Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #1

Class A storage - what are your wants/needs?

We are in the planning stages of securing land and designing a warehouse for a RV and boat storage facility - both indoor and outdoor. I wanted to hear from folks (mainly class A owners, but anyone is welcome to chime in) as to what is important to them when it comes to storage of their unit. I am looking at things like price, security, ability to access at any time, indoor (climate controlled) vs outdoor, ability to wash/dump, concierge services (fuel, delivery, detailing, interior cleaning, mobile tech services), anything else you have or wish you had.

Thanks to everyone for the input
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 05:20 AM   #2

Be sure to offset the minimum 12'x14' door enough to be able to open the slides and awnings when parked inside. Minimum 50' deep.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:38 AM   #3

Just built a 40 x 50 metal garage for class A. I did 12 x 14 doors but wish I did 14 x 14, 12 wide is a little tight. Make sure your truss height is at least 16 high.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180623_081555.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	221711
mark7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:26 AM   #4

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear in the description. This is a 50k square foot warehouse for indoor storage where we will have customers. Trying to get a sense of what is important to the potential customer..
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:27 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We always look for and store our RV indoors when needed.
Here is what we look for:
Security and 24 hour access
Not necessarily climate controlled but ventilated so that temps are between 40F and 75 or so.
Ability to trickle charge batteries
Wash and wax service, compressor for tire fill
Dump station for when arriving
Fresh water to fill when leaving
Control of vermin (mice, rats and such)
We certainly need more indoor storage places.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I look for a single stall with its own 12x14 door so I have easy access at all times. If you are talking large warehouse, then that's not possible. I would prefer wider than my present 14' width for basement access. Rodent control is a big plus. Heat is not practical here in northern MN, but may be in VA. Power for trickle charging would be nice, but I would not may too much extra for it. I am buying in to a storage condo next spring with a 16'x54' unit. Payments will be slightly higher than I'm paying for rent now, and in 12 years, it's mine! Just need $10000 down. Condo fees have yet to be determined, but would just be for snow plowing and maybe grass.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #7

Agree about at least 14 foot wide door. We parked in a large warehouse type building several years ago and it had posts inside that made backing in and moving around very difficult. No posts would be a big improvement. Also, dependable electric would be big for us. And not one 15 or even 20 amp circuit that a bunch of motorhomes all share.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:55 AM   #8

Fire suppression. Premier RV in Junction OR had a fire in there indoor storage facility last November and several coaches were lost and many were damaged. Normal fire suppression may not be enough. You might want to contact them to see what they did for fire suppression in the building and any polices they have for storing RV in doors.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/fire...ty-366701.html
Old 10-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #9

I think at least 30amp electric service, and definitely fire suppression system.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
We are in the planning stages of securing land and designing a warehouse for a RV and boat storage facility -

both indoor and outdoor.

I wanted to hear from folks (mainly class A owners, but anyone is welcome to chime in)

as to what is important to them when it comes to storage of their unit.

I am looking at things like price,

security, ability to

access at any time,

indoor (climate controlled) vs outdoor,

ability to wash/dump,

concierge services (fuel, delivery, detailing, interior cleaning, mobile tech services),

anything else you have or wish you had.

Thanks to everyone for the input
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear in the description.

This is a 50k square foot warehouse for indoor storage where we will have customers.

Trying to get a sense of what is important to the potential customer..
Price$$$ is likely most critical.

Location, needs to be close to the user, if I have to commute it loses a lot in just getting there.

Access - 24/7/365

Size of space.

Number of Dump Stations?

Club House?

Having used a few of these, in the past, just a couple of notes on the Building.

Think about possibly a few different options - some might be open air with just a roof, or just a secure fenced space.

The single large Building might be good for some but presents security/access/parking issues for others.

Individual Garages/storage spaces with walls that are like an RV condo, Man cave/Garage should be investigated. So depending on the Size of the Main Building there could be a section with just a Roof - a section with just Condos and a section that is large and set up a large storage building, keep in mind that most RV drivers are not Commercial Drivers and their ability to negotiate tight spaces often leaves a lot to be desired. - So you need to have the entry-exit so it just EASY and well thought out.

Your wash Bay should be set up so it can be accessed by the Public - set up on the perimeter - either by membership or prepaid appointments. This is a Cost vs Use issue here, without enough use the cost is very high to build and support.

In summary you are Building an RV Marina that is Covered? Couple of other things you will need to address - people will want/need to be able to spend the night, before departure or upon arrival? - might just need to address this with a few CampSites on the property. Zoning is going to be a BIG ISSUE.

Will this be in Northern Virginia? (seeing your location)

I could go on and on................if you would like to Talk just send me a PM and I'd be happy to discuss with you some insight as I've Owned Marinas and Warehouses in my past life.

Sounds like a BIG Project, and I wish you Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #11

Class A storage - what are your wants/needs?

When looking at a storage location, my first consideration is the likelihood of damage by other drivers. Simple pull-through is optimal. I have seen several facilities that looked like an accident waiting to happen. As someone mentioned earlier, for the most part, these are casual, untrained RV drivers, not experienced truckers. Keep it simple.

A powerwash facility and electrical (even 20A) to keep batteries topped up would be desirable.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Price$$$ is likely most critical.

Location, needs to be close to the user, if I have to commute it loses a lot in just getting there.

Access - 24/7/365

Size of space.

Number of Dump Stations?

Club House?

Having used a few of these, in the past, just a couple of notes on the Building.

Think about possibly a few different options - some might be open air with just a roof, or just a secure fenced space.

The single large Building might be good for some but presents security/access/parking issues for others.

Individual Garages/storage spaces with walls that are like an RV condo, Man cave/Garage should be investigated. So depending on the Size of the Main Building there could be a section with just a Roof - a section with just Condos and a section that is large and set up a large storage building, keep in mind that most RV drivers are not Commercial Drivers and their ability to negotiate tight spaces often leaves a lot to be desired. - So you need to have the entry-exit so it just EASY and well thought out.

Your wash Bay should be set up so it can be accessed by the Public - set up on the perimeter - either by membership or prepaid appointments. This is a Cost vs Use issue here, without enough use the cost is very high to build and support.

In summary you are Building an RV Marina that is Covered? Couple of other things you will need to address - people will want/need to be able to spend the night, before departure or upon arrival? - might just need to address this with a few CampSites on the property. Zoning is going to be a BIG ISSUE.

Will this be in Northern Virginia? (seeing your location)

I could go on and on................if you would like to Talk just send me a PM and I'd be happy to discuss with you some insight as I've Owned Marinas and Warehouses in my past life.

Sounds like a BIG Project, and I wish you Luck,
One more thing just jumped out at me - Possible to have an RV Mechanic that worked out of the property somewhere or a Mobile Mechanic that had access?

As it sounds as if you are working with a Commercial piece of Property so all this might be Possible.

Just a Thought,

Location in Denver area - http://imperialstorageuown.com/
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #13

Power.
Potable water.
Sewer.
Floor drain.
Central trench/pit with stairs for undercarriage maintenance.
HVAC.
Droplights.
Compressed air.
Basic mechanic's tools (sockets, torque wrench, hand/air tools)
Basic woodworking tools (chop saw, nail gun, pin nailer).
Complimentary jack stands/wheel chocks.
Wheeled tool bench/tables.
Mechanic's creeper.
Oil disposal tanks.
Owner lockers for maintenance clothing. (Disposable jump suits/coveralls.)
Shower facilities.
Owner storage cubes (spare filters/oil, etc. etc.).
Video Surveillance via Internet.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #14

A few random thoughts:

Ability to drop off / pickup 24 x 7

Repair & renovation services

When dropping off be able drop with full tanks in need of dumping

When picking up have water & fuel topped off.

Maybe a few groceries added to fridge (Amazon Fresh delivery? )

Package pickup i.e. order from Amazon & have waiting in coach on arrival

Of course some / all services at extra cost?
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, storage