Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I always tell my friends to buy the fronts first and wait a year and buy the rears. It breaks up the expenditure this time and the next time you need tires. Most of us have been trained to replace are car tires all at once, but RV tires can be bought in segments.

That's the plan I follow. Even did a blog post Feb 10 on the details. Did my first two 7-1/2 year old tires in April. Next two will be Spring of 2016 and last two Spring 2017.
Always with the newest on the front.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #16

I would be the odd man out here. I'd stick those suckers on the rear in a heartbeat. Not in the sun and never mounted...Even if you only used them for 4 years, it would be a bargin. Stick new ones up front and go camping.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:44 AM   #17

I agree with Bucky.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Conchasjim Send a message via Yahoo to Conchasjim
Ok, so I bought some new Toyo M122's for the Motorhome today. $2500 out the door. With dyna beads for balancing. New to that product for balancing. Anyone have experience with them?
So, I'm wondering if my old Bridgestone R260's have any value? They have a lot of thread, like new I'd say. But they do have some sidewall cracking. Not a lot , but to me, too much for my $100K rig. I'm thinking for trailer tires on a big rig?
Any input? I would guess at least $100 each or so? Any ideas how to market them?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchasjim View Post
Ok, so I bought some new Toyo M122's for the Motorhome today. $2500 out the door. With dyna beads for balancing. New to that product for balancing. Anyone have experience with them?
So, I'm wondering if my old Bridgestone R260's have any value? They have a lot of thread, like new I'd say. But they do have some sidewall cracking. Not a lot , but to me, too much for my $100K rig. I'm thinking for trailer tires on a big rig?
Any input? I would guess at least $100 each or so? Any ideas how to market them?
Trust the person selling you the balance beads suggested the appropriate valve stems with the filters to prevent dust from getting into the valve core or TPM sensor which can render it useless.

RE selling old tires. I just did a new post on my blog just on that topic.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
That's the plan I follow. Even did a blog post Feb 10 on the details. Did my first two 7-1/2 year old tires in April. Next two will be Spring of 2016 and last two Spring 2017.
I read it in your blog a few months back and I'm starting with my steers next month. I'll keep one of the old ones for a non-mounted spare and... I dunno... roll the other down a sand dune I guess It's really not worth putting up with Craigslist losers just to try to sell one tire.

Not only are you not shelling out all that money for eight tires at once, it actually helps free up the budget for other things, like shocks, brakes, front end alignments, etc. I need a front end alignment for sure, and I'm even considering installing a Safe-T-Plus... maybe. I don't need it or really even want it, but it might make my wife feel safer driving it. The point is that instead of having to talk her into $8k for tires and $450 for this and $399 for that, it's $1600 hundred for front tires, balanced, alignment and new shocks. We'll start all over again next year with the drive axle, and the year after that for the TAG

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the rest of us. It's a clear source with credibility and invaluable for debunking wives tales and Internet know it alls.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchasjim View Post
I've had set now for 6.5 years. Extremely durable. Very smooth driving tire. They track well, too. If I had to nit pick I'd say the sidewalks are a bit stiff. That said the Dynasty in my year came with moderately stiff shocks.

I plan to replace them with Michelins. I have a long history with Michelins, truck auto and motorcycle. I'm looking for a softer side wall, too.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
I would go for em myself if the other tires need replacement....just wouldnt put them on the steering axle, I'd go new on those.Thats a heck of a deal...I put used michelin tires on the rear duals of my last coach and had no issues ...was even considering re-treads at the time but couldnt find the right specs....but thats me I might be a bit of a risk taker...or just cheap!!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would buy them in a second and have them inspected every year for the next 4 years.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
class A tires

Think about this. Even tho the tires are unused they are older. Older tires are dirt cheap. And by that they are not worth $150.00 each. Seventy Five or eighty each would be a good deal for you. Put them on the rear and give them good care and you will get 4 good years from them. That way they become a really good buy. At $150.00 not that good a buy for a 7 or nearly 8 year old tire. Watch them carefully for sidewall cracking after they are in service.

Tags
class a, tires