Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
Class A painting

I am starting to get some peeling of paint along the top (where it curves to the roof) and one side shows little white streaks (checks) on my 2005 Airstream 396 XL Diesel Pusher (40'). I am thinking I need at least some touch up if not a repaint. I live in Oregon but am in California not too infrequently, and Washington and Idaho and Nevada are not too far. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good RV paint shop? What should I plan (cost and time) for for a full body repaint?

Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Have not yet entered owner status, but one of my things to do consisted of checking prices if I bought one needing a total paint redo. $20,000 $15,000 for partial. They had a six month waiting list. Someone mentioned Mexico in another thread. I don't know if the savings would be worth the risk.

Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
If you are talking strictly about the area where the roof meets the sidewalls, then you don't need a full body repaint if the rest of the coach paint is in good condition. I had paint peeling around the curved transition area between the roof and sidewall and had the whole area (including the top of the front and rear cap) sanded and repainted for $2900. This was for a 40' Travel Supreme. Any good body shop should be able to do this.
2007 Travel Supreme Envoy 40DS04
Shanwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with Jeff. I certainly wouldn't spend the kind of money it costs to redo the entire rig in full-body paint if the majority of the coach exterior is in good shape. Just get a good body shop to fix all body issues. Get all the little scratches and dents done at the same time. It should be a fraction of the price than for a full paint job and you'll still have a coach that will look like new, or close to it ...unless you REALLY dislike the current paint scheme or color of your coach now and just have to have the color scheme changed.

A good shop in the Portland area (and there are more than just this one, of course) is Joe's in Hillsboro (click here). They specialize in RV body and paint work. My brother-in-law had some collision repair done there on his motorhome as well as roof repair on his prior 5th-wheel and was very pleased with the work and the cost. They now even have a mobile repair unit that will come to you for minor body repairs or to give you an estimate on how much work you'll need (click here).

Here's the link again to their website: Joe's RV Collision Center
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:36 AM   #5
Yep, I am getting the same peeling on the curve of the front and rear cap of my 2004 Diplomat. Those take a solar beating. I plan on looking to get just those areas fixed at some point. Little things like that just make a rig look older than it would otherwise.

My AC covers are painted and not looking that great and I know the front one is very brittle and starting to crack. When I do this, I would get new covers and have them painted to match the rig as well. Looks better on full body paint than having gleaming white ones up there.

Anyway, in terms of full body re-paint, I've heard quotes starting at $22K and that is assuming prep only, no bodywork required. Sure, some shops will do it for less but the "get what you pay for" rule may apply.

Be sure to post your results!
Roaming Full-timer (10 years & counting)
2004 Monaco Diplomat DST
Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
tkcas01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #6
Thanks for the answers. Cost is in line with what I expected, unfortunately
I do have some checking of the paint on one side, where you see very small whitish lines in the right light, the other side is fine. I will probably just get the top part repainted for now. A good waxing still makes it look quite presentable but the peeling top "rail" looks quite bad.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:52 AM   #7
My friend has a Winnebago that was doing the same thing on the rounded part. He hand sanded this part and rolled on rust olem to match. It looks better then new. Up there you can not tell if sprayed or roll on. Am going to do my Monaco this summer. Cost 50 dollars
JHowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
Unfortunately I have 3 colors up there...will need a pro to match it all...
Old 07-25-2015, 01:13 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Wobster.....My Monaco Diplomat did exactly what your coach is doing. The roof line went bad and there was an area, in the dark paint, on one side that started to check.

Let's start with the checking. Checking is like cancer and runs into the fiberglass. The ONLY way to fix checking is to sand the paint down to fiberglass and use a new primer that is made just for this issue. If you don't follow this process, the checking will return quickly. This will make an entire repaint almost twice the price. If you can live with the checking, I would leave it alone.

On my roof line, I had three colors. For whatever reason, the manufacturers just can't resist using dark colors on the caps, which go bad more quickly and create a tremendous amount of heat vs lighter colors.

When they repainted mine, I selected a lighter color from my color scheme (tan) and had them paint from the windshield, up and over the top of the cap. They put a small arc at the edge of the windshield so it looked like there was originally a color change there. From that point on, I had them paint the entire roof line, above the rain rail, all the same color, even though I previously had other colors rolling over the edge of the roof. When they got to the back cap, I had them continue the lighter color down over the edge, just to the running lights. This created another natural looking stopping point for the lighter color. When it was completed, it was hard to tell the paint scheme had been changed unless you were very familiar with Monaco paint jobs.

There is a place here in Southern California that did my work. I selected them because they had a good reputation and parked my coach indoors at night. Mine was $3K to repaint the roof line and made it look like a new coach.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
camping world on wood village ( portland ) has a paint shop.
they painted a rear cap on a previous mh for me, looked better than new
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
I did not know the Wood Village CW had a paint shop...hmmmm
Old 07-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #12
Hi, I am new to the forum, but I had a 1986 c class totally painted for 900 in south TX. they did an awesome job. looked like brand new. It was in Santa Rosa

travelynnana is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, paint