Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
We had a Super C that was never used for camping or going to RV parks. It then changed use and we decided to start going on some trips with it and stay at RV parks up and down the east coast with intentions of going west.
We got so turned off by staying in RV parks of all price ranges with all the noise ,commotion, screaming unsupervised kids,drunks, etc. that we sold it. It seemed that no matter how strict the rules were, the owners or staff never wanted to confront anyone no matter how far outside the lines the behavior was. A night in a Walmart lot was enjoyable.

Not trying to be an elitist or kid hater (served our time) but are the Class A only higher priced parks and resorts better controlled in general? We are old and just looking for reasonable peace,quiet and sanity.

We are considering a new RV and we were leaning toward Class A for this specific reason.

Any comments? Thanx
While we still haul around the Grand Daughters - we also travel alone - Time of year IMHO is the key to Quiet peaceful times in the RV.

We visited yellowstone one year in Late October and not only not many kids but not many People.

So now we generally try to do our (Just the two of us) travel in the off season,

Just works for us,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
Having a quality rig with dual pane windows helps. We also run the ac blower on "on" rather than "auto" when sleeping. The white noise helps a great deal with sleeping.

That said, like many we are selective of RV parks but apparently in a different way than most. First, we avoid any anything resembling a destination park (with family/group activities, etc). That would definitely include places like Jellystone parks. We avoid places with "KOA" or "Resort" in the name as they tend to be over priced and/or under maintained, and many cater to the destination crowd. We avoid state parks over holiday periods, knowing they will be rowdy at those times. Frankly, some of our most enjoyable stays have been at older RV parks, some even on the run down side. The few membership parks we have stayed in were not much better than other places we have stayed (One Thousand Trails was worse than most). We have never been to a Class A only park, and very rarely pay more than $30-$35 a night. It I have to pay $50 a night they need to be changing the sheets, sweeping the floor, and cooking my meals.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #45

We full time, and select our parks much like Paul does. We also have solar and boondock a fair amount as well.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Heading up to the lake next week to spend a Holiday weekend with 40,000 other people. In that crowd will be wild eyed fun grabbing kids, drunks, teenagers in love, athletes jogging in the morning, campfire partiers, old fogeys, bicyclists, sailors, boarders, sandcastle builders, fisherman, sun bathers, bikinis and cowboy hats....and that's just our group!!

.....but then I like to go back in October when it's quiet also.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Don't just go and park your arse in one place for a week or more at a time, keep moving, TOURING, seeing local museums, sights, historic locations, etc., let the RV park or state park become a place to spend the night. Get out and see things.

Charles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
CharlesinGA
Are you saying that what's right for you is right for everyone?

Mel, I'm pretty sure CharlesinGA stated nothing of the kind! My take is that he was encouraging everyone to just get out and USE that rolling house. That's pretty good advice in my book, from a number of standpoints:

• The more you use it, the less your cost per trip (amortize the depreciating asset over more use)
  • The more you use it, the less unscheduled maintenance you typically require (goes for your body as well, regarding regular exercise, but that's another thread altogether)
  • The more you use it, the more you are expanding your horizons (literally as well as figuratively).
  • The more you use it, the better you come to know it, and the better to treat it and maintain it = more future enjoyment because less things go wrong typically (are you sensing a common thread here?!?)
So just go out and USE the thing!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #48

Got to agree. To add a point - If you're out on day trips all day, you'll be tired enough to sleep through about anything going on in the campsite next to you!
Old 06-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Having a quality rig with dual pane windows helps. We also run the ac blower on "on" rather than "auto" when sleeping. The white noise helps a great deal with sleeping.

That said, like many we are selective of RV parks but apparently in a different way than most. First, we avoid any anything resembling a destination park (with family/group activities, etc). That would definitely include places like Jellystone parks. We avoid places with "KOA" or "Resort" in the name as they tend to be over priced and/or under maintained, and many cater to the destination crowd. We avoid state parks over holiday periods, knowing they will be rowdy at those times. Frankly, some of our most enjoyable stays have been at older RV parks, some even on the run down side. The few membership parks we have stayed in were not much better than other places we have stayed (One Thousand Trails was worse than most). We have never been to a Class A only park, and very rarely pay more than $30-$35 a night. It I have to pay $50 a night they need to be changing the sheets, sweeping the floor, and cooking my meals.

Excellent post. I agree with everything here. Coaches vary widely in how well they sound insulate. I recommend when shopping for coaches, pay attention to this. Go in a coach & close the door & Windows and quietly listen. Also turn up the TV and go outside & see if you can hear the TV. We have a 13 year old coach & with the fan on as suggested for some "white noise", we can sleep soundly at truck stops and WalMarts. I'm rarely aware of anything going on outside.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have 3 Coleman Mach 8s, the noisiest ACs on the market. I sleep like a baby, but the surrounding kids and drunks complain about the noise of my ACs.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #51

So, as I catch up on this thread, I find myself sitting at Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort. This is not a place we would normally find ourselves this time of year, in fact, our original plans were to be at Pacific Shores Motorcoach Resort in Newport, Oregon. The only thing these two places have in common is the fact that they are both on the beach in places named Newport. Anyway, as we found ourselves having to change all of our plans this summer due to unexpected health issues, we were delighted to find 4 days in a row that allowed us to get away locally and this place had a spot on a weekend. This place is everything the OP is trying to avoid. It is a great place to take the kids and keep them entertained, swimming, biking, sailing, boating, bounce houses, water slides, etc etc. there are kids riding bikes, skateboards and everything else throughout the park. Sites are tight. There is a BBQ and craft beer festival a little ways down the beach (the smells of all those BBQ pits were incredible) and all in all there is just a lot of noise and activity going on everywhere. We were reminded that while this is certainly not our cup of tea anymore, it once was. Trying to cram as much fun into a small amount of time away from the job, not too far from home, decompressing with a glass of wine or a beer or two with some like minded friends, maybe getting a bit loud. While the >$50 parameter would not have excluded this place (it's somewhat pricey), others mentioned would. It's definitely a destination, at the beach in summer, near or in a large city, lots of amenities targeted at kids and families, oh, and within minutes of Disneyland. We'll enjoy our brief respite here. We'll head out on the bikes today and see what we can find, maybe sit out on the beach and read a book. The great thing about an RV Is that you always have the best accommodations and you can count on the bed and more importantly the pillows being just right. The rest is just noise.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #52

I have a Class A MH. My wife and I are welllllll over 50 YO.
That being said I'd camp next to you any day of the week. I promise we wouldn't run out of beer or stories to tell. All my stories would be true though.
Stuck up? Not! What is in your toy hauler? I have ATV's, snowmobiles, tractors and more toys than you have. Maybe.
I have kids too. 44 and 42. What a pair they are! Both have children and I love spending time with all of them. When I was younger we had a seasonal campsite for 18 years in a campground 22 miles from home. My wife and the kids spent nearly all summer there while I drove back and forth to work.
I have lived in the country all my life. Quiet and somewhat secluded. When we get out I love socializing with other people.
Want to boondock? No problem. Park in my driveway for a while. You will have access to 200 acres of well managed land to enjoy. Wildlife galore and even a site with a firepit, picnic table, benches and even a 19' camper my grandchildren "camp out" in. We have friends stop by often for impromptu cook outs. They get there by ATV.
There is a seat made for every butt. Not all butts are the same size so find a seat which fits you. Mine is already taken.
LOL
Lynn
Old 06-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #53

We have camped for more than 40 years. Started with a pop up. Then class C, now a class A. Thru the years we probably were by your definition, drunk,loud, kids and dog running everywhere etc.. Kids did not run thru other sites but did talk to everyone. Sorry but we were making memories. Kids and dogs are gone, we are now old geezers camping in quiet resorts. Darn I miss the joy of family camping.
jdealcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:54 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Well, there's always boondocking. We drove down a dirt road in Arizona to get a closer look at Devil's Canyon and tucked away at the end of the road was a family in an RV boondocking. There was no one around for miles and only the occasional car driving by. Sounds like that might be for you.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #55

To each his own.

We boondock and use remote campsites as much as possible. That's the main reason we did not go with an A this time around as it would not fit in most of the spots we like.

The only time we use RV parks is when the location/destination is the reason to be there like when we visit the kids in Nashville and nothing else is close by. When we're on the road we just overnight in rest stops. We consider RV parks to be like hotel rooms and expect there to be noise and kids and be close to your neighbors. Can't see staying in RV parks for any other reason at this point as the neighbors are closer to us in most RV parks than at home.

If we were full timing it we'd most likely head out west and try to find somewhere to boondock. If we still had small kids then I'm sure we'd be staying in RV parks more but most likely not Memorial Day, labor Day, or the Fourth of July weekends. July and August at Yellowstone would be out also. Nothing wrong with that, just depends on what you're looking for.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #56

We haven't found a spot yet our little 30' class "A" won't fit into. That versatility is exactly why we bought the one we did. We can park it anywhere from a luxury class "A" only resort, to a pullout on the side of the road. NP campgrounds are easily accessible also.

Finding the right place to park your RV Is definitely a personal choice. I think the OP laid out what they were looking for in that regard. I also think that the replies should give the OP some good ideas on how to find them. I would recommend that the OP take some time and research some places using those parameters and consider any limitations they find when choosing the right RV for them.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a