RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2019, 01:09 AM   #1

Class A spare tire???

To all my fellow Class A owners....I was wondering if any of you still carry the spare tire and wheel combo ours came with the Rexhall...(new tire added periodically).

I am looking at the space usage and weight issue....I also don’t even know if any Class A owners even bother caring a spare at all.....

Thanks again Mike��

Rexhall Aerbus 3550 BSL. 19.5 in wheels

MDBalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2019, 01:38 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I carried one in the belly only because up until rd recently I was running on 10yo rubber. Will remove it when I get back to home base. So depends on your tire conditions.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:59 AM   #3
Decrepit Forum Advocate

During our nearly 15 years of full-timing, we never carried a spare in any of the motorhomes we owned. We were lucky, I suppose, as we never needed it as the flats and blowouts we did have, we were able to get to a tire shop without assistance. Yeah, that's really lucky ...no guessing.

If I were to do it again, however, I may consider carrying an un-mounted spare.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #4

I carry a mounted spare with me and have no problems changing tires. My tire is mounted and covered on the rear of the coach. The spare is a used tire that is only a couple of yrs old and holds air just fine. My tire shop charged me $25 for the tire including mounting so I have no problems replacing it every 5-7 yrs.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
My tires are 8R/19.5, seldom stocked at dealer shop, and would need to be ordered from a warehouse so I do carry spare. It is mounted on winch cradle under the motorhome.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #6

I was amazed when we got our coach that there wasn't one, and when I asked around no one carried one.

Now, after 27,000 miles I don't want to carry one. I'm pulling a trailer so have no room back there, and certainly have no room in the basement.

I have had wheels off and weighed them..... 155 pounds. That's a lot.

Coach net will send me a nice man to fix it if I have a flat.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a spare rim and mounted one of the tires I took off when they were changed as we preparing for out trip to Alaska. I considered it cheap insurance, must have worked, didn't have a flat.

Still carry it, old habits are hard to break.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We carry a mounted 22.5" spare in an outside compartment...sits 1/3 on a pass thru shelf and 2/3 in space....supported with 1/2 inch angle iron running fore and aft and with a 2 x 4 vertical wood support. Does not move. Good insurance. I can't fix a flat and CoachNet/AAA won't have to search for a tire on weekends or holidays.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBalin View Post
To all my fellow Class A owners....I was wondering if any of you still carry the spare tire and wheel combo ours came with the Rexhall...(new tire added periodically).

I am looking at the space usage and weight issue....I also don’t even know if any Class A owners even bother caring a spare at all.....

Thanks again Mike��

Rexhall Aerbus 3550 BSL. 19.5 in wheels

Name:   untitled.png
Views: 105
Size:  215.7 KB
I have my spare tire in my in my bay area right now, but I'm going to build me a tire carrier, like in the picture, as soon as it warms up. I had a blow out on the interstate, 99 degrees (murphy's law) generator would start, dash air conditioner, went out. 6 hours before anyone could get there. Don't always count on your road assistant's to be there quick, there always a busy day for them too, and don't forget Murphy's law. I just bought the motorhome, and was heading home, 10 hour drive from home, are there would have been a spare.
LickingTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #10

We're hopefully heading to Alaska later this year and decided a spare would be prudient. Picked up one of these in Quartzsite. They installed it (very easy) and we pulled our fullsize SUV with no problem. It has a built-in 2" drop. Less than the 4" we were using but seems to be OK as far as inclination of the towbar.

https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-19.../dp/B00SQ49S82

Now I need to get a 22.5 steel rim and spare tire!
Old 03-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #11

Have mounted spare only used once in 5 years
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I carried a unmounted spare on the roof of my Dynasty for 14 years and never needed...unlike the previous that I need several times. On my “new” rig I did the same for 6 months until I decided to add 900W of solar putting the tire in the way so off it went. Hope I’ll never need it. Guess I can get rid off the jack, breaker bar, and tire tools too.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #13

I carry one on a hitch mount spare tire carrier (19.5 inch wheel), needed it once after hitting a bad pot hole in a 1 lane construction zone on I-80 in Nebraska and causing a belt separation.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I carried a unmounted spare on the roof of my Dynasty for 14 years and never needed...unlike the previous that I need several times. On my “new” rig I did the same for 6 months until I decided to add 900W of solar putting the tire in the way so off it went. Hope I’ll never need it. Guess I can get rid off the jack, breaker bar, and tire tools too.
Ivy, how did you secure your spare on the roof?

Irishguy

irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a