Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Is a 12 ton jack stand set enough for the rear of a 42,000 coach, or do we really need the 22 ton set?
The problem I have with the 22 ton set is the lift range is too low.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2018, 02:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Is a 12 ton jack stand set enough for the rear of a 42,000 coach, or do we really need the 22 ton set?
12 tons is 24,000 pounds. Do you think the rear of the MH weighs less then half of its total weight ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Some manufacturers actually make larger capacity jack stands with wheels to make them easier to move around. Blackhawk for example makes a 30 ton set with wheels.

https://www.etoolpros.com/automotive...BHK-BP330.html
Interesting. I have a Blackhawk hydraulic 8T bottle jack that I bought in Okinawa in about 1968. I've been using it ever since. A great jack and it looks like the Blackhawk stands are equally well made. I bought my current 20T jack stands at NAPA because they specified their loading as an individual load on each stand. I like Harbor Freight stuff, but wasn't going to trust my butt under a Bus on their stands.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #46

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
12 tons is 24,000 pounds. Do you think the rear of the MH weighs less then half of its total weight ?
At 42K GVW, 24k actually 3K more than half.
Might be close in actual rig weight and just guessing with rear gross being around 26K and the front at 16K. At any rate, it's doubtful they would collapse and like most everything, there's a fudge factor there. If there wasn't, there would pieces of everything imaginable out on our nation's highways.
I wouldn't be afraid of them and especially with having hyd. leveling jacks. In fact, I've never heard of a case where hyd jacks have suddenly retracted on their own. Not saying it hasn't happened, however.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #47

When the overloaded jack stand bends and kicks out, smacking into the hydraulic levelers hose fitting, down it comes.

Just kidding, that can never happen.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #48

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
When the overloaded jack stand bends and kicks out, smacking into the hydraulic levelers hose fitting, down it comes.

Just kidding, that can never happen.
You're right, it can't, cuz at this point, the hyd. levelers have the weight, not the jacks.
Anyway and for whatever it's all worth, safety first and for what ever it takes for making one comfortable.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #49

RV ranp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Here is the ultimate jack stand and can be made as beefy as needed. Mine are 2x8's

If you want to carry them, that's a different story.
FYI
Just saw your post.
I like your ramps.
I'm a old time shade tree mechanic!
I made a quick test pair, (pictured, similar to what you came up with) to see if it was safe enough for me to crawl under even if somehow the dules blew out, while I was underneath. I felt there was sufficient clearance to continue and make a longer length and adding a back stop to each ramp to stop rolling off the back end. I don't have a current picture of new ramps.
I can't envision a need for me to carry jack stands on my trips.
Any underneath work while traveling, I leave to road side assistance. Underneath work is done at my yard or dealership.

PS : as you can see in photo, the yard is stoned.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3582.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	190243  
Nadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:21 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
When you weigh your coach, what's your rear axle weight?
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:18 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
You're right, it can't, cuz at this point, the hyd. levelers have the weight, not the jacks.
Then you don't need the stands at all !!
Old 01-28-2018, 06:20 AM   #52

I'm so glad I don't have to worry about this with our coach. Just yesterday I was under the chassis for about 5 hrs. doing all kinds of cool stuff rolling around on my creeper like on a mini race track. Just sitting on the tires, there's plenty of room under there to do whatever is needed like...engine & generator oil changes, grease jobs, other misc. maintenance items, troubleshooting, tire cleaning, installing mod's, sometimes just getting on my creeper and getting under there to give everything a good looking over, etc. And yes I carry my creeper with me in my storage bay with my tools & parts...about 20lbs.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:39 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I'm so glad I don't have to worry about this with our coach. Just yesterday I was under the chassis for about 5 hrs. doing all kinds of cool stuff rolling around on my creeper like on a mini race track. Just sitting on the tires, there's plenty of room under there to do whatever is needed like...engine & generator oil changes, grease jobs, other misc. maintenance items, troubleshooting, tire cleaning, installing mod's, sometimes just getting on my creeper and getting under there to give everything a good looking over, etc. And yes I carry my creeper with me in my storage bay with my tools & parts...about 20lbs.
Some of us may be .... uh .... thicker than others
Old 01-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #54

Forest River Owners Club
OK just a couple of follow on question. I have air leveling and a tag.
If the air dumps the chassis (axles etc)doesn't move, just the whole "house" comes down.

1. Where would a safe place to put the jacks to support the weight of the house just in case that won't do any damage? I've found with the air dumped I can't really fit underneath (and yes I'm a bit err thicker ). If aired level at home I can get under the front, but not the rear and I'm not fussy going under with no supports.

2. Also if I built a ramp, I would assume I would have to have one long enough to support both the rear axle and the tag? Or just maybe raise the tag and let it hang?

thanks

chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
Built my own for less that 100 bucks. 4" X 4" X 1/2" bottom tube, 3" X 3" X 1/2" inner tube 1 inch stainless pins. I would rate them at well over 22 tons and have used them multiple times with NO issues.
Those are really nicely done. You could weld for me anytime. Is there any reason you chose stainless for the pins ? I was thinking stainless might have less shear strength than high carbon steel, but maybe it's so high it doesn't matter.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Chris,

There should be some brackets on each frame rail just behind the tag axle where a cross member goes across to the other side under the engine/trans. I place jack stands under these brackets.

If you build ramps it's up to you if you want to make them long enough for the tag axle also. You could just lift the tag and pull the rear drive axle forward onto the ramps. The problem with really long wood ramps is they get very heavy and are difficult to move around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
OK just a couple of follow on question. I have air leveling and a tag.
1. Where would a safe place to put the jacks to support the weight of the house just in case that won't do any damage?
2. Also if I built a ramp, I would assume I would have to have one long enough to support both the rear axle and the tag? Or just maybe raise the tag and let it hang?

thanks

chris
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, safety