Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I have one Ford dealer who will do the oil service, check fluids but no maintenance.

Same with closest Ford dealer here. Also consider mobile RV techs.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Any garage that can physically handle the height and weight of your coach. Some Ford dealers, some independent shops, and many Walmart auto centers. Ford dealers that handle the larger Ford trucks (medium and heavy duty) usually have service facilities for larger vehicles. Oil change shops that have a pit rather than a lift can usually do them as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Scott, when you use the Fumoto valve don’t you still need to change the oil filter, therefore still at least need an oil filter wrench?
Ya know TX,
I completely forgot about the filter. Yeah, I do use a rather large set of Craftsman 6" pliers to loosen that filter. But first, I use a punch to pop a hole in the bottom and then it drains into a small container. Forgot about that part. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadogjim View Post
Thanks Scott, I’m aware of the valve you mentioned and I was meant to install one but never dead because I wasn’t sure it wouldn’t open up as I was bouncing down the highway. I guess I’ll look for a truck service center that can do the job. Thanks for your input. Jim
Seadogjim,
As I stated in my original answer, the Fumoto valve has the lever which, MUST BE PUSHED UP then, it must be held in that spring loaded up position, while moving it in a horizontal movement, to open the valve. The chances of it accidentally opening up while traveling are oh, maybe one in 20 bazillion. The worry warts can worry about it if they choose. I have a GIANT rear axle, a 6" crossover exhaust pipe and, a lower section of the transmission that all are in the way of any type of paraphernalia that could even come CLOSE to "accidentally" bouncing up against that valve and, as stated, manipulate TWO DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS before it could be opened.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #18

Amrascal,
I have seen some quick change oil places(like maybe Pennzoil) that appear to have high clearance bays. Are those the places you mean? Can you give me some recommendations?
Thanks, Jim
seadogjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:49 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Amrascal,
I have seen some quick change oil places(like maybe Pennzoil) that appear to have high clearance bays. Are those the places you mean? Can you give me some recommendations?
Thanks, Jim
We have one in our area labeled as a "Shell" oil change facility (west Georgia)- looks pretty much like all other oil change franchises I have seen . Seems like its part of a chain but might be independent. They do all types of lubrication. While I do my own oil change and greasing, I do use them to check the differential oil and they charge about $15 for that check.

They have 2 bays with pits, both large enough for me to pull in our 38Q with room to spare and they allow me to go down in the pit to observe the underside of the rig. Its good as I can eyeball everything easily underneath for a good check- much easier than crawling around on a creeper at home. I have seen Jiffy and Pennzoil lube shops but don't know if their bay sizes (height , width and length) are ok. I called ahead before I took the rig over and they said no problem, so I went and all went quite easily.

As I get older and less mobile I am starting to consider using them for the oil change and Lube in addition to the differential check. But I might specify my own oil and filter selection if I do use them.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #20

Amrascal,
I found one service called Express oil change and tire engineers who said they could fit my rig no problem and have a pit to change the oil. They have locations in about 20 states, mainly in the south. Told him I was about 13 feet tall and on a Ford V 10 chassis and he said they Could fit me in no problem and had the oil and filter for my engine in stock. No appointment needed and he said it would take about 30 minutes so guess I’ll give them a try.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Hi, where is the best place to get an oil change on a class A motorhome. Mine is a Ford chassis with a V 10. Used to do it myself but now full-time and of course cannot do it in a RV park.
Would a large Ford dealership service department do it? Some RV dealer shops can but seem to be overpriced. Appreciate any suggestions or advice.
Thanks, Jim

The oil & filter all change from under your Ford V10 and that can all be done in under 10 minutes with no jacking up of the vehicle. I doubt anyone in the RV park is going to know what you're doing.....much less care.
Just remember to properly dispose of your used oil at most auto supply stores.
Stay safe.
Oversoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #22

Oversoul,
Thanks for the reply. I used to do it myself at home and as you say it was pretty simple. I would loosen the drain plug so it would drip into a funnel in a milk drug for a slow and controlled drain of the oil overnight. Same for the oil filter. Minimum mess. Just not interested in crawling under and doing that anymore If I can find a place that will do it reasonably.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #23

For those that want to change their own oil one trick I used for my motorcycle and truck when I was living in a hotel (boss paid for it) was to go the local dollar store and get plastic shower curtain for a buck or two and put that down before I started the oil change. Never spilled a drop on the parking lot. One other thing to think about is using a pump that goes down the dip stick tube. I won't get every drop of oil but most of it and you pump it into a milk jug or old oil jug. Just don't trust milk jugs for too long they will leak after a while. Also I know that at least a couple of Tractor Supply stores I'm aware of have oil recycling tanks. The clerks may not even know it's there so ask the manager or ask the clerk to check in the back room. I know I was the second person on the log in one and the first on the other one. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #24

For my 2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, Ford V10, I plan to use a local Ford Dealer. I called ahead and verified that they do motorhomes. Some Ford dealers don't. The RV dealer I bought from charges around $250 for the oil change.....Robbery!
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #25

armullis,
Definitely! A local shop in Alabama told me they could do it for between 55 and $75.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:43 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seadogjim:
Any chance you are near the AL/GA border around Valley/ Opelika/ West Point? If you are near could you please share that Ford/ Service location in AL?

I'm trying to keep a Ford dealer near us that will work on motorhomes on my availability list for warranty work. Haven't found any west of ATL. The dealer in LaGrange, GA won't touch motorhomes (but I do have a great F53 mechanic close by thankfully!)

Thanks

Joe
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a