Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
http://www.findtruckservice.com/Semi.../TN/Knoxville/

PLEASE.......PLEASE replace those tires....let that link populate, there are several mobile truck tire service firms in Knoxville...

Just my humble conservative opinion, but I wouldn't move that coach more than a few feet and put new tires on it.

Get a mobile service truck to come out and replace them.

One blown tire and half your coach could be destroyed.

This is a conservative approach, I realize, but don't take the chance. Concrete leaches tires and being 13 years old and not moved in 2 is scary as xxxt to me.

REPLACE THOSE TIRES before you take it anywhere.

Also go ahead and replace all the valve stems and put in dyna beads for balancing. If you (like my coach) don't have extenders, have them put long stems in so you don't have to take off the covers to access tire pressure...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
hooptie00

I bought a repo motor home from down in Florida, it had sat for awhile. We had looked at it and decided to buy, I flew down to Orlando to pick it up. Tires were +8 years old, I drove it back to TN. If the tires have been undercover when stored I wouldn't be afraid of them to drive to get new ones.

One thing I did with my rig, not having any maintenance records, was take it to the Cummins shop in Knoxville and had a complete service/check on it, they also checked the engine for fault codes. They gave me a clean bill of health and said the rig was in excellent mechanical condition (shop manager actually said "cherry").

At the time I didn't know it but I had an algae problem. When I changed the fuel filters as part of a PM I found the primary fuel filter almost completely choked off with algae, since then I use Biobor. I would recommend shocking the system with a heavy dose. When you change fuel filters you'll know whether you have a problem of not.

What tire shop are you going to in Knoxville and where are you driving from. There may be an alternate route that would keep you off the interstate.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #17

Since it's been indoors then at least you don't have a lot of UV damage to the tires. I'd suggest driving to the tire shop but don't take the interstates at normal freeway speeds. Plot out another route using secondary roads where you can keep you speeds under 35. That way a blowout would be much less likely to cause any major problems.

If the coach doesn't already have one add a TPMS before you go. Well worth the money especially on the trip to the tire shop on old tires. Make sure you get one with enough monitors to cover your toad if you're going to pull one. If you're going to carry a spare add one more sensor for that one.

Don't know how much time before you're going to move the coach but if you have enough time you could always take a sample of the fuel and oil and have it tested. It's not that expensive to have done but it takes a few days.

OMT, think about using beads to balance your tires the'll never be out of balance during their life time.

Many happy journeys.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #18

To all of the kind folks that have offered advice, Thank you.

I have made a call to the tire dealer to see if a mobile service change out is financially feasible, they are checking to see what they can do.

I will now grab a flashlight and do a thorough inspection of the underside of the coach. Paying close attention to the lines, systems and wiring. Not sure what mouse intrusion looks like, but will keep an eye out for those guys too.

The Biocide is on the way and I will shock treat the tank, as a few of you suggested, it can't hurt and may make a big difference. 3 spare primary fuel filters will be in the coach for the ride home.

Once the inspection is complete, I plan to change the oil and filter, check and top off fluid and give her a roll.

Being a new member to the forum, I was a touch apprehensive about asking for help, Never Again. What a great wealth of information and ideas that alone I didn't see.

I'll post photos and a trip log of the process when I get her home. That way everyone can laugh, or say I told you so.

Once again, Thank you.
hooptie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Seems like you have had plenty of sound advice so all I can say is let the adventure begin, have fun and be safe
Old 08-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
You'll be fine.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:20 PM   #21

Hi All,

We are home. The trip was pretty uneventful, a lot of concern about the operation and integrity of the MH systems proved to be unfounded. Once we added the biocide, swapped the batteries, and filters, the engine probably turned over 4 times before she started. I changed the fuel filter out and found no evidence of black slime. So, it appears that at least some of the posters were correct about old Diesel fuel and how long it can sit if the tank is filled and out of the sunlight or heat.
Everything checked out and we drove her the 42 miles to the shop in Knoxville and replaced all 6 tires.

Another post on the tires is forthcoming, you would think professional tire shops would be better at tire inflation or speaking with the owners.

The first part of the journey home we averaged 10.65 MPG. Most likely due to the fuel being 2 plus years old. We filled the tank in Montgomery, AL, 504 miles later and averaged 12.85. Still some old fuel in the tank, so we are hoping for a little better once we are on completely new fuel.

Everyone who offered advice brought much to the table. I spent an hour or so under the coach on a through inspection looking for leaks, loose connections and rodent infestations.
Two mouse nests later, I was glad for the advice. I can't imagine what would have happened if a mouse had run across the DW in the middle of the night.

The A/C gaskets leaked, the DuoTherm thermostat worked only when you beat the hell out of the buttons (PM me for the $8.99 fix, it's easy) and several of the switches and outlets have needed to be gently massaged. But like they say, if you own a MH, be handy or have a big check book balance. So far so good, we have managed to find a good balance in between.

Bottom line, we are happy with the new coach and are looking forward to the transition to make it ours rather than the previous owners. The DW has a ton of ideas and once again, I guess I'm along for the ride.

A few photos of the new girl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass View.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	106999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver Side Long.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	107000  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass Side Long.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	107001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Pass View.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	107002  

hooptie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:52 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations on a successful trip! That is some great mileage you got, too. There have been years when I barely used my MH due to circumstances, and the diesel was just fine even after sitting out in the AZ heat all summer. I always fill the tank prior to parking in storage, and that does go a long way toward keeping it fresh. I also use a fuel conditioner, just can't remember the name of it right now.

Now it's time to start enjoying your Allegro..!!

Tags
class a