Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 07:28 AM   #29

Whenever kids or partiers bother me in a RV park or campground I remind myself that at one time I once was one... and then the other.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
We had a Super C that was never used for camping or going to RV parks. It then changed use and we decided to start going on some trips with it and stay at RV parks up and down the east coast with intentions of going west.
We got so turned off by staying in RV parks of all price ranges with all the noise ,commotion, screaming unsupervised kids,drunks, etc. that we sold it. It seemed that no matter how strict the rules were, the owners or staff never wanted to confront anyone no matter how far outside the lines the behavior was. A night in a Walmart lot was enjoyable.

Not trying to be an elitist or kid hater (served our time) but are the Class A only higher priced parks and resorts better controlled in general? We are old and just looking for reasonable peace,quiet and sanity.

We are considering a new RV and we were leaning toward Class A for this specific reason.

Any comments? Thanx
We also seek CL A only resorts, partially for the same reason. They tend to be much quieter and rules are more strictly enforced. Particularly in ownership resorts. An added bonus is you don't have the noise of diesel powered tow vehicles running through the area all day long.

Yes, it is a different crowd from your run of the mill RV park or campground. We find it quite to our liking.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Back when we were "weekend warriors" we avoided our beautiful Wisconsin state parks once schools let out for summer. Somehow the "party" always seemed to end up in the site next to us. We booked sites in the spring and fall instead. They are popular not only because they are beautiful, but the are relatively cheap too.

One of our favorite parts of the country is the Black Hills of South Dakota. Many threads have been started asking where the best place to stay is when there. We'll avoid the KOA, for example, one reason being they have a zillion things and activities to attract families. We prefer something much more quiet and relaxed and have found a place that fits the bill for us. Bottom line, research parks in the area you wish to visit to see what type of amenities and activities they offer. Are they "family friendly", or limited to a swimming pool and shuffle board courts?

As I type this we are parked at Two Rivers Landing, Sevierville TN. There's a thousand RV parks or campgrounds in this area, most will have big playgrounds, campfire programs, or other activities to attract families spending time in the area. We have a beautiful site 30 feet from the river and while there is a very small playground in the park, I've not yet seen one person in the park that looks to be under 60. There are other parks in the area where you'd likely share a similar experience. You just have to look for them.

It has nothing to do with the class of RV you have, where we are is not class restricted (although to be on a water front site you will need a motor home, of some sort, due to the location of the hookups). Class A restricted parks do, however, tend to be higher end and less likely to cater to kids or those on a tight budget.

Do a little homework and you might just decide that RV travel is THE way to go!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Not trying to be an elitist or kid hater (served our time) but are the Class A only higher priced parks and resorts better controlled in general? We are old and just looking for reasonable peace,quiet and sanity.
I can't imagine a Class-A park that wouldn't allow a Super-C, but you might call and ask. Most have discretion.

We have kids and I have no issue with an adult-only park. I did have a slight issue with the age-requirement parks when we were building a house, but I respect private property rights.

Parks that don't enforce the rules can be bad experiences when the patrons behave badly.

Parks that over-enforce - some of them are intolerant and can be nasty to new patrons that drive up. Basically if they've had a bad day, they're going to let you know it.

I've found that the best way to get away from the drunks and bad behavior is to spend the money at a higher price park. This isn't practical if you're going to stay for a month, but I've never had a problem at a park where I'm paying $60/day. Last one I stayed at had hired security and made sure that you didn't get to come in if you were not a paying customer. (This was an ownership park, as indicated above)

I have stayed at some marginal ownership parks that were bleeding money, not maintained properly, and you could tell that they didn't even bother to enforce the maintenance assessments from the "owners". Again, lower price point...

It doesn't prevent people from getting loud and obnoxious, but it's certainly a lot less frequent and more likely to be handled at a park where people expect more.....
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
I really, REALLY have a problem with the both these groups...

so much that I've asked restaurants for adult only seating !

and the partiers get on my bad side unless they share the alcohol
Old 06-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery

Avoid weekends. Avoid RR tracks and crossings. Avoid end of runways. Avoid up next to 4 lane highways. Avoid mobile home parks. Avoid old run down parks. Avoid hospitals and next to fire depts.
And the choices get slimmer. We've moved to avoid barking dogs and drunks. Kids go to bed.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #35

I am glad

I'm really glad Class A MH over 50 YO camp grounds exist. There is less chance I would have to be parked next to some old fuddy duddy serenading themselves with Mozart music.
I go to a campground to socialize, often taking my children and grandchildren along with my wife and me. I honestly don't care who is camped next to me. If they are noisy then probably they are having a good time. Chances are I will meander over there and join in.
The thought some CG's would not allow anything less than a Class A would be enough for me to pass right on by.
I enjoy a campfire, I have a few (maybe more) beers and can hold my own playing yard games. If I see a stranger walk by I will wave and say HI!
When they do walk by they might hear some country music or even hard rock.
If someone wants to wither away in solitude I guess it's their choice.
Enjoy
Lynn
Old 06-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #36

Don't just go and park your arse in one place for a week or more at a time, keep moving, TOURING, seeing local museums, sights, historic locations, etc., let the RV park or state park become a place to spend the night. Get out and see things.

Charles
Old 06-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Don't just go and park your arse in one place for a week or more at a time, keep moving, TOURING, seeing local museums, sights, historic locations, etc., let the RV park or state park become a place to spend the night. Get out and see things.
Charles
CharlesinGA
Are you saying that what's right for you is right for everyone?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:28 AM   #38

Prefer my camping done as privately as possible, so we avoid "parks" and "resorts". We head for state parks and others offering some type of buffering between campsites.

We avoid weekends when the kids are out of school. If that's not possible, we avoid campgrounds featuring water activities. That works really well.... one of the better tricks we've learned.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:49 AM   #39

Timing is everything, we avoid RV parks on the big holiday weekends, last year on the 4th of July we were boondocking in a grove of Aspen trees in Colorado . For the first time in our lives we heard no fireworks on the 4th, also many state parks are nearly empty certain times of the year and the rates sometimes go down.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:49 AM   #40
Community Moderator

Quote:
We are old and just looking for reasonable peace,quiet and sanity.

We are considering a new RV and we were leaning toward Class A for this specific reason.

Any comments? Thanx

Make sure to avoid the entry level RV's which are not insulated well, and only have single pane windows. Good insulation and double pane windows cut out lots of the noise.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #41

The only bad experience we've ever had with folks partying loudly until 2AM was at state/county park. But like others, we seek out the ownership parks when we can find them, but most importantly, we read the reviews before we go. Honestly, we have had more poor experiences with the condition and maintenance of some parks than with unruly neighbors.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:35 AM   #42

From my experiences, troublesome kids are and come from troublesome parents. A man I talked to recently commented that from his observations, kids with their parents are not disciplined or supervised. Kids with their grandparents are more likely to be considerate and respectful of other people. We are in Dawson Creek for a couple of days and there are 2 TT across from us with a host of little ones. The mothers allowed there kids to fill and throw water balloons in the laundry and bath house making more mud and a flooded building. The b***h just stood there, smoked her cancer stick and made no discipline or comments to them. We aren't staying so or using those facilities so I'll just hold my tongue.

Holiday weekends at parks that are near bodies of water and population concentrations, tend to have noisy drunken adults and unsupervised kids. We try to avoid them where possible.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a