Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #1

Class A Surge Protectors

How many of you use them for the 50A protection? Would you recommend this be carried at all times and hooked up when staying at a site? They can get pretty sophisticated and are not inexpensive by any means.

What do you think.....necessary or not? Any recommendations of which one to purchase, etc?

Thanks

2013 FLEETWOOD EXCURSION 33A

Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion 33 View Post
How many of you use them for the 50A protection? Would you recommend this be carried at all times and hooked up when staying at a site? They can get pretty sophisticated and are not inexpensive by any means.

What do you think.....necessary or not? Any recommendations of which one to purchase, etc?

Thanks
This subject has been talked about In Depth many times. Go to the Class A Forum and type in surge protector in the search box. A couple days of reading at least.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
This subject has been talked about In Depth many times. Go to the Class A Forum and type in surge protector in the search box. A couple days of reading at least.
lol....OK will do

Old 05-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #4

Quote:
lol....OK will do
Welcome to iRV2,,,,
Old 05-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Welcome to iRV2,,,,
Thank you....After reading some of the info I am going to get a Progressive surge protector. I was at CW today and saw some but did not purchase. I will order on line somewhere and will get one with all the bells and whistles. I do wonder about theft of the portable device though. That is my only concern. If I could lock it up in the pole I will.

Actually....looking at the Progressive ones I want a more sophisticated unit....

Any recommendations?

Old 05-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Progressive EMS (not the one that is just surge protection) is the way to go. You can leave it connected inside the power bay and use an extension cable to reach to the pedestal.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Thank you....After reading some of the info I am going to get a Progressive surge protector. I was at CW today and saw some but did not purchase. I will order on line somewhere and will get one with all the bells and whistles. I do wonder about theft of the portable device though. That is my only concern. If I could lock it up in the pole I will.

Actually....looking at the Progressive ones I want a more sophisticated unit....

Any recommendations?
Good choice. If I were doing it again, I would install the digital readout in the electrical bay so you can see it when you plug into the pedestal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	95730  
Old 05-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #8

Quote:

Any recommendations?
I'm just a few steps ahead of you in my search. What I think I've learned is:
a. The CW units are a one-year warranty and then...nothing. The PI units are warranted for life.....to the original purchaser. That's a big deal.

b. The EMS protect against brown-out and over-voltage conditions while the lesser models don't.

c. $350 vs $100

d. PT portable units can be installed inside your electric bay if you have room to wiggle, and can be easily transferred if you change rides.

Our coach has tons of space inside the electric bay, so a PT makes sense. We don't FT, so when we're out, we're close to the MH and we pay attention.

I just found a SSP50 for cheap and elected to buy it instead of the PT EMS for 6x the price. To handle voltage spikes, I have a KilaWatt that will tell me the voltage at all times. $15 at your local big box store.

If our coach suffers a lightning strike, we call State Farm and let them handle it.

I hope it works for us...and definitely better than having nothing. Now that I know what I know, it's as valuable as a TPMS.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I'm just a few steps ahead of you in my search. What I think I've learned is:
a. The CW units are a one-year warranty and then...nothing. The PI units are warranted for life.....to the original purchaser. That's a big deal.

b. The EMS protect against brown-out and over-voltage conditions while the lesser models don't.

c. $350 vs $100

d. PT portable units can be installed inside your electric bay if you have room to wiggle, and can be easily transferred if you change rides.

Our coach has tons of space inside the electric bay, so a PT makes sense. We don't FT, so when we're out, we're close to the MH and we pay attention.

I just found a SSP50 for cheap and elected to buy it instead of the PT EMS for 6x the price. To handle voltage spikes, I have a KilaWatt that will tell me the voltage at all times. $15 at your local big box store.

If our coach suffers a lightning strike, we call State Farm and let them handle it.

I hope it works for us...and definitely better than having nothing. Now that I know what I know, it's as valuable as a TPMS.
My independent RV guy got back to me a few minutes ago....I think I better keep him around

He is suggesting a Surge Guard 50A RV Voltage Regultor with a monitor display. Wants me to search to get it for the best price. It is $614.97 at CW but he thinks the price can be better than that. The monitor is $99.95 again at CW but same situation.

We also decided to add solar panels for the house batteries and starting batteries. Don't have the cost or products on that yet but since I use the RV in the SW and NW it will be a good addition.

Sounds like you found a good solution that will work for ya.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:31 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
The Progressive EMS (not the one that is just surge protection) is the way to go. You can leave it connected inside the power bay and use an extension cable to reach to the pedestal.
This is exactly what I do and it works great. The device is safe from theft and weather, plus you get the added protection for your electronics. Definitely worth the money!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:34 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
I do wonder about theft of the portable device though. That is my only concern. If I could lock it up in the pole I will.
I have used a portable unit for over 12 years, it hasn't walked away yet.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:55 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We have the Progressive 50 EMS in the box waiting for our next trip.
Just nice insurance.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Surge Guard 50A hard wired, it's great to have and works when I plug into 30A and even when I plug into a 110V outlet. It's alway interesting when I plug in it takes about two minutes before it allows power to the coach as it does its testing.
pmgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I have a KilaWatt that will tell me the voltage at all times. $15 at your local big box store.
The problem with that is that it's passive. And it only tells you the voltage on one hot line, a 50 amp service has two hot lines.

The problem with being passive is that it only tells you the voltage when you are looking at it. Voltage problems can happen any time, not just when you are plugging in. Also, the PI EMS looks for more than just voltage, it also looks for some common (and potentially dangerous) wiring problems.

I've had my PI EMS click off the power several times. In all cases, I wasn't in a position to be monitoring a voltage meter. The most worrisome case was when the power clicked off shortly after bed: the voltage was over 135 volts and climbing! Being in bed, I would've never been looking at the voltage meter, and wouldn't have noticed the potentially damaging voltage that eventually went over 140 volts.

It's expensive, but it's good protection, and much more reliable than manual tools.

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a