Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #1

Class A or Super C - ???

We are looking at moving up from a 42 foot toy hauler to either a class A diesel or a Super C Diesel. The choice for diesel is to tow. We will need bunks (4 kids) and will y
Use the rig for desert (riding) and summer travel longer distances.

I do not know how each ride, but am concerned the Super C looks like there is a loss I. Space because of truck front length.

We don't want to go larger than 36 or so because of state parks and beaches.

Let me have it.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtkrw View Post
We are looking at moving up from a 42 foot toy hauler to either a class A diesel or a Super C Diesel. The choice for diesel is to tow. We will need bunks (4 kids) and will y
Use the rig for desert (riding) and summer travel longer distances.

I do not know how each ride, but am concerned the Super C looks like there is a loss I. Space because of truck front length.

We don't want to go larger than 36 or so because of state parks and beaches.

Let me have it.....
First let me state my POV. I own a 42 Class A. With that said, I would think a Super C may fit the bill for you. You cannot beat the towing capability on some of the truck based super Cs. You will have more basement storage on an A as there is no driveshaft running down the middle. As far as servicing the chassis, the Super C wins hands down. It is a truck after all, and every truck shop will be familiar with the chassis. They won't need to be working through the floor in your coach, which will definitely keep the house cleaner. There is plenty of sleeping capability for the kids over the cab. Never having driven a super C I can't comment on the ride, but I can see no reason that an airbag suspension should be any different. The down side to the super C is if you ever intend to stay at a motor coach only resort, most will not allow super Cs, even though I think that is a ridiculous rule. The bottom line is find a model with a floorplan that works for you and go with it.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #3

I will echo Cbones comments. We have a short super C on a freightliner for that very reason. Hubby figured you can find a freightliner mechanic just about anywhere and he has a thing for diesels. . Some Dynamax models have a cab over option, ours does not. Renegade also makes a nice super c. Holland Motorhomes in Holland Michigan has a nice website, they market both manufacturers I think. The Dynamax website is really nice too with all the standard floor plans. The thing I really like about the super c actually is the truck-type cab. We both have our own doors! I know that may sound a little silly, but we haven't been in an A were we both had door. Since I don't drive the rig, I was always sitting 2 ft behind my husband with my feet dangling in the stairwell of an A.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #4

Towing with a gas Class A

Even though the hitch rating is 5k lbs can a class A gas @ 36 or 37 feet to more?