Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Class A Suggestions Please

First post - fantastic forum- lots of great information....

I will admit that I did a search and found some answers but why not start a new thread

We are looking for a quality DP to use as a winter weekend home in the Florida Keys and then summers on the road.....

I have no experience with RV's but drove large semi trucks in the Navy many moon ago.... and currently a boat owner - so I understand that things break.. I also know basic generators, black/grey water, electrical etc and can fix some "basic" items ...

Would love to say I have a "new" Prevost/newell budget - but thats not in the cards..... Would like to keep it in the 300k range and let the previous owner take the initial depreciation hit ....

Early in the process but 3 year old - Newmar, Tiffin, American Coach appear to be some good choices ..

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated........

Thanks

NNN

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A couple of questions in order to help you.

How many people/pets?
How long/far will the summer trips be?
Are you a minimalist or want all of the same features of a Stick/Brick home? E.g. King bed, 2 toilets, bathtub.

There are some coaches better for "full-timing". However, most coaches will last longer if they all of their systems exercised (i.e. engine and transmission).

Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
A couple of questions in order to help you.

How many people/pets?
How long/far will the summer trips be?
Are you a minimalist or want all of the same features of a Stick/Brick home? E.g. King bed, 2 toilets, bathtub.

There are some coaches better for "full-timing". However, most coaches will last longer if they all of their systems exercised (i.e. engine and transmission).
Thanks for help....

Wont be full timing - the location in the florida keys will be just a night or two a week - I keep my boat down there now and spending $$ on hotels.... We will sell the house in a year and maintain a small condo somewhere in Fort Laud...

If I had to guess - Summers would be in Maine or West of Denver in cooler climates ... So up to 10k miles per year when heading west and 3k if staying on east coast - average 7,000 miles give or take

2 people ,,, occasional guests - bedding for additional 2 or 3 (I have 3 kids) ,,, King bed for us would be great - no tub,,, I am fine with a single head, 1 dog (boxer) - as for toys - all I need is SAT TV, cool BBQ and a nice sofa to take a few naps .. would like to tow a jeep as well...

High quality DP is very important to me.... Newmar Essex ?

Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #4

I have a 2000 Winnebago and it has not given me any trouble at all. I have been very pleased. If the new ones are as good as the old you will be pleased. Make sure you get a DP. It will serve you well.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi triplenet,
With the budget mentioned in the OP, you can buy new or pre owned. Find the floor plan that meets your needs. Buy the coach that the floor plan happens to be in. This sounds simple but it is not. There are many floor plans to choose from. Once you find the floor plan there are only two additional considerations. Both have to do with weight. Will the coach carry all your stuff and you? Will the coach tow what you need to tow?

Consider going to:
Newmar Ventana Motorhome | Newmar
Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome | Newmar

Both these coaches are in your price range. Newmar will customize a coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
He with the most toys etc. My only suggestion is make sure the builders are still in business. Some great orphan coaches out there but when they break, and they will where do you go for parts ?

Don G.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #7

Be sure you have a place to park for a few days near boat,keys are very strict on parking.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
Be sure you have a place to park for a few days near boat,keys are very strict on parking.
I was thinking of renting an annual parking spot in one of the RV parks somewhere between say Tavernier and Long Key .... and just keeping the unit there when not driving it up north in the summer ...

Regarding the other post - is there a calculation regarding the weight of my gear ? I can see the the towing capacity - but not sure how much gear I would be carrying ?

I have a 2008 Land Cruiser (5,900#) which I would probably tow for now - unless too heavy then trade it for something lighter ...

Sorry for the novice questions .... I will get better educated with time
Old 07-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #9

Check out www.motorhomesoftexas
www.foretraveloftexas
st687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi triplenet,
Nope, you need to determine the weight of your stuff. To determine the weight available to you look in the specifications section of the brochure. There should be something like Net Carrying Capacity (NCC) or something similar. Make sure you understand what is included in this number. Different manufacturers have different definitions. An example is the Newmar Dutch Star NCC varies from 7K to 11K pounds depending on model.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
...Regarding the other post - is there a calculation regarding the weight of my gear ? I can see the the towing capacity - but not sure how much gear I would be carrying ?....
First, good luck with it all, and welcome. With the three names you mentioned, you won't go wrong. Personally, I would recommend buying late-model used, perhaps 2-3 years old. Let someone else eat the depreciation and work through the inevitable punch list. A three year old coach from any of those manufacturers will be like new mechanically. Quality lasts.

As to the weight of your gear: if it seems to you you're really loading it up, it would be prudent to assume you'll be running at gross weight. Until you have the opportunity to get your new acquisition weighed properly [four-corner], run with that assumption and fill the tires for max weight according to the tire maker's chart. Having a little too much air will hurt nothing, and is far, far preferable to having too little air, which is dangerous.

Again, good luck!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't forget Winnebago's Journey, Tour & Itasca Meridian, Itasca Ellipse.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #13

Hi, from California, on my way to Mesa Az. Do any of you use tire pressure monitors on your rig? I have a 2013 rig, with basically new tires, but do see people on the side of the road with tire troubles and don't want to be un-safe. any experience i should hear about?
Chuck severt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #14

Great info guys... Will fly up to Hershey in Sept and check em all out...

Its funny, as a boater I understand the RV community ... The main difference so far - is realizing how "inexpensive" Rving is to boating ..

I just helped my friend move his boat from Miami to Maine for the summer .... He burns around 40 gallons an hour which equates to .25 gallons per mile ... So on a 1700 mile run we burned 30k worth of fuel... Thats ONE way .... he will burn more against the gulf stream heading home ... and when we pulled into port - it was around $500 a day to dock ...

So ------- costing $.50 cents a mile is really refreshing .....