Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #1

Class A sway?

Hello everyone! I'm new to the MH world and shopping for the first MH. Was originally looking at Class C's, but saw a nice Class A (Itasca Sunstar) that got my attention. I friend 'warned me' about a sway issue that A's have but C's don't. Can anyone enlighten me on what this is, how significant it can be, has it made anyone switch fro A to C? Many Thanks!!
jerztime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard.

There are lots of posts in the Forums regarding your issue. I don't know of any that specifically addressed someone going from an A to a C because of sway. Type sway in the google search widow in the tool bar above and leave it set to irv2.com and you will find copious reading to help you in your search.

Best of luck in your decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I have driven both and due to distance behind the rear axle, both had tail wag or sway. There are after market products to help each.
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #4

Your friend is a little mis informed…. Not all class a's sway as some of the over length c's do also. Depends on the chassis and how much overhang behind the rear axle the unit has. Beware the "cheaper" models that are built on a short chassis and have excessive overhang . You'll get the tail wagging the dog affect in either a class a or c.

Coaches handle differently. Reminds me of a friend of ours that traded off a 40ft "problem" Monaco DP for a 36ft gas Allegro. She swore the Allegro was going to tip over cause she was so used to driving the air ride Monaco that was glued to the ground. She got used to driving the "sprung" Allegro after about 6 months of driving it.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #5

We have a 37'8" class A with a 14ft overhang and don't seem to notice any tail wag,up front anyway,sometimes passengers will say it swings and sways on certain roads or windy conditions when they go to the bathroom.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 39' Allegro RED. The only thing that wags in my coach are 4 tails.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:25 PM   #7

SOME Class A's - the ones with a lot of overhang behind the rear axle - will have the "tail wagging" problem. The longer the overhang behind the rear axle, the worse it will be.

You can easily determine how bad the problem might be. Divide the wheelbase by the overall coach length. For example, our Mandalay is built on a 276" wheelbase Freightliner chassis. The overall length of our coach is 41' 6" or 498".

276/498 = 55% - OK

Anything over 53% will be pretty stable. Numbers below 53% will be unstable, and numbers less than 50% are downright dangerous.

Many 36' coaches have this problem. They are built on a shorter wheelbase chassis and typically have a longer overhang behind the rear wheels. A 36' coach is 432" long and many are built on a 228" wheelbase chassis.

228/432 = 52% - not good.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:21 AM   #8

Add a trac bar to the rear and stiffen both sway bars and tail wag will go away unless you have some other mechanical issue or your tire pressures are off-Rich
pauperspride.blogspot.com
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerztime View Post
Hello everyone! I'm new to the MH world and shopping for the first MH. Was originally looking at Class C's, but saw a nice Class A (Itasca Sunstar) that got my attention. I friend 'warned me' about a sway issue that A's have but C's don't. Can anyone enlighten me on what this is, how significant it can be, has it made anyone switch fro A to C? Many Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
SOME Class A's - the ones with a lot of overhang behind the rear axle - will have the "tail wagging" problem. The longer the overhang behind the rear axle, the worse it will be.

You can easily determine how bad the problem might be. Divide the wheelbase by the overall coach length. For example, our Mandalay is built on a 276" wheelbase Freightliner chassis. The overall length of our coach is 41' 6" or 498".

276/498 = 55% - OK

Anything over 53% will be pretty stable. Numbers below 53% will be unstable, and numbers less than 50% are downright dangerous.

Many 36' coaches have this problem. They are built on a shorter wheelbase chassis and typically have a longer overhang behind the rear wheels. A 36' coach is 432" long and many are built on a 228" wheelbase chassis.

228/432 = 52% - not good.
+1 on this info from Rich n Linda. One additional concern with using a smaller chassis is the reduced weight bearing capacity. You could find yourself overweight before you're even half loaded. You always have to be very careful shopping a Class A in the 35-37 ft range, or a Class C in the low to mid 30 ft.

To help in your shopping, and for detailed ratings based on this and other factors, I suggest you visit The RV Consumer Group www.rv.org .
Subscribe, read, learn. We found them to be a very valuable source when we were shopping for our coach.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have a problem with sway on my coach!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I don't have a problem with sway on my coach!
Me neither.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtrk99 View Post
Add a trac bar to the rear and stiffen both sway bars and tail wag will go away unless you have some other mechanical issue or your tire pressures are off-Rich
pauperspride.blogspot.com

there is some thing else to look out for that is not added

making things stiffer is not the way to go on some RVs

RVs with a rubber gasket type installed windshields like to start to pop out when you stiffen thing up to much

but you see this more on bigger class A RVs then Cs so make sure its safe to do this type of updates on any RV that you want to add them too
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #13

Sway

No sway on our unmodified 37' coach
Old 07-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #14

Most all the new class A's come stock with front and rear anti sway bars. Many owners will to the Cheap Handling Fix, see threads on that. There are many after market additions if you feel it's needed. My coach handles very well. I did a few modifications for my own personal preference of how I wanted it to handle. Each coach is different and handles different.

Handling also depend on the loads you carry and if you have proper tire pressures. Some coaches need an alignment, like I said each coach is very different. The general statement your friend made is like saying all American made cars break down and foreign cars don't.

Tags
class a