Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 10:59 PM   #1

Class A Paint Jobs!

I'm curious how many people have had the experience of getting their Class A painted! Full or partial? What's the process? Do they strip the old, primer etc. like a car? I'm not in need of paint for the entire Coach, just thinking about getting the front end done, as the Diamond Shield looks like hell. Also, if you have done paint, what did you pay? Anybody out that's had Rinoliner or similar applied? Just hoping to start a thread and gather some info.
Scott98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 03:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not in need of an entire paint job but do need the front upper and rear cap painted along with the side upper radius. Clearcoat is peeling and some of the paint coming off. It had been painted before by the factory but still has issues. In doing a search you'll see plenty of problems like this. I also have a checking problem but am not about to pay to have the siding replaced on the coach to cure that problem. Anyway you could take a look at "Mike's Custom Painting" site. They are located in Indiana and show the process that the coach will go thru in the event you need a partial or full paint job. I had a quote from them last year to do our upper section. It was $1800. I know it may be a bit more this year but will try and get it over to them to have my problem addressed.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott98 View Post
I'm curious how many people have had the experience of getting their Class A painted! Full or partial? What's the process? Do they strip the old, primer etc. like a car? I'm not in need of paint for the entire Coach, just thinking about getting the front end done, as the Diamond Shield looks like hell. Also, if you have done paint, what did you pay? Anybody out that's had Rinoliner or similar applied? Just hoping to start a thread and gather some info.
You might be pleasantly surprised after the Diamond Shield is removed how good the front will look without it!! At least mine & others I've seen have looked great.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Had much of mine repainted after an accident. Sand, fill, prime as needed, and then paint. Just like any other vehicle.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Class A Paint Jobs!

I just had the Diamondshield removed and replaced. It was in pretty bad shape at 11 yr old. Took one guy two and a half days. Very happy with it. Oops like a new coach now. It's hard to imagine the difference it makes.
jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott98 View Post
Painting a class A, as in "Full body paint" (the way coaches are listed in many coaches are listed and optioned out) is a laborious and lengthy process. And, as has been stated, it's very similar to standard vehicle painting. But, painting fiberglass etc. has its own issues. And, the type and quality of the paint/materials/ used today, based on all kinds of air control qualities, disposal, regulations, and much more, drives the price up considerably more than yesteryear.

All in all, in a full body paint job, done even remotely correctly, will run approximately $15,000-$20,000. The higher the quality and materials and desired design/outcome, the higher the price. Graphics and styles take time and labor and, that's more money.

Some have gone down to Mexico for getting work done and, some have come back with fairly nice results. But, how long any of them have lasted and, up close and personal looks, I've not seen. So, take your chances. But, in America, it's a pretty substantial undertaking, if you want a quality job.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just toured the Tiffin paint plant. It's unreal how labor intensive the paint process is. Sanding prepping masking painting clearing. Lots and lots of labor.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #8

Just had my whole front cap done in Rhinoliner. Really like the look and no more rock chips.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, paint