Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #1

Class A tool kit

I did some searching, didn't really come up with anything definitive on the subject. What do you consider mandatory to have in a tool box on your class A motorhome? I'm a new motorhome owner and putting some stuff together to keep on board. Obviously different makes/models will have certain things that others won't, I'm just trying to come up with a generic list.

Comprehensive socket and wrench set
Assorted screwdrivers
Assorted pliers and vice grips
Small hammer and pry bar
Duct tape and electrical tape
Electrical kit (dykes, strippers, wire, connectors, solder gun, fuses, test light)
Extra quart of motor oil, starting fluid, WD40
Gloves, shop towels, Oil Dri/kitty litter/sawdust
Flashlight and extra batteries
Jumper cables
Tow strap (you never know!)

What else?

djgaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No starting fluid!
You rig has a grid heater in the intake. Spray starting fluid on the hot grid wires and you won't like the results.
My rig takes gallons of oil, a quart won't even be noticed. My rig has a 7 gallon reservoir and an electric pump to add the oil directly to the crankcase.
Test light is handy but you really need a VOM.
I'm way over prepared, I have 5 torque wrenches alone, a 1/2" impact wrench, torque multiplyer and 3/4" socket set. Plus lots more.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #3

I had read
Carry tools that fit every nut bolt on the coach.
Never know what will need attention.
I carry a 1/2 in tq wrench also to tq up anything from bolts to wheels.
And a 10 ton bottle jack.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgaston View Post
I did some searching, didn't really come up with anything definitive on the subject. What do you consider mandatory to have in a tool box on your class A motorhome? I'm a new motorhome owner and putting some stuff together to keep on board. Obviously different makes/models will have certain things that others won't, I'm just trying to come up with a generic list.

Comprehensive socket and wrench set
Assorted screwdrivers
Assorted pliers and vice grips
Small hammer and pry bar
Duct tape and electrical tape
Electrical kit (dykes, strippers, wire, connectors, solder gun, fuses, test light)
Extra quart of motor oil, starting fluid, WD40
Gloves, shop towels, Oil Dri/kitty litter/sawdust
Flashlight and extra batteries
Jumper cables
Tow strap (you never know!)

What else?
Things I use the most is Multimeter - electric drill/screw gun - Fuses - Oil and Filters.

This is a search item if you really want to get into it. But as you will soon find out the tool you don't have is the one you NEED.

Credit Card and Cell Phone - will work in a pinch.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:21 PM   #5

I thought I had it all till I needed a valve stem tool at a campground in the middle no where!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrule View Post
I thought I had it all till I needed a valve stem tool at a campground in the middle no where!
Paper clip and leatherman will do in a Pinch. Yes I have......
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #7

I'd replace the WD-40 with a lubricant that does not collect dust. (For use on tow bar, steps, etc.) Now perhaps the WD-40 could be used some places but one must be careful not to make problems with dust collecting.

Tom
Old 09-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #8

Lots of good suggestions so far, it is basically what I carry, including the corded electric impact driver, a set of impact sockets, 1/2 inch torque wrench, as well as a 15 inch 3/8 drive breaker bar, and a 24 inch 1/2 drive breaker bar. Also cordless drill/driver and various types of sockets and bits (torx, etc.). Most of it goes in this 28" Tool Box on Wheels - DWST28100 | DEWALT handiest tool box I have ever owned, has wheels and an extending handle so it can be rolled around like a modern suitcase.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #9

Extra set of all belts . And any wrenches needed to change them . And a Leatherman surge.

Itasca66
Old 09-23-2017, 01:48 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tools

There is an extensive discussion about tools here:

TOOLs Let's talk TOOLs

Good luck.

Charles.
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:14 AM   #11

You can not have too many tools, have one Bay outside 40 footer and two drawers inside devoted to tools
Old 09-23-2017, 07:18 AM   #12

As well as all the standard tools mention already, I carry a crows foot wrench that fits the trans torque bushing on the slide out motor drive system...with a 24" 1/2" breaker bar and torque wrench capable of 150 ft lbs. If for some reason the slide motor seizes this is the only tool that will let me disconnect the mechanism so I can close the slide and continue travels. Because I carry it I don't have any slide problems
Old 09-23-2017, 07:31 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a good kit. I also add a bigger hammer. Assorted electronics stuff (But that's my hobby) and air-powered impact and other tools and a Angle Grinder.. I've found the air powered one is a bit of a pain when I need to use it but the electric one does not always fit where I need it to Fit. (Thus I have one of each)

Oh, and a orbital buffer/sander for wax-off.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:42 AM   #14
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Tools we carry as a Full Timers

We are FTers, and I do all my own maintenance, unless of course it’s something that I just can’t or shouldn’t do on the road, like changing a tire or rebuilding an engine. But, I am constantly either lubing, tightening, adjusting, checking, replacing, washing or waxing something. I keep our MH in tip top condition as much as possible and am a big believer in PM and practice it often.

When you’re on the road FTing, being able to repair or perform PM is essential and getting spare parts delivered to you in a pinch sometimes can be challenging at best. If you’re a weekend warrior, you won’t have to carry as much stuff on board as a FTer would or should. In many cases, you’ll just wait till you get home and fix it then but in other cases you need to fix it NOW.

When we lived in our S&B and being a former Journeyman Millwright, I always had a very well equipped garage with tools and never was afraid to work on practically anything. But getting ready to outfit our MH with a tool bay, I had to pair down all what I had to—what I needed and wanted—to carry onboard. I like tools.

So, since you were asking about tools and other associated items you need, lets take it a step further and that would be accessing and storing these tools, parts, lubes etc.

So here’s how I equipped and organized my tool bay.

When I first tackled this project, I dedicated one (1) storage bay for all my tools, lubes, extra common & critical replaceable parts, oils, lubes, filters, etc. That way everything that I have concerning repairs and PM items is in one place.

I first bought a carry bag that I accessorized that with the most used and common tools that I usually need for most jobs. That way, when I need to work on something, I just grab that bag first and usually it has most everything in there to fix most things. But sometimes it doesn’t have what I need. (I love this bag BTW) All the other tools that I may need from time to time, I used to keep in stackable, plastic bins. But I quickly discovered that was a real hassle to say the least.

I’d have to dig into the bay, remove things out of the way, find the right plastic bin, lift that heavy bin out of the bay and then start digging through the bin to find what I needed. I put up with that for about 6 months before I was done with that method.

So, I totally rearranged and organized my storage bay to make it easy to get to everything I needed and maximize space. No I’m not as organized and pretty as FIRE UP is—his tool bay is beautiful and meticulous for sure. But my tool bay is very well equipped and organized that works for me. I also have plenty of CCC to carry all this stuff as well. A consideration some owners will need to take into consideration when shopping for a MH or equipping their tool bay.
FIRE UP tool bay:
TOOLs Let's talk TOOLs — (post 13)

• So when redoing my tool bay, I measured—carefully—and bought a 5 drawer tool box that fit perfectly in a spot that allowed me to put my tool bag in front of that. Buying this tool box for all my other tools—especially the larger, heavy stuff—was the best thing I’ve done to organize my tool bay. Heavy stuff like, full set of 1/4”, 3/8” and 1/2” drive, shallow and deep sockets, extensions & rackets, set of American and Metric wrenches, pipe wrench, a couple of C clamps, hack saw, a few common taps, dies, assorted easy outs, drill bits, etc.

• Then I dedicated one (1) large plastic bin with all my lubes, sprays, powders, cleaners, paper towels, sealants, etc.

•*Next to that bin, I carry extra coolant, windshield cleaner for my reservoir, my 5 star tune unit, a battery charger, soldering gun, Dremel tool kit, large bag of assorted electrical ties and so on.

• I reused some of my other smaller stackable plastic bins for lighter items.
One for:
- electrical parts, fuses, wire, connectors, heat shrinks, etc.
- assorted tapes, glues, locktiite, etc.
- oils, filters, tubing,….
- and so on…

• I also carry 4, plastic, stackable, organizer bins for small things. Each bin specializes in carrying, screws, bolts nuts, plumbing items, hose clamps, electrical parts and so on.

• In addition to these things, I have a portable air compressor and digital air pressure gauge, portable LED shop light, LED headlamp (which I wear all the time when fixing things and love it), 1 large 1/2” drive and 1 medium 3/8” ft. lb. torque wrench and 1 small 3/8” drive inch lb. torque wrench.

• I reused some of my other smaller plastic bins to store my replacement parts and slid them all the way in the back of the bay since I don’t access them often. I won’t list them all here but it includes things like being able to do a complete 100 hr. PM on our generator. I don’t carry a lot of spare parts, but I do carry critical spare parts that would be difficult to obtain in a pinch.

Also carry a Dale Adams Enterprises The Bone-ster 4031 Mechanics Creeper which is absolutely the best creeper ever and I’m 6’ 3” @ 195lbs. You can even roll on gravel with this thing.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RSC3P2QP&psc=1

So as you can see I carry quite a bit of stuff BUT it is rare that I have to run to the store and get something that I don’t have…but it does happen from time to time.

In conclusion—you or anyone else for that matter—starts to think through about what tools you’ll need, there are many components to this project and will take time to refine and organize them so that it’s fairly complete and efficient to access them and make it all work for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	177542   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	177543  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg