Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Class A pointers

Hi all, not new to RV's but I am to the Class A's. I am planning a 2-3 week trip with my Wife & 15,17 yr old sons. Might be one of the last Family vacations we get to take before they get on with life. I am searching and reading up on the Class A's and would appreciate any suggestions as far as manufacturers/builders names to search.
Gas or diesel? I am thinking a gasser, my reason being after this initial trip, most of our will be short trips within a 1000 miles.On the flip side I have never driven a Class A and have no idea how a strong head wind would effect a gas engine and holding the speed limit? I am looking at used and a budget of 100k for purchase is my ceiling.
Anyways I am going to go back and search and read. Please let me know your adivice and any names that i need to search and read up on. Also any Rv Show in Texas? I live in South Texas area about 200 miles to Houston and 160 miles to SA.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are many factors when choosing a class A motorhome. First thing I would suggest is forget the speed limit, no matter what you choose. 75 MPH is too fast for these units, besides your best mileage is 65 and under. Second, will you be towing, traveling through the mountains or choosing a 36ft or larger coach? If you answered yes to any of those, choose a diesel pusher. Those are the main reason to choose diesel. The DP will cost you more to buy, but the resale is also higher. The DP will ride better and be a quieter ride. I have had both, I will never go back to a gas coach after driving our first DP. Set the cruise and go. The airbags and no noise from the engine are worth the extra cost, especially if you've ever had a V-10 down shift to 5000 RPM and sound like its coming apart. Good luck with your search and choice.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
KIX

I certainly don't have all the answers for you but, with a budget of 100K and not necessarily new you will find many diesel pushers that will meet your budget. Winnebago makes some very nice coaches (yes, we have one). In my opinion, the Ultimate series is a fine coach but the last Ultimate was built in 2004. YOu can still find one with around 40 * 50K miles (barely broke in). I suggest a diesel as, again, my opinion, they're heavier built and more comfortable in use. So, knowing what I know here's what I would look for:
1. Diesel pusher
2. Freightliner or Spartan chassis
3. Side radiator
4. Cummins ISC engine minimum in 40 footers
A Cat wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker.
5. Service records that indicate acceptable level of maintenance.

Good luck in your search.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #4

Awesome, thank you for the responses. I will be towing a 91 model Jeep Wrangler. Is there a Carfax for RV's? So you can see the service history on one?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootstrap View Post
Awesome, thank you for the responses. I will be towing a 91 model Jeep Wrangler. Is there a Carfax for RV's? So you can see the service history on one?
No "carfax" that I'm aware of but lots and lots of seller BS...........look at the maintenance records and have someone knowledgeable check it out.
The 91 YJ is a great towed........you've got the 4.0 6cyl, right?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
No "carfax" that I'm aware of but lots and lots of seller BS...........look at the maintenance records and have someone knowledgeable check it out.
The 91 YJ is a great towed........you've got the 4.0 6cyl, right?
I have the 2.5 four banger and a 5spd, love this little jeep
Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
KIX

Quote:
I have the 2.5 four banger and a 5spd, love this little jeep
Soi you don't have fuel injection..........but as long as you stay off the high Rockies you won't have any issues with the carburetor. Those 4 bangers seem to be like the Energizer Bunny.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I certainly don't have all the answers for you but, with a budget of 100K and not necessarily new you will find many diesel pushers that will meet your budget. Winnebago makes some very nice coaches (yes, we have one). In my opinion, the Ultimate series is a fine coach but the last Ultimate was built in 2004. YOu can still find one with around 40 * 50K miles (barely broke in). I suggest a diesel as, again, my opinion, they're heavier built and more comfortable in use. So, knowing what I know here's what I would look for:
1. Diesel pusher
2. Freightliner or Spartan chassis
3. Side radiator
4. Cummins ISC engine minimum in 40 footers
A Cat wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker.
5. Service records that indicate acceptable level of maintenance.

Good luck in your search.
x2

I would read everything you can on this forum and others, there's a wealth of info you can pick up. Also, I would read every listing on eBay in your price range, for several months. Most listings will have many pics and detailed description, there's a lot to learn there also. You will begin to get a feel for what pricing will buy you. You'll be buying used, so I would allow at least $10k for new tires, new batteries, and various fix-up expenses that nearly all used m/h require. You have several large dealers in TX. I would suggest PPL Motorhomes in Houston, a consignment dealer. I've never dealt with them, but they seem to have a good reputation and their asking prices online seem realistic. Good luck.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Browse through the classifieds here on IRv2. Class A Motorhomes - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
We bought a 2004 Georgetown 35' last December. It is gas and meets our needs just fine..

And Yes, we were able to get a Carfax report on it. It provided history from the chassis build clear through the current sale to the dealer. The main thing was that it confirmed regular maintenance by the original owner.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
KIX

I've heard of a dealer in San Antonio that is reportedly good........I think it's Iron Horse or something with the work Iron in it.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We own a gasser and tow a Jeep. No problems and we have no regrets. Be sure you like the floorplan since you will typically be spending more time in the "house" than rolling down the highway! Good luck and have fun.

I forgot to add that in Texas, you will likely need a Class B driver's license for a DP.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a gas coach and tow a pt Cruiser with absolutely NO problems. The Mountain Aire is probably the heaviest gas coach ever made. The Workhorse chassis is great with the 8.1 mated to the Allison trans. LOUD???? Hardly. A couple of my friends that own DP's went for a ride in our coach and were more in surprised as to how quiet it was and the comfort of the ride. It's works great for us and the maintenance cost as compaired to a DP is much more manageable. Good luck shopping and hope you find what works best for you.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #14

We have a new Allegro gas V10 coach pulling a Honda CRV which I have to check if it's still behind us with the rear view camera because you don't even feel it. Noise is no problem whatsoever. Perhaps the diesel pushers glide thru the wind as that is all I can hear other than climbing steep hills. So for 2% of the time driving I should spend upwards of $200k for this benefit.
Brand new gas unit is fine for us at just over $100k. PS I keep limit at 60 mph which is fine for us. No hurry to get anywhere.

Tags
class a