Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tom,
Well put. We did exactly as you said last year. The coach is a year old and all issues were fixed by a local dealer and there were only a few. We've had three TT's that were not made worth a hoot and two MH that were made well. A 1999 Newmar DS and now the WBGO. I can tell the difference in quality and the two MH's had it.

We took the factory tour, drove 1-mile and ordered the coach from Lichtsinn Motors and was treated well. We'd do it again.

If there's any negative comments they can throw them at both of us.

TeJay

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

Well I guess it's time for me to throw my 2 cents in.

I'm on my fourth Winnebago and think they build a high quality coach and have been for many years . The best part of it all is that they make all their own components except naturally the appliances. This is good as if you need a water tank down the road they have it.

I started out with a Class C and then went to bigger Class C and then to an Adventurer. It was well built and went all the way to AK and back with no problems . I now have a '14 Adventurer and the quality is superior. The Coach for example is of fine quality and comfortable to sit on as well as sleep on. The Driver and Passenger seats are top quality as well. To be honest with you I can't find anything on the coach that isn't quality built. The cabinets are wood and don'y fall off the walls. The drawers have high end sliders and stay closed. The exterior has full body paint which really looks nice. There compartments below make a tight seal when they close and the under side of the floor is aluminum plus the compartments themselves are sturdy plastic and not sheet plastic that gives when you put your weight on it.

The last thing I will say is to take a trip to Forest City, Iowa and tour the factory then go a mile away to Lichtsinn Motors and purchase your new Winnebago as they are good people you will be glad you did

Well I said my 2 cents and now watch the rebuttal but let's be fair they ( winnebago) have been building RV's for a long time and know what they are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Tom,
Well put. We did exactly as you said last year. The coach is a year old and all issues were fixed by a local dealer and there were only a few. We've had three TT's that were not made worth a hoot and two MH that were made well. A 1999 Newmar DS and now the WBGO. I can tell the difference in quality and the two MH's had it.

We took the factory tour, drove 1-mile and ordered the coach from Lichtsinn Motors and was treated well. We'd do it again.

If there's any negative comments they can throw them at both of us.

TeJay
Lichtsinn as well. Trend starting here.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #31

Did you do any price comparisons before going to Iowa?
Old 09-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #32

Unless you are spending Big Money you can expect poor quality control and quality in general....Even if spending Big Money you can end up with a Lemon...It's just the current climate in the RV Industry....Crank Them Out, worry about the problems later......
Old 09-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Genecop,

I'm sorry but I disagree with you as there are RV Manufacturers that are still caring about their customers and even though some RV's have mistakes in them there are more that don't.

You also have to understand that people ( who make these) do sometimes make mistakes. They may have been on break and when they returned to the line forgot what they were doing.

Like I stated in my original post go visit the factory in Forest City, Iowa and watch these houses on wheels being built. You could even go to other Rv manufacturers and watch theirs being built.

Lastly I will state that Winnebago will go the extra mile and take care of their coaches.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #34

I agree with Tom-NC, Newmar puts the same quality build into their gas coaches as they do the high end diesel pushers. I'm not sure of the stats but there are probably more gas coaches sold, to at least first time buyers, which a smart company would build them right and see that as good advertisement to build them right the first time. Alot of people buy more than one MH in their life and when they move up they will most likely go with a manufacturer who has proven quality.

Also don't assume that the higher quality MH is going to be way too expensive and not worth the extra money. When we were looking we found what we wanted in a lower end MH, but when all the dust settled we opted for the higher end level manufacturer and the price difference was only about $10k more. When you are at that price point to begin with $10k is not much more to spend. But what we got for $10k was amazing as well as giving us peace of mind. Visit your local dealer and see how many and what types of MH are sitting there waiting to be serviced, you would be amazed. Also when you get out camping and you visit with other RV'ers who bought new and had their MH in the shop for as many as 6 months the first year for repairs that should have never got beyond the assembly line.

I can't speak for all Newmar owners but we did not/have not experience that. Sure things will go wrong/ break ect., but you won't start off with it broke and if it does break you won't wait weeks or months to get it repaired. Drive them all before you make your decision and you will cleary see the differences in what you pay for. And you don't have to spend $300k to get a good quality MH.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #35

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra is hard to beat!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Genecop,

I'm sorry but I disagree with you as there are RV Manufacturers that are still caring about their customers and even though some RV's have mistakes in them there are more that don't.

You also have to understand that people ( who make these) do sometimes make mistakes. They may have been on break and when they returned to the line forgot what they were doing.

Like I stated in my original post go visit the factory in Forest City, Iowa and watch these houses on wheels being built. You could even go to other Rv manufacturers and watch theirs being built.

Lastly I will state that Winnebago will go the extra mile and take care of their coaches.

That's OK, but if you read enough you will find countless stories of customers who have had to deal with inferior workmanship time and time again....Winnebago, check out the David Bott Blog, he refused to take delivery of his "Top of the line " Motorhome and Winnebago did nothing...That's just one story of many...As long as the public will continue to turn a blind eye to this and accept it, the industry will keep delivering this inferior product....I work in quality control, while its not easy, it is possible to turn out a good product...Scratches and water leaks.....no excuse....BTW, people on this Forum have been chasing Entegra leaks for months..."Hard to Beat" that kind of fun....
Old 09-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are always going to be problems it's how they are taken care of that counts!!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
At the time of year we ordered the coach it was the change over from 2013 to 2014 and we needed to know the interior & exterior paint/color choices and trims being used. WBGO had made their choices but didn't have anything we could see at any dealers so the tour was one way of seeing them. When we finished the tour the driver offered to take any of us around their lot to look at 2014 finished coaches. We saw probably 20 coaches and were able to see all new interior/exterior paints, colors and Decor. That made it very easy to make our choices. That was something we couldn't even do by visiting dealers around the country. While visiting my brother in Houston in April of 2013 I was finally able to see the 2013 Vista 30-T (Itasca) to make some decision about floor plans. The DW didn't see one until we did the tour because there were none within a 250 mile radius of home.

When we did the tour one of the main bosses in the Decor area (interior & exterior color choices) spoke with us. It was at that time that we found out that you can order any color from either the WBGO or Itasca lines being offered that year but you will have to pay a small deviation fee. We liked everything about the WBGO Vista 30-T except the color of the seat/couch upholstery. It was almost white. We took advantage of that option and ordered the darker faux leatherette material offered on the Itasca line. We were not going to order a coach we planned on keeping for many years and have some choice of interior or exterior color that neither one of us really enjoyed looking at every day. Especially something as pronounced at the two front coach seats and the couch.

When we picked up the coach 7 weeks later we stayed in a local CG next to an 8 year older WBGO. I spent some time with them and after 8 years the Faux leatherette that was used on their coach seats and couch looked almost new. I was impressed with the quality and longevity. Would we have liked real leather??? Yes!!! But I also know Nauga herds are becoming endangered and we wanted to do our green part by using the Faux leatherette.

The number of coaches made weekly by WBGO varies with the demand. There were years when they were making 600 a week. When we ordered in 2013 they were making 150 a week. That is not a guarantee that they will me made to a higher standard. But all workers seemed relaxed and were very pleasant. JFYI.

There were also several modern machines (water jets) that were employed to assure consistent and better quality. Wall panels are cut in stacks of around 15 panels at a time using a water jet cutter. During the coarse of a day they would use only about 3 gallons of water to cut hundreds of panels. The same type of jets were used when cutting upholstery. All upholstery products were sewn by individual craftsmen (women) on machines. They were pleasant and appeared to be trying their best. Yes I realize they were being watched by visitors.

If any of you have ever worked any type of assembly line production you realize the pitfalls of that type of work. It can be absolutely awful. None of the workers seemed to be stressed to much by the work.

In the areas we visited there seemed to be good quality control always present. We're happy with the quality so far. There are also a lot of WBGO's still on the roads.

TeJay
Old 09-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Did you do any price comparisons before going to Iowa?
With the internet and telephone you can do most of your dealing from your living room. It is always good to know the price of things around so you know where you want to buy.

You have to make sure that you are all talking about the same things. Make your option list and stick to it. If the dealers are quoting on different options or models it is really tough to make a good comparison and value decision.

Some things are priceless.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #40

Quality

Might help if you tell us whether you are looking for gas or diesel, new, newer or used?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #41

I agree with the several posters who mention a continum of quality in a MFR. A good example is my own & beloved Forest River. Whereas I would not hesitate to recommend to you a Berkshire or Charlston (the top tier of their MH Class) I have heard a lot of folks complain about the Legacy & Georgetown lines.

When we went to the Goshen rally this year we toured the plant and I can say without a doubt that another factor to consider is the plant staff work ethic! As some may know, Forest River is based deep in the heart of Amish country and their plant workers are almost exclusively Amish. The ethos and work ethic of the Amish is contrary to shoddy construction and workmanship. So Rockwood (5th wheels and TT) and Berkshire MHs are well constructed and built (I know I toured the factory )

Just another factor to consider in your calculus of which MH to buy!

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, quality