Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Had mine towed 65 miles and with Coach Net my cost was ZERO

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As the OP here, I am trying to get a handle on the actual average cost of towing so that I can make the right decision as to how much towing coverage to purchase so that in the unlikely event that I need a tow, I will not have to pay anything. Thanks to all of those who provided actual numbers to help in my decision making process. 👍😊

Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #17

Been a couple of years, still have Allstate Motor Club that coverd a 110 mile tow, no chrg. ! POLICY SAYS NEAREST REPAIR FACILITY. This one was near my house, another was about 50 miles different direction. Allstate 'velly, velly' good to me so far!
Old 06-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcolmac17 View Post
Double check your policy on that coverage, that it is for any roadside emergency. Insurance policies are normally for accidents or damage losses, not for breakdowns due to maintenance or malfunctions. Coachnet and GoodSam are around $100/yr, and is for breakdowns.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
USAA and The Harford covers roadside assistance for tires, fuel, break down up to a set figure. I pay a premium of $14 annual for Towing and Rental Car why shouldn't they cover it. They pay more for the service then basic GS Roadside per event. GS is under $100 for only the first year, then renewal is 50 % increase. But your right, its better then nothin.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been towed 2 times, both paid for in full by Good Sam roadside assistance. Best 99.00 a year you will spend.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
About 4 years ago, the belt broke just into WY and we we towed back to Scott's Bluff, NE. The cost was $1230.00 which Coach net covered totally.
That's one of the reasons I buy only side radiator units and carry spare belts! We also have Coach Net but at least I'm not stranded waiting for a tow for just a broken belt.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
Larry, Beverly & Pat
Pups - Sweetie, Coco, Bodie
2013 Thor Tuscany, 45', Freightliner chassis, Cummins ISL10, towing a Buick Enclave
Never heard of an ISL10, they are 8.9L
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #22

Here is a link to a local towing co in Dothan, AL. See link for their rates.

Rates | Wrecker Services | Towing Services | 24 Hour Emergency Towing | Vehicle Recovery Service | Dothan | Alabama | Out of State | Wiregrass Area
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
As the OP here, I am trying to get a handle on the actual average cost of towing so that I can make the right decision as to how much towing coverage to purchase so that in the unlikely event that I need a tow, I will not have to pay anything. Thanks to all of those who provided actual numbers to help in my decision making process. ����
You really shouldn't have to figure out anything. Just get Coach-Net. They will tow everything you own if you break down (unlimited miles to a repair facility), or change tires, give you a jump start, pull you out of a ditch, etc.

If you are in an accident your insurance company should cover the tow (check).
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
After being an insurance adjuster for a short span in career, then becoming a snowbird. Its amazing that many Rv'ers don't understand that Towing coverage on they're auto policy covers roadside assistance and "break down towing". Many are under the misconception that it has to be an accident, which is correct if you don't take the additional premium Towing or Rental car levels of coverage. My USAA and Hartford policy covered to a greater $$ limit on towing/roadside assist then GS does and at a cheaper annual rate. They are paying twice for same coverage, and its illegal to stack claims. By the way, GS premium increases by 50% on 2nd yr renewal. But I know some folks feel they sleep better after writing checks. Have you ever met people that "believe" that when they pay more for same item/service they think they're getting "better". And "You get what you pay for"...is not always the case in life.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:21 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Never heard of an ISL10, they are 8.9L
??...maybe meant..... ISL9 For EPA 2010
Old 06-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Several years ago our coach was in a major accident. The tow company charged my insurer about $400 to get us off the interstate and tow to his yard, only about 10 miles but at least two hours to get the coach hooked up, drive shaft disconnected, and then towed. A few days later I had them tow it to a motorhome repair shop 105 miles away (the nearest well-qualified shop for a major repair) and the bill to my insurer was about $1200, as I recall. I assume prices have increased since then.

Bottom line is that a $750 limit is probably not adequate, but might cover most of a tow job.

As others have pointed out, there are usually two different towing coverage situations, i.e. accident and breakdown. Towing after an accident is often considered part of the accident repair and thus covered by your collision or comprehensive insurance. Typically no fixed limit of those. Mechanical breakdowns and road mishaps, like getting stuck in mud, are usually handled under a separate "towing" coverage, i.e. you just needed to be towed but not because of any insured accident. Those typically have some dollar limit. Make sure you understand what your policy covers, and when.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Why even worry about what a tow may cost, just sign up for a Coach-Net ERS Plan and you will never have to worry about it again.

I have their Premium Level plan which covers ALL vehicles plus covers me or my wife when riding in someone else's vehicle.

I have had my coach and trailer towed twice last year. Once in Oregon on my way to Alaska and once in British Columbia when returning from Alaska. Read about them below.

Breakdown Near Coburg Oregon

Breakdown in Northern British Columbia

The second tow would have cost me over $7000 for towing the coach plus the trailer. It was over 200 miles each way.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #28
DJJ

After reading the posts here and the recent one on the Newmar section about towing it's time I change from Good Sam to Coach Net.

Had to get towed from my house to a Cat shop in Miami about a month ago. Told GS I was a 40' diesel pusher but the first tow company that showed up said they were not told that. The first driver had a second driver come over to look at my rig, they are local. The second driver was their heavy duty guy. He said I needed a truck with L arms to reach under the front wheels. The only way he could tow me was to use the car hitch on the back and that was not strong enough.

Called back to GS and the next day the second company showed up. Driver looked at my 40' DP and said the same thing as the first. If I tow you from your car hitch bad things could happen.

Now I call GS again and told my story again. Said they will call back. Half hour later they called and I was told from the caller that his supervisor said to tell me that they could not find a tow truck that would come to the Keys from Miami. I was on my own even though I had towing insurance.

All I can say it's a good thing I was home and not stuck on the road someplace.

I did an Internet search and called a couple of tow companies in Miami and they said they go as far south as the road goes (Key West). So I called GS once more and explained to them that I could give them names and numbers, the call taker did not want my information but said to give him 30 minutes and he would call back. An hour later he called back and said a truck was in route.

That driver had the L arms to reach under the front wheels but said that was $200 extra, for the price he quoted GS he would tow me by my rear mounted hitch. He assured me he could do that just fine. Nope, not on my watch, not after others told me otherwise. So he called GS back and they told him they would not pay any extras, the $200 was on me.

At this point $200 is a small price to pay to just get the RV to the shop. I called on a Monday morning and about 7:30 Tuesday evening the RV was finally hooked up for the 60 mile tow.

So next year Coach Net is getting my money. Wrote a letter to GS but not very optimistic about getting my $200 back. Also I found out from the drivers that it is Allstate who GS uses to run their tow insurance program.

Safe travels

Jeff

Tags
class a, tow, towing