Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
No sway on mine. I have a tag axel.

Bob and Janice Ford
1998 Fleetwood Pace arrow 35'
Bama Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
No sway on mine I have a tag axel.

Bob and Janice Ford
1998 Fleetwood Pace arrow 35'
Bama Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #17
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the insights! I'm thinking of starting small - 32' or less as a first MH. Great advice all around.
2016 Tiffin Allegro 31SA; Ford V-10; '14 Honda CR-V toad
"No Particular Place To Go..."
jerztime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:38 AM   #18
if you plan on towing your toad could also cause more excessive tail wag.

We tow a big boxy jeep that catches every cross breeze and even when we are driving it tends to move about.

a 500$ rear trac bar makes a ton of difference in a good way. As others have said, go with something that has decent wheel base ratio. Then there are a few cheap mods that can be done after that.
Brandonrv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #19
We had a 35 foot Georgie Boy Landau that wanted to wander. We found the front was to light. After adding more weight up front the wandering went away.
2008 Thor, Four Winds Mandalay 40G. Cummins 400 isl. Freightliner chassis
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #20
There must be something to the DP vs front engine aspect of this. We have a 41ft DP and it does NOT sway a bit. If it did it would be G O N E! I couldn't imagine wrestling that much weight down the highway.........
2013 Discovery 40G, 2012 JK Rubicon TOAD1, 2014 Grand Cherokee TOAD2. 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn. American Steel = American PROFITS!
dubdub07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #21
Rich n Linda - Our Winnebago Suncruiser 32V brochure lists Length as 32'11" (or 395") and Wheelbase as 200". This would give us a 50.6%. However, our actual measurements are 391" and 204" respectively. This gives us 52.2%. Wow! We just went from nearly dangerous to almost stable. My point is it might be a good idea to get as accurate as possible actual measurements before doing the calculations. We haven't noticed any fishtailing, just front end issues. Oh well, that's what we have to live with. Fortunately we don't load it to full capacity; I suppose that helps.

We've had some issues with sloppy steering and swaying. Most of the swaying was just corrected by replacing the bushings and one missing bracket on the front 1-5/8" stabilizer bar (it was not even connected to the frame on passenger side and just "floating" up and down and all around). I'm also looking into the bell crank because there seems to be a lot of free travel in the steering wheel, but that's not a sway issue.
Butch and Peggy
N.Central TX; 2000 Itasca Suncruiser 32V; Workhorse P-32 Chassis; 7.4L Vortec V-8 w/Banks Pwr Sys; Steer Safe; Springs/Airbags front; Timbren Suspension kit on rear; Onan 5K
peggwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Per the spec sheet, my 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE has a wheelbase of 158" and an overall length of 323". That is a ratio of 48.9%.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:04 AM   #23
Another thing to consider, that formula may have some validity, however a far more important factor to stability is weight distribution. If the coach is design is such that the center of mass is properly located and the steering geometry is correct, it will be stable.
2015 A.C.E. 27.1
American Car Dolly
2001 Ram 1500 / 2012 Kia Soul....Go Hamsters!
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:12 AM   #24
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we got new tires, they only had 70 pounds of pressure. I increased it to 110 in the rear and 90 in the front and they swaying problem went away. Now all I need to do is to tighten the steering box a little to cut down the free play in the steering wheel.
Berniece & Russell with LilBit a Netherland Dwarf rabbit
1987 Southwind, 1995 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4 toad
Life in the fast lane? No thanks! We will stop and smell the flowers at every chance.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:24 AM   #25
Winnebago Owners Club
We went from a 26 ft class c to a 28 ft class a. There was more "sway with the a", but it wasn't difficult to adjust to when driving. After a few miles you learn to drive it a bit different i.e. making all movements somewhat slower.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #26
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
The larger Class As also feel more stable with the big motor at the very back and a large generator at the very front. This high polar moment of inertia with a long wheelbase helps to counteract any forces that would induce a rapid sway movement.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #27

Originally Posted by jerztime View Post
I'm thinking of starting small - 32' or less as a first MH.

Ever heard the saying ".....buy your 3rd motorhome 1st ...." ?

Refers to people buying the small motorhome 1st, finding out it's too small, then trading up to a larger coach.....finding out it's too small.......then finally getting a coach that makes them happy. All that trading, costs $$$$$$ vs buying the right one to start with.

If you have the budget.....seriously consider getting a coach larger than you think you need....because as new RV owners, most underestimate what will make them happy.

Again if you have the budget to spend.....seriously consider getting the diesel pusher 1st also, as the air cushion ride, air brakes, etc. are also things the new RV owner doesn't think they need, but later wishes they had them.

pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote

class a