Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Class A Roof Replacement

I have to get my roof replaced on my 35U Suncruiser,
Not sure what product to go back with!
Looking for Pro's and Con's on three different types.
o EPDM Rubber
o TPO Rubber
o Fiberglass

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
o EPDM Rubber
o TPO Rubber
o Fiberglass
I think there may be a superior product to those choices. Suggest you at least look at: www.rvroof.com which is the home site of "rv flex armor". I believe the original location is in FL, but there are now authorized installers in several locations. One is Dependable RV service in Madison, MS where I live. I know they do good work.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
o EPDM Rubber
o TPO Rubber
o Fiberglass
Well Sir,
You don't say "WHY" you need to replace it or, what kind you already have. But, super long story real short, if it were me and, we really, really liked the motorhome, and the roof needed COMPLETE replacement, I wouldn't hesitate for one second to get the RHINO LINED version.

While I was having some body work done on ours, the company doing the work also installed Rhino Lining roofs on RVs. Outside the booth where it is done, were several that had already been done and, there was waiting list to get it done. It's approximately 3/16" - 1/4" inch thick when complete, is twice as quiet as any other version of a roof and, is basically ONE PIECE for the full length and side to side. And that includes going over the radius's of all four sides/ends.

They mainly do it in silver because it's proven to the best at sun reflectiveness. But, colors are an option. We have a fiberglass one now but, if it EVER needed replacing, I'd head right for that place.
Scott

San Diego RV Center - Service, Parts, Paint, Body, Warranty, Consignment
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

First question is Why? It is fairly rare to need a total replacement of the roof membrane, and usually only when the substrate has been damaged by unrepaired water leaks.

What kind of roof do you now have? Many Winnebago/Itasca coaches have fiberglass already. If so, that's what I would replace with, but there is almost never a need to actually replace the fiberglass skin unless is was physically damaged by something.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #5

I'm with Fire Up. I've seen two motorhomes with the Rhino, and they looked great besides being virtually indestructible, and never having to caulk again. One of the coach's had his front done in a matching color. He said it really made getting bugs off a snap.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I think there may be a superior product to those choices. Suggest you at least look at: www.rvroof.com which is the home site of "rv flex armor". I believe the original location is in FL, but there are now authorized installers in several locations. One is Dependable RV service in Madison, MS where I live. I know they do good work.
I'm glad to read your report on Dependable RV service. I was there yesterday visiting with Gary and made an appointment for this next week to have my roof done. I am absolutely fed up with rubber roofs. My 5'er's roof is deteriorating badly after just over 5 years in service and I'm tired of continually watching the caulking also.

By the end of next week my roof worries should be over.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #7

New RV Flex Armor Install Done

I picked up my 5'er two days ago after having RV Flex Armor installed in Madison, MS. Dependable RV was excellent.

So far I couldn't be happier and no more worries about leaks and no more caulking to watch/replace. I took this opportunity to replace the skylight with new and to replace the original crank up TV antenna which I never used with a newer low profile Winegard. I know it might not work as well in picking up broadcast signals, but I really don't care since use DirecTV 100% of the time.

The reason for the total replacement was a leak through the membrane in a couple of places and deterioration under the a/c condensation drips. Fortunately I caught it before more than minor damage was done and no water intrusion inside. I have zero faith in rubber roofs for other than occasional use and only then when the RV is kept inside when not being used. I full time so that isn't an option for me and it was no more expensive than a replacement rubber roof.

What about the roof membrane manufacturer's 12 year warranty you ask? How about a total payment of $227.00 if you use their new and improved EPDM material since they no longer make the one I had? No thank you.

Off of soap box and enjoying sitting here in the rain with no worries about leaks and the benefit of it now being much quieter inside due to the increased thickness.

I am now a "Happy Camper".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0508.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	116123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0515.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	116124  

Old 01-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks great!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #9

Ed can you tell us the total cost?
Old 01-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Yes, What was the cost and the length of your RV
Thanks
Mel
Old 01-11-2016, 03:47 AM   #11

They charge $170.00/linear foot and my 5'er is 35'. Actually I was charged $160.00 but they just went up.

Each of RV Flex Armor may charge different amounts so I was told. I don't know the charge/foot for the other locations. Madison, MS was far closer for me to my home base.

Tags
ace, class a, replace, replacement, roof