan and welcome to iRV2. This comes from someone who spent over $7K to get his coach settled down. The previous post are correct. There are a bunch more things that can cause the wandering. The bottom line is this is the most serious of your concerns. Some coaches drive well and some do not. If the coach does not drive well, move on. Once you make the purchase, things may or may not get fixed to your satisfaction. I had the wandering problem and it cost me $5K to get it fixed because the chassis and coach manufacturer said it was "within specs".

With regard to the noise at highway speeds, it could be what the salesman said. It could also be wind noise. If the window casing has the small water weep slots, these will generate significant wind noise. Go here to see a sample of this window casing and the black tape I put over the weep hole. This eliminated the wind noise. The last hole needs to be left open to allow for water to excape the lower window track.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stan, read thru the Workhorse Chassis threads, you will find that the Workhorse is notorious for poor handling until you shell out some bucks for aftermarket add ons to the suspension.
Just something you have to live with.

Glenn
Old 09-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #7

I drove my 2001 W-20 stock until 40,000 miles. Than I only repaced the front shocks as I figured it was time. Many MH owner just throw away $$$ in there attempt to improve things. I did not see any need for all the improvements everyone else made.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
I just purchased the Class A in my signature...has factory installed Bilsteins, nothing else...on our drive back from NC with Jeep in tow, it handled beautifully, no major truck passing sway, just ran straight down the road.

I guess it depends on the rig...my Chateau Class C (for sale on IRV2.com classifieds) handled much better when I had the front end aligned and replaced the stock Ford shocks w/Monroe RV shocks...after that, it drove very well, much better than stock.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My HR rode like crap when I test drove it at the show, but then it only tipped the scales at 18,670# wet then. After I bought it and changed ALL my stuff from the 5er into it and had over half of the basement storage bins empty I took a trip to CW for some more "have to haves". Long story short, she tips at 20,980# now and I cruise the California Freeways at 65mph with the cruise on and drive with 1 finger on the wheel! With weight they drive better, although shes not a DP with full air bag suspension, we love her!
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:36 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn and Kathy:
Stan, read thru the Workhorse Chassis threads, you will find that the Workhorse is notorious for poor handling until you shell out some bucks for aftermarket add ons to the suspension.
Just something you have to live with.

Glenn </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Motorhome manufacturers are notorious for not following the coach builders guide provided by the chassis provider be it a Workhorse, Ford etc.

Also many coach builders modify an undersized chassis and lengthen it themselves to fit the coach they are building instead of ordering the right chassis to start with. If this is done correctly you will have no problems however this many times is not the case with coach builders.

My current coach was a little rough/noisy until I insulated the doghouse and properly inflated the tires based on the load on them not the max rating. Now all is fine.

The Ford shocks are a bit lacking but not a real show stopper. They will be replaced shortly, at around 50,000 miles, with something better probably Monroe RVs or Konis. This will be based on mileage not a need.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:08 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Stan-- As a guy who threw $2000 bucks into a howling noise that Workhorse or Allison couldn't solve , I feel qualified to comment on my noise-- that I solved. Newmar ( the manufacturer ) was no help either. When I removed the grill, the noise disappeared. I strengthed the grill ( changing the resonance frequency ) by brazing on 28 supports, and repainting the grill. Others have added a bead of silicon to the underside of the grill fins and solved their problems. Older Bounders suffered from this noise problem also-- rubber spacers solved their problem. I can't address the other issues you raise as my 37' Mount Aire does well in all those areas-- good luck!!
Max H
'02 37' Newmar Mountain Aire, W-22 Chassis
'06 CHevy Malibu
Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #12

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post. Yes I do have a motorhome, it is the 2007 Chateau Citation on a Ford chassis. It handles and rides like a Ford truck, loaded or empty. That is why I'm looking at Workhorse. According to what I've read about Workhorse it was designed for RV's and was supposed to handle better, it did ride better. Yes, I know it's not the family car, but if your new family car wandered all over the road and had sloppy steering, you would want it corrected, wouldn't you. So why expect any less from an RV. If busses and 18 wheelers handled like this RV, then the highways would be even more unsafe. As far as the noise, I believe I didn't make myself clear enough in my original post, So, here goes. I beleive the Tiffin Allegro I test drove wasn't serviced before putting on the lot, the front end probably wasn't correctly aligned and tire pressure probably hadn't been checked, so this may explain the handling problem, but you can bet that before I sign on the dotted line, it will drive to my satisfaction. Now on to the noise, the first noise sounds more like engine, and could only be be heard on the drivers side, like the dog house wasn't fastened on that side, maybe. The other noise was described by the salesman as the "tuning fork noise" caused by the grille vibrating at highway speed. He said they had come across that before. Their fix was to remove the grille and drill holes in the back and insert a rod through the holes to change the resonance, Max you hit the nail on the head.
As a side note. I contacted another dealer, that I had bought from before and told him of the problems I came across on the one I test drove. He offered to order me one optioned the way my wife wants and have it to our satifaction before we take delivery. this dealer didn't have any Allegro 32's on the lot, and the other dealer had one. Once again thanks to all for your input. I'm going to order one.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #13

Having had class A motor homes for the last 35 years, all front engine rigs, I have suffered the bad handling blues. I have spent obcene amounts of money on steering stabilizes and after market stuff to make the factory manufactured chassis give some sembelanve of decent handling. When I stop and think about it I tolerated crummy service and handing that I would not tolerate in my street car. Well I finaly got sick of the modified bread truck chassis and bought a coach with a commercial bus chassis and a rear mounted diesel engine. No chassis modifications, no ad on stabilizers, no wallet draining accessories. Just good handling, decent ride, and comfort. Sorry, just sounding off.

1990 Foretravel
Old 09-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #14

Yes, nhgeezer, I know how you feel. I like Tiffin's Allegro 32LA fit, finish and floorplan and like you I have had a fill of Ford's crappy bread truck. I too, would like a rear engine coach, but I don't know about diesel. With the extra expense of purchasing a diesel and the cost of diesel fuel going out the roof, because of the Feds new fuel standards, I think I'll stick with gas. I sent an email to Tiffin as to their plans to build on the Workhorse UFO chassis and got a terse one line reply "No, not at this time". I still think Tiffin builds one of the better coaches, but so much for customer relations. I don't want anything over 32 to 33 feet, all I've seen so far on the UFO are 37 feet and larger. I don't want to wait until 2009 or longer for the MH manufacturers to get their butts in gear and make something that drives and handles the way it should, with a gas engine. I'm already getting old and getting older everyday, so I would like a MH that handles decent while I'm young enough to drive. Ok, so now I can get off my soap box.