Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
we find that $50+ per night (maybe higher in some parts of the country) gets rid of most undesirable aspects.
H. Miller
$50+ per night has "gotten rid of" these particular "undesirable aspects" for over 30 years.
Mel & Paula
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Super C - Not trying to be an elitist or kid hater (served our time) but are the Class A only higher priced parks and resorts better controlled in general? We are old and just looking for reasonable peace,quiet and sanity.
Our RV experience is very limited. One time in a state park in a 5thW and had 4 grand kids with us. A good time!! That was several years ago. Now we are also old and wanting to

We have had our MH for about 2 months now and have taken 2 trips. The first was to a commercial CG in San Antonio next to Sea World. I was hoping to have some outgoing neighbors from whom I could glean info about this new venture we had taken up. It might as well been a graveyard for all the "action" we found. I did run into a couple of guys in the bath house but there's an acceptable mode of behavior in those situations for guys - keep your mouth shut. My only complaint with that CG was a lack of interpersonal contact with my neighbors. We were close enough to the pool/store to walk but could hardly hear the kids swimming. Bedtime was quiet and calm.

The second trip was over Memorial Day at the Matagorda Bay Nature Park. Lots of kids and dogs in tents, trailers, and motorhomes. We had a great time. River on one side, gulf and beach on the other. I CANNOT THINK OF ONE THING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!! When it got dark, it got quiet. Slept like a baby. Only beer I saw was in my hand.

Maybe we were just lucky having our first two trips be good, fun experiences. Maybe looking for a good fun time had something to do with it. Attitude and expectations are important, as is a high level of tolerance of others behavior. The class A might be more sound proof, I don't know. I sleep with a noise machine so it would take very loud commotion to bother me.
So, AZ99 get a class A, get your mind right and enjoy the trip.
Mike

Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Super C - Not trying to be an elitist or kid hater (served our time) but are the Class A only higher priced parks and resorts better controlled in general? We are old and just looking for reasonable peace,quiet and sanity.
Our RV experience is very limited. One time in a state park in a 5thW and had 4 grand kids with us. A good time!! That was several years ago. Now we are also old and wanting to

We have had our MH for about 2 months now and have taken 2 trips. The first was to a commercial CG in San Antonio next to Sea World. I was hoping to have some outgoing neighbors from whom I could glean info about this new venture we had taken up. It might as well been a graveyard for all the "action" we found. I did run into a couple of guys in the bath house but there's an acceptable mode of behavior in those situations for guys - keep your mouth shut. My only complaint with that CG was a lack of interpersonal contact with my neighbors. We were close enough to the pool/store to walk but could hardly hear the kids swimming. Bedtime was quiet and calm.

The second trip was over Memorial Day at the Matagorda Bay Nature Park. Lots of kids and dogs in tents, trailers, and motorhomes. We had a great time. River on one side, gulf and beach on the other. I CANNOT THINK OF ONE THING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!! When it got dark, it got quiet. Slept like a baby. Only beer I saw was in my hand.

Maybe we were just lucky having our first two trips be good, fun experiences. Maybe looking for a good fun time had something to do with it. Attitude and expectations are important, as is a high level of tolerance of others behavior. The class A might be more sound proof, I don't know. I sleep with a noise machine so it would take very loud commotion to bother me.
So, AZ99 get a class A, get your mind right and enjoy the trip.
Mike
Suggest you head to Kerrville and stay at Buckhorn Lake RV Resort . Plenty of friendly folks there willing to share RV experiences. Plus it is a really nice place.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #18

FWIW All I can think of is that the OP only went out on the party weekends we learned to avoid many years ago because it was loaded with folks who wanted to party. We travel mostly shoulder season and do local parks mid week when a lot of good sites are available because the weekends are booked early due to the reservation system. Almost always quiet that way. Sometimes we wish there was a bit more activity. ;-)
Old 06-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #19

Thanx for all the replies. So look for $50+ or 50 year old plus.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been RV'ing since 1957. Been in may campgrounds over the years, some very nice and some not as nice or even over night at Wal*Marts. Grew up with RV's, camped with kids as they grew and now they're on their own. Now kids (and adults) playing and having fun is what camping is about. Don't like the drunks though.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:33 PM   #21

I don't really think that the Class A MH, or type of RV has as much to do with it as the CG you pick and what draws people to them. Like said there are plenty of 50+ age parks where you can go, that are nice and relaxing. When we take our grandkids with us we go to the parks that cater to kids, definitely more than $50 a night, but you are going to have more noise, kids playing, and bon fire type things, so we are prepared for that.

One of the worst experiences we have had was at a CG that is high end, $100 a night, and a family with 3 RV's parked all around us. They had several kids, and multiple families, who thought it was better to play soccer between the MH's/RV's rather than go to the big grass field about 50 yards away. They were actually using our MH as a backstop, the second time their soccer ball hit our MH I nicely asked them to stop and go play on the field. For the rest of the trip a couple of the parents kept walking by giving us dirty looks, making loud comments about the "people who hated kids".

So even price may not have anything to do with it as much as the luck of the draw, and how rules are enforced by those who run the CG. I will say that for the most part for over 40+ years of RV'ing we have always had a good time no matter who our neighbors were, that's all part of the experience.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #22

Let me preface this by saying I do not play well with people that do not follow the posted rules. Nor campgrounds / parks that fail to enforce them. When I used to teach martial arts, one of the prime things I used to stress to my students was the importance of ". . . not being there". (Don't be in places where trouble is likely to occur. Be aware of your surroundings. If it looks like things are going sour, get! The very best defense is to not be there!). I check the various RV park review websites in areas we plan to visit. I avoid areas likely to be problematic or only visit midweek or during the off season. Some of the most expensive rigs have carried some of the most self-centered young RV'ers we've encountered. We have had very few problems because I realize that for many, their having a good time (and way too often with the toy hauler crowd that means thinking their kids can do anything anywhere) is perfectly okay at my expense. We simply do not go where they do when they do. We do tend to patronize the most expensive parks in the area. We tend to stay a week at a time so we usually get put in a different section than the weekend warriors. But most importantly, I just will not be found in a popular area at a popular time. One other thing. I always ask about rule enforcement at check-in. That can be very telling. We stayed at two great parks near the coastal redwoods last winter. Both were dead quite that time of year, but I wondered about during the summer. Both times I was treated to stories of how they had thrown people out who refused to follow posted rules after being warned.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #23

In the four seasons we ran our Class A (32' Georgetown), the only times we ran into rowdy kids and crowded parks was on Friday evening through Sunday afternoon (Monday on 3-day holiday weekends). Were retired, so we started a routine where we left home after Sunday breakfast and arrived at our destination late that afternoon when all the rowdies and kids were packing up to go home. We had a good choice of empty lots and it was quiet. Head for home Friday afternoon, before the rowdies showed up again.

For longer trips, we specifically look for CGs which had some fairly secluded sites or those with lots of space around the their sites. One of the best we found was Beebe Bridge County Park near Lake Chelan, eastern Washington. The spaces between sites are as big as 200' in parts of the park.

The best deal we ever got was the day after Labor Day, when the rangers had gone for the winter. Only 8 sites were occupied and the fee was $5 a night.The park belongs to the local electrical utility, so there were people stopping by to empty trash cans and such.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
....Very few children at these parks and the few that are there are better behaved IMHO.
I'm not sure it's that the kids themselves are any different than the kids elsewhere ... my theory is that there's rarely enough of them that they never reach the critical mass required to sustain the incessant screaming and yelling that just grates on ya!!!!
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Camp Mostly in state parks and COE.Avoid holidays and week ends.Best camping is before memorial day and after labor day.Not crowded and cheaper.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I suggest you don't waste your money. The price of camp and type of motorhome wont change your attitude. Stay home.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:43 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
I suggest you don't waste your money. The price of camp and type of motorhome wont change your attitude. Stay home.
Whats wrong with them wanting peace and quiet when they camp?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
There are of course the "over 50 only" parks but we find that $50+ per night (maybe higher in some parts of the country) gets rid of most undesirable aspects.
I totally agree; although we once did find that high prices did not deter the partiers, and drunkness. French Quarter RV resort during a Saints game weekend is a mess of rented Cl A MH's full of partiers and drunks, @ over $80/night.
Monday they left, replaced by a Prevost rally, really nice quiet folks the rest of the week.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a