Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #183

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by russpang View Post
One more question. I realize the garage is 10' deep - I have a trike that is 12' long. With the garage door open, do you think the front wheel would fit inside the door enough?
18 months ago, I took my unit to the New Braunfels HD dealer when I was being tempted by the new Trikes (my Guardian Angel had taken the day off and I lost control)...

At any rate we loaded the bike with no ramp issues, but the bike would not clear the back ramp even with the door open and the front wheel resting just over the threshold of the door. Specifically we were about 2 inches too long because the angle of the back of the trike actually "leans" towards the rear - if that makes sense.

But mine is kinda weird with the Murphy bed in the back...perhaps you'll have better luck!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #184
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will take a stab at these Q's from my point of view. This info is mostly for NEW 2014's and are just my experiences - only worth what you paid for this reply...See BLUE below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire62 View Post
Hello. I have been reading the information here for a while now and finally decided to join and ask a few questions from some folks who have the knowledge and experience I lack. My wife and I will be retiring in a year from now with plans to at least snow bird in British Columbia and then live with our adult kids in AZ in the winter. We may even full time. Just like everyone else it seems, our choice of a Class "A" toyhauler is between the Damon Outlaw and Newmar Canyon Star (I really like the new 3921 layout). At this point I plan to haul a Smart Car and trail a Can-Am Spyder.

Can anyone tell me the "real world" selling price differential between these 2 units?
The MSRP's are "kinda" close with the CanyonStar (CS) 3920 at $172K (3921 pricing is not out yet), Outlaw at $170 for the 37MD and $163 for the 37LS . Dealers are known to sell at 20%-30% below MSRP but this is a case-by-case situation - BUT - you have to make the best deal for you. Like if buying from a volume dealer (might be a lower price) or if the unit is fully dressed with all options (higher prices). Newmar says they custom build every RV they sell, so the buyer is getting a promised set-up. Thor dresses each unit in 1 of a few combo's and most all options are standard.

Which unit will have the better (meaning least) depreciation?
The unit with the most options will probably hold it's value best.
Newmar has a "following" (for lack of a better word) and members of that group give high praise for Newmar over all other brands. Thor has been making the Outlaw (starting as Damon) since 2006, so there are MANY MORE Outlaws on the road, giving brand recognition.
Facts are: The Chassis are identical 24K GVWR Ford F53's in both mfgt's, the build quality is very similar, and the MSRP is close, so - for the a Class A Toyhauler - there is no clear answer - probably will come down to how the owner cares for the unit.

Which unit has the better warranty? Is the warranty voided for "full timers"?
The Chassis and second party equipment ('fridge, micro, furnace, etc) are basically the same. Newmar advertises a 5 year warranty on the body. Thor says to contact dealers for warranty specific. Don't think full-timing should change the warranty.

Which unit has better availability for service?
Depends on your location - Both mfgt's have a network of approved shops. Like La Mesa RV and many other dealers/chains.

This may not be the forum to ask this question but here goes. I am also grappling with the decision of 5th wheel toy hauler vs. class A. What are the key decision makers that swayed you to the Class A?
That is really a personal choice. 5er's cost less and are better for long-term living with fewer transit movements (hook-up/Drop-off)...but there is the add'l cost of the truck. Motorhomes are best to just pick-up and go with little lead-time. No towable RV's allow the occupants to get-up from their seat while on the road to get a drink or use the toilet. You are not gonna tow the CamAm behind a 5er unless you are in one of those states with "triple towing" allowed.

Looking forward to a reply. Thanks!
Best of luck!

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #185

Newmar Owners Club
I'm having a curiosity about owning a Class A and starting to do some research. I'm having difficulty finding a diesel Class A toy hauler. I like the looks of both the Outlaw and the Canyon Star but it seems they only come with gas engines. Gulfstream, no more?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #186

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
A dealer selling Newmar AND Thor Motor Coach is "new" to me too. But not because there was a competitor nearby with the "other brand...but, because the TMC and Newmar dealers near me have both said - "We don't carry both brands, it's a mandate from the manufacturer."

Even MHSRV in Texas doesn't sell both brands-new. Being in the volume sales biz, I would think they would if they could.

Safe travels to all.
Check this out! We are heading out for a trip to Kansas for a wedding. I decided to see what dealers were along the way because we really want to get hands on with a 37LS. Found St. Louis RV has one on the lot and they also have a Newmar 3920 on the lot.

RV Dealers in St. Louis Area - St Louis RV - 1080 West Terra Ln. O'Fallon, MO 63366
"The Dutch Oven AdventuresII"
ensiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #187

Newmar Canyon Star 3921 (new floor plan pics)

Someone was asking for pics of the new Newmar Canyon Star 3921 floor plan.

Here's what I found:

http://www.dougatbucarsrv.com/2014-C...Star-3921.html

The new "televator" looks interesting along with the revised dinette. Not sure if I like it though. More space in the master bedroom is welcome as well as the increase in fridge size. Also curious about the "size" and "feel" of the new radius shower compared to the one in the 3920.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #188

2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3921

And here are some more pics:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2144511&type=3
Old 07-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #189

Newmar Canyon Star 3921 plan discontinued

So much for the pretty pictures I found of the 3921 floorplan. Due to engineering issues the 3921 has been discontinued.

Too bad, so sad!

But good on Newmar for not putting out what would have been a sub-standard product!!!

Makes me want a 3920 even more!!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #190
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire62 View Post
So much for the pretty pictures I found of the 3921 floorplan. Due to engineering issues the 3921 has been discontinued.

Too bad, so sad!

But good on Newmar for not putting out what would have been a sub-standard product!!!

Makes me want a 3920 even more!!!!
-Discontinued?- Or was it delayed? Could you please post the info source?

The massive drivers side slide proposed in the 3921 is awesome! Rexall does it, so I hope Newmar can figue it out.

Thanks for the posts.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #191

Newmar Canyon Star 3921

My source was a representative from Newmar. He specifically said "discontinued". They only made 1 demo unit (hence the pictures). Personally, I'm hoping "delayed" and that they solve the "engineering issues" as I kinda like the new floorplan as it takes care of a few items from the 3920 that I don't particularly care for, but seeing as at this moment Newmar is the only game in town (at least as far as I'm concerned; (I really don't like the loft bedroom in the Damon Outlaw), beggars can't be choosers. I wonder why some of the other Class "A" manufacturers haven't stepped up to the plate? My guess is it has to do with something called "demand".
Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #192
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Class A Toyhauler beats Towable

An Outlaw 3611 was featured this week on a TV show about "Buying RV's" on Destination America:

Buying RV's: RV with a Garage? : Destination America

The Selling Dealer didn't even talk about how the Outlaw has a fueling station like the big 5er featured, or about the electric rear drop-down bunk in the garage...but the family still picked the Outlaw.

Safe travels to all
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #193
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's a 2009 Georgetown GTX for sale at PPL the RV parts and supply shop: 2009 Georgetown Gtx 3600 for Sale - A787 - PPL Motor Homes

See Post#125 for more on the GTX by Georgetown!
This one with the Workhorse Chassis (8.1L / Allison)

It looks like a clean rig.
Click image for larger version

Name:	24433-1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	42847

Name:	24433-2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	42848

Name:	24433-4.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	42849

Name:	24433-5.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	42850

Name:	24433-6.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	42851

Name:	24433-9.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	42852

Name:	24433-10.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	42853

Name:	24433-11.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	42854

Name:	24433-12.jpg
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	42855
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #194

Damon Owners Club
NADA Price clarity for OUTLAW

Finally had a lengthy email conversation with a NADA manager today concerning the FRED model 3612 Outlaw..the question being why doesn't NADA price guides include the model year 2008-2009? As many of you know, the 3611 & 3808 are listed already.

It turns out that NADA only includes a model that is produced in numbers greater than 25-30 (depending on type, trailer or MH) within any model year.

Since Damon / Thor have not (or will not) provided NADA with production figures for those 2 model years of 2008 & 2009, there are no corresponding price guides or trade in values for the model 3612 FRED's. the manager went on to claim that, in his view, the best recommendation he would make to any dealer or individual who asked for value figures, would be to use the model 3611 FRED values and add an additional $5000-6000 for the model 3612.

Although that probably doesn't help any of us who are FRED owners in the short term, perhaps it will change over time.

Just thought I'd share the info with the group.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #195
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
Finally had a lengthy email conversation with a NADA manager today concerning the FRED model 3612 Outlaw..the question being why doesn't NADA price guides include the model year 2008-2009? As many of you know, the 3611 & 3808 are listed already.

It turns out that NADA only includes a model that is produced in numbers greater than 25-30 (depending on type, trailer or MH) within any model year.

Since Damon / Thor have not (or will not) provided NADA with production figures for those 2 model years of 2008 & 2009, there are no corresponding price guides or trade in values for the model 3612 FRED's. the manager went on to claim that, in his view, the best recommendation he would make to any dealer or individual who asked for value figures, would be to use the model 3611 FRED values and add an additional $5000-6000 for the model 3612.

Although that probably doesn't help any of us who are FRED owners in the short term, perhaps it will change over time.

Just thought I'd share the info with the group.
This is very interesting...So, viewing the "on-line" NADA guide, I see;
2011 Damon Corporation Price, 2011 Damon Corporation Values & 2011 Damon Corporation Specs | NADAguides

The listing for 2009 - 2010 includes the 3611 and 3808 on the Freightliner FRED chassis - but no 3612...
and,
For 2008, there is pricing for the 3611 and 3612 on the WH and Ford Chassis, but no FRED.

So...if I understand right, NADA does not/will not list any 2008 Outlaw's on the Freightliner Chassis and/or any 2009 model 3612's...is that right?

Must be a burden to have such a rare and desirable rig...
...unless you are trying to sell or trade it in Say it isn't so

If so, I'm thinking that you are well positioned to demand the higher premium for your RV

Thanks for the info
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #196

Damon Owners Club
"So...if I understand right, NADA does not/will not list any 2008 Outlaw's on the Freightliner Chassis and/or any 2009 model 3612's...is that right?

Must be a burden to have such a rare and desirable rig...
...unless you are trying to sell or trade it in Say it isn't so

If so, I'm thinking that you are well positioned to demand the higher premium for your RV"

Yup. Except who ever said dealers did things that make sense? Yes, I've been looking around since January - obviously in no hurry - and I've been up to my ears in rapidly degenerating conversations with sales people telling me a) I really don't own a 3612 in a 2009 model year or b) since its not listed with NADA the best they can do is use the lowest value of a 3611....I can't begin to tell you how many smug faces I have felt the urge to modify in these past 6 months.

Ah well...I still love my Outlaw despite the majority of the world being morons.

Tags
class a, hurricane, rexhall