Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
Class A Texas inspection by mobile service?

As we have been set up for a few months and plan to be here a few months more, does anyone know if any mobile RV services will come to my site and perform the Texas inspection so I can renew my tags next month? I've checked a couple of websites, but don't see anything indicting they do.
Not having to pack up to drive a few miles to a shop that would inspect my coach would make DW happy.
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwannabe View Post
As we have been set up for a few months and plan to be here a few months more, does anyone know if any mobile RV services will come to my site and perform the Texas inspection so I can renew my tags next month? I've checked a couple of websites, but don't see anything indicting they do.
Not having to pack up to drive a few miles to a shop that would inspect my coach would make DW happy.
I'm not aware of any shops that do that. Where are you in Texas right now?
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
I certainly understand the need to keep the DW happy, and if possible, I would love to help a brother out!
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Can you just wait until you move it ?
you won't need your tags until then anyway
Old 01-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Can you just wait until you move it ?
you won't need your tags until then anyway
actually the law requires them to tow it a short distance to check brakes.
yes that means attached to the tow vehicle...and yes their driver
make sure everything it secured for sudden stops

and if you fail to get the inspection done prior to tag expiration, they can impose a late fee.
i let my hauler trailer go past the deadline and got hit with a warning letter,
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
actually the law requires them to tow it a short distance to check brakes.
yes that means attached to the tow vehicle...and yes their driver
make sure everything it secured for sudden stops

and if you fail to get the inspection done prior to tag expiration, they can impose a late fee.
i let my hauler trailer go past the deadline and got hit with a warning letter,
I have had six inspections on our motorhome by three different places and have never heard of this requirement. I think this is misinformation.

The law has recently changed so that you don't get a separate inspection sticker but rather a letter that shows it passed inspection. You take the letter to show when you have to pay the registration tax and get one of those stickers. So, you will end up with only one sticker instead of two.

If your registration expires, say, in June of 2016 you want to get your vehicle inspected in, say, May so you have the inspection letter in time to renew registration.

I don't know of a mobile service that does this. They do typically take it for a short spin to check brakes and handling so you would have to unhook anyway. Might as well take it for a spin and get it done at a shop. After the inspection take DW out for a nice dinner. All will be well.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Since the new law, I have removed any expired inspection stickers on any of my vehicles as long as the registration was still current. You will be OK as long as the registration is in order.
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
actually towables are required a break inspection of action
just like the cars and trucks
I misread and thought he had a trailer rv
AND class A are subject to a rolling STOP break check. be advised the technician if they desire to drive your RV, check to se if they possess a license for larger vehicle
my bus, the tech just checks lights and such
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The new Texas law is you must get the vehicle inspected any time within 90 days prior to renewing the registration. It should be in the computer system as being inspected, but always take the printed inspection certificate with you to the tax office just in case.

As for inspection, I have never heard of a mobile inspection service. As previously said, they normally have to either drive it to test the brakes, or have you drive it for them.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
Mobile Inspection

Ah, yes! The brake test! Didn't think this all the way through before posting the question!
Thanks for the quick responses!

TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Unfortunately things have changed in TX. With the new laws & electronic transmission of inspections the places that used to do mobile inspections can no longer do it. Not by choice but mandated by the state. We live in TX permanently now but have our RV parked on our RV lot until we sell one or the other & we had hoped that when it came back from Red Bay we could have it inspected by our local guy. He informed us all that they can no longer do it. It would be nice if Escapees can try to fight this but I don't see it changing any time soon.
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought I remembered that TX did have the "stationary" case covered and would still allow registration / title change, but I don't remember the details.

I'm very afraid of all the inspection "guys" that might want to do a brake check in a Class-A or 5th wheel with a lot of weight... Checking for a Class-A DL is a good idea, but all that's going to get you is unable to find someone to do an inspection.

Definitely a problem there if the inspectors have to "drive" it but aren't actually licensed for the vehicle class.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #13

Just an FYI in case you don't get a copy of your Texas vehicle inspection report or you lose your copy...

you can go to www.mytxcar.org and get a copy for your records by entering your VIN. This is how the county tax offices verify your inspection is current.

I proactively print a copy and mail it along with my Texas proof of insurance card with my registration renewal to my county tax assessor. This was extremely helpful when our new Jeep had a two year inspection sticker but expired tags. I never got the inspection report from the Jeep dealer but I was able to print the info from this website just so I had it.
CampTBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:38 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Find a place that works on large vehicles. Then you won't have to worry about them driving it.

In the Houston area we have Strouhal Tires which does our inspection. They specialize in commercial vehicles and there are always other class A's and large trucks around. Also a good place for things like wheel alignments and oil changes.

I am sure you have similar places in San Antonio. And yes, the new inspection/registration system requires the vehicle to be inspected in order to register for the current year. You pass inspection and it goes in the computer. You go for registration and they pull up the information as verification.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, service, texas