Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #1

Class A quality

I have done a lot of searching but found vague answers. I apologize if this question has been asked a lot.

I was wondering if there was quality differences in different Class A motorhome manufacturers. And I'm sure everyone has there own opinion, but wondering if anyone had some insight on this. I currently have a Fleetwood Jamboree Class C motorhome and I'd like to switch over to class A. I'm extremely disappointed in the crappy Fleetwood construction and was wondering if big names in Class A carry that same type of quality?

Example, it seems that Thor Class A motorhomes come at a slightly lower price than others like Tiffin, Allegro, or Winnebago. Would that tell me the quality is lower? Is there a general consensus of who makes better quality rvs?

Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuebloPete View Post
I have done a lot of searching but found vague answers. I apologize if this question has been asked a lot.

I was wondering if there was quality differences in different Class A motorhome manufacturers. And I'm sure everyone has there own opinion, but wondering if anyone had some insight on this. I currently have a Fleetwood Jamboree Class C motorhome and I'd like to switch over to class A. I'm extremely disappointed in the crappy Fleetwood construction and was wondering if big names in Class A carry that same type of quality?

Example, it seems that Thor Class A motorhomes come at a slightly lower price than others like Tiffin, Allegro, or Winnebago. Would that tell me the quality is lower? Is there a general consensus of who makes better quality rvs?

Thank you.
This can get to be a politically charged sensitive topic but the short answer is yes. And not just class A's but accross the spectrum.

Obviously Newmar, Tiffin, Allegro, Foretravel and others are at the high end and you will expect every attention to detail taken care of (and for $350K starting price, you should! )

Do you have a price point that you are looking at or are all options open?

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #3

We've had our 2004 Newmar since new and it's been an excellent vehicle. They are a well-established company and didn't fail when other mfg. did a few years ago. We feel the inside quality work (cabinets, etc.) is very well-built - no staples in our drawers. Appliances have nothing to do with a manufacturer so you can't compare there. The outside finish can be compared to others and there are definitely good and bad ones out there. Customer service is another thing to look for. We haven't had issues. We chose the Newmar by first talking to a lot of Newmar owners in campgrounds. They highly recommended Newmar, as we do.

Some glorify Tiffin in Red Bay and being able to talk to good ole' Bob. Yes, customer service is there but we keep wondering why folks have to keep returning for repairs. Tiffin has had some serious construction issues in the past and they weren't corrected in future years. These issues shouldn't have happened in the first place. If you're looking for used, be sure to check these construction issues out first so you're not looking at a year that they have happened. I haven't followed it closely but you could easily find out by asking on one of these forums what years to stay away from.

Good luck in finding just the right one!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #4

Add Country Coach, American Coach, 2003-2007 Monaco, Travel Supreme, Entegra to your list of quality Class A motor homes.

The others (already mentioned) were Newmar, Tiffin.

Yes, the cheaper motorhomes.....well you get what you pay for!
Old 09-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #5

To put it in simple terms, it costs more to build quality so even though a higher price does not assure a quality RV, it isn't possible to get a quality RV at the lowest prices. I very much agree that there are sound reasons that Tiffin, Newmar, Winnebago/Itasca, and several others cost more. Of course, at the top of the quality ladder would be RVs from Newell and Marathon, but they also have prices that are far beyond what most of us could afford. Probably the best guide of what RVs are better in quality and reliability would be that from the RV Consumer Group. They are not totally without bias but are the closest of any of the organizations that rate RVs and they do no advertising for the industry and so must charge for the information that they supply.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #6

In my price range it would be Newmar, Tiffin, Winnebago/Itasca
Old 09-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #7

Thanks for your replies. I had thought it may create a stir and hopefully not.

I've been rv'ing for about 4 years now with that Jamboree. And from what I gathered with what you have mentioned, the fridge, a/c, generator, heater and all the fixtures seem to be pretty standard across the board. But the build and layout come from the manufacturer. I'm looking for something that won't leak, or feel like its going to fall apart with every bump I hit. But I guess you may pay for that.

Any models to stay away from?

Thank you!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #8

The quality is in the chassis, engine, and major motorhome components. Don't be enticed by 'fluff'!

JohnnyB
Old 09-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuebloPete View Post
But the build and layout come from the manufacturer. I'm looking for something that won't leak, or feel like its going to fall apart with every bump I hit. But I guess you may pay for that.

Any models to stay away from?
The appliances are pretty much standard, although you will find that higher end RVs use larger models of refrigerators, higher capacity air conditioners and furnaces and sometimes larger than the standard 6 gallon water heater. Far more important in the higher quality RVs is the kind of construction employed in things like the cabinets, drawers, and wall framework. If you examine the drawers in a high quality RV they are made of plywood while cheap ones tend to be of plastic. The drawer slides on a cheap RV will wear out very quickly if use a lot, while they last pretty much the life of the RV in quality RVs. The materials used in the cabinets are much different and so too is the materials used in the exterior and the framework. In addition, the better built RVs will have dual pane window glass while the cheap one have thin, single pane windows. Better quality also means more and better insulation, 50A power service in place of 30A, larger tanks and a host of other differences.

One of the hints of quality is the weight of the cheap compared to the heavier quality RV. Quality RVs not only cost more, they also weigh significantly more.

If you want to see fighting start, get someone to tell you by brand name what is a poor quality RV. People who own one will not like that. Always remember that no manufacturer is so bad that they have no happy customers and none are so good that they have no unhappy customers.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a Thor Hurricane for all of 6 months before we gave up on it and traded it in a Tiffin Allegro. The difference in quality is very noticeable, but the Allegro was more money. No need to go back to the factory - the few warranty items we had were handled easily by a local repair shop.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are switching to another MH the first thing to look for is the layout. Find the layout that suits you and works for your needs. There are only so many floor plans out there and you will notice the similarity between them from one manufacturer to another.

We like the all electric coach. The induction burners are nice to use, the convection oven took some getting used to but works fine.

There will be find points in the finishing that you will observe. However I have noticed a difference from one model coach in a dealers inventory to the same model coach sitting beside it.

After you find the layout you like the selection of dealer is a hotly debated topic. There are few dealers out there that everyone will agree is without some problems. No matter which one is recommended there will always be someone who did not have a good experience. I suspect that some of the bad experiences were caused by personality conflicts rather than a poor dealer so look around.

When dealing with a salesman it is buyer beware. Some salesmen will promise anything. Things that are important to you should be written down and noted on the sales agreement. You are the one who is responsible for due diligence.

We feel our dealer has treated us well. Gave us a good deal (IMO), said what they were going to do and did what they said they were going to do.

Our coach has come up with a few issues that we will take back to the dealer for repair. Thank goodness the issues are small and nothing like some of the horror stories that are related on the forum.

Once you have selected your floor plan/model and selected your dealer all that is left is to order, receive and enjoy your new coach.

Wave as you pass by or stop to talk. We will recognize you by the big smile.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #12

Thank you for all your responses. And it didn't even get messy....... I'm not sure I can afford to go to a higher end but maybe I can balance it out. Wish me luck! I'll post on my decision!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #13

Maybe I missed it, but it might help if we had an idea of your budget. I think there was an earlier thread about high end older units vs newer less expensive models which had a lot of good information.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
The quality is in the chassis, engine, and major motorhome components. Don't be enticed by 'fluff'!

JohnnyB
Sorry, but if it's put together wrong or poor quality components are used the chassis, engine and major components won't matter much. The superstructure, cabinets, plumbing etc will fall apart first.
Had a '98 Santara Type A MH. The cabinet frames were kind of a pressed paper. I was having to repair them every time out. After two Newmars (both DSDP's) for 15 years I've had to repair less on them then just the one Santara in less than two years.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, quality