Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #253
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
More on the Volkner

I found a You Tube video about the Volkner - See posts #9 and 63.

Just perfect for those of you with a Mini or Alfa Romeo convertible...and about 1 Million Euros just burning a hole in your pocket!

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #254

Outlaw Motorhome

I have a 2008 3808 there are some cool things about the 12' cargo. Hope the this comes through. Works well when going to the lake the jeep sinks the boat and you have transportation
Jeep-Outlaw.MOV

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep-Outlaw2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	62880

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep-Outlaw1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	62881
btwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #255

Newmar Owners Club
Very nice BTWilson.
Mammalian04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #256

Jeep in outlaw

This was a cool find and had some thoughts about the weight issue. Holds the load fine but I can say I am over the manufacturer weight. But this made the motorhome that much more useful and it's not a cooper car or something like that. I am adding air bags to this to help hold it off the axel bumpers. Ramp seems to handle this fine you can see in the video. The jeep has chev 350 in it! And the boat I pull is 26' seems to be fine weight is about 5700. I have put a full banks kit on this which helped for sure and noticeable. When loaded this heavy we run with the heavy semi trucks and mileage is not part of any conversation but must say I am impressed with the unit and can run 75 down the flats
btwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #257

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Talking Really new!

Hello! I am an almost total newbie, though my parents had RV's way back when I showed horses. Now I show dogs as a hobby, and my husband and I have taken the plunge and purchased a new 2013 Canyon Star toy hauler! Eek lol Haven't taken delivery yet and praying I can drive it as it's quite a bit bigger than those I drove in my early 20's and a friends '96 Tioga class C!

My question...starting out in a Class A Toy Hauler, what do you wish you'd known? ...and what do you wish you'd bought before you took your first trip?!

Thank you! I've been lurking several months and have already learned a lot.
Javadawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #258

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations on your purchase. The Canyon Star is a nice unit. Watch your mirrors, pay attention to road signs for turns, height restrictions, construction warnings, and exit warnings and you should do fine. Keep you butt in the left tire tracks in the road way and you should stay between the lines and out of the right lane when passing.

One of the best first trips you can do is in your driveway. As soon as you feel like you could use something that you don't have, it's a short walk to get it. Having enough water hose is a wonderful thing, I carry 4 25 foot sections. A decent sewer hose is worth it's weight in gold. I have a Rhino Flex set with a clear adapter right on the RV so I can see what's going on. Always pull the gray tank valve first to test your connections, then close that and dump your black tank, then finish off with the gray which cleans out the sewer hose.. You'll need a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter at some point.

Beer!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #259
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
to javadawgs!

CONGRATS on the new Canyon Star! It's a beautiful RV, but it might be only slightly larger than the typical Class C. Height and width might be identical.

Since this sounds like a new RV purchase, your first task will be delivery. With warrantee repair available, you will want to do a thorough pre-delivery inspection (PDI). Make a written list of anything you find that needs attention and communicate all your concerns to the dealer immediately to avoid any confusion on their part.

After pick-up, then Don's advise is 110% right. Camping in your drive-way might seem silly, but it will help you prep for your first outing.

Congrats again, and here's hope that you come back to share about it.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #260

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by btwilson View Post
I have a 2008 3808 there are some cool things about the 12' cargo. Hope the this comes through. Works well when going to the lake the jeep sinks the boat and you have transportation
(Bowing my head)

You're a braver man then me brother. . .congrats on even getting that in there!
Old 05-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javadawgs View Post
Hello! I am an almost total newbie, though my parents had RV's way back when I showed horses. Now I show dogs as a hobby, and my husband and I have taken the plunge and purchased a new 2013 Canyon Star toy hauler! Eek lol Haven't taken delivery yet and praying I can drive it as it's quite a bit bigger than those I drove in my early 20's and a friends '96 Tioga class C!

My question...starting out in a Class A Toy Hauler, what do you wish you'd known? ...and what do you wish you'd bought before you took your first trip?!

Thank you! I've been lurking several months and have already learned a lot.
Quick question for an owner. We're almost ready to buy a Canyon Star ourselves. I just noticed in pictures that there doesn't look like there are any plugins in the galley. Are there any outlets on the bottom of the upper cabinets? or on the sidewall under the lift up extension? It's not going to keep us from buying a CS but just something that caught my eye as we were looking at units for sale.

Good info from the previous posters and I've been told a couple times by veteran RVers that just as you're ready to pull away from a campsite, DON'T. Have a walk around your rig looking for anything you may have over looked or forgotten to unhook. After days on the road and setting up and tearing down the routine can be a blur and you'll swear that you unhooked and stashed your water hose etc. only to see it all hooked up on your "final" walk around. It's also a good time to look up and check for low hanging branches etc. that can damage your roof, air conditioners etc.

I have a small paper taped to my instruments with my height in meters and feet for easy reference when pulling into gas stations or onto ferries etc.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. The Canyon Star is a nice unit. Watch your mirrors, pay attention to road signs for turns, height restrictions, construction warnings, and exit warnings and you should do fine. Keep you butt in the left tire tracks in the road way and you should stay between the lines and out of the right lane when passing.

Beer!
That's good advice. Our current class A is a split window so it's easy to keep the center divider, where it meets the dash on the white line and that keeps me centered in the lane. I'll have to get used to the panorama of the Canyon Star.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #263

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up Thank you!

I really appreciate the newbie info! I take delivery next week (didn't want to be driving it home on a Friday afternoon before a holiday around here!!).

I don't know about the Canyon Star outlets, but I'll try to look during the walk through.
Javadawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #264

Well, I'll finally be able to contribute to this thread. We just bought a Canyon Star. It's in another province so have to figure out when we can go pick it up but we're excited.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #265

Little help

Great forum! Thank you for the time and energy you all have put into collecting and sharing this information. Like many I am walking around the pool debating when I will jump in and how big of a splash I want to make. We have 2 kids, a Bohuahua (Boston/Chihuahua mix-I know... But we adopted so that makes it ok) and 3 dirt bikes to haul around. To start I had a few questions that I think will help me decide. I want to thank you in advance for any help you can offer:

-does anyone know how big the couch fold out is in the back "bed room" are in the outlaw 37MD? I can't imagine it is much bigger than a twin or a full? Can 2 adults sleep in it?
-what about the dinette bed? 2 adults?
-we ride dirt bikes and would like to go out into the desert or off the main roads and dry camp. Which one would you think have better suspension to handle low speed bumps, uneven road, etc (obviously not trying to race the Dakar in the thing....) the Outlaw or Newmar 3920?
-MPG?
-best site to find a used 3920 or outlaw? RV trader? Irv2?

Again, thank you!
Shapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #266
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Great questions...but not all simple answers.

First is the easiest answers - the "bedroom" in the Outlaw 37MD has a standard convertable couch that is as wide standard queen at 60" wide/74" long.
The dinette in the 37MD is a U lounge (not regular bench type) at 40" wide/64" long.
See: 2015 Outlaw Class A Toy Haulers: Class C Motorhomes by Thor Motor Coach

For the rest...is this a new or used purchase?
For used, I think the best "off-roadable" model between all the Canyon Stars and Outlaws ever made will be a used Outlaw on the 22,000lb GVWR Ford F53 (2007-2010). Lightly loaded it will have the best suspension for off road ride. The trade-off is a soft ride (can be less stable) on the highway and lower load capacity.

For new, the 2 Outlaws and 2 Canyon Stars are on identical 26,000lb GVWR/ 30,000Ford F53 Chassis. The Newmar 3620 is slightly heavier than both Outlaws so the garage capacity is impacted at 1500lb vs. 2500lb.

The Outlaw 37MD and CS3921 are only 1 model year old, so they will be very rare in the used market. The CS3920 was introduced in 2009, so there are some out there for sale used. The Outlaw 3611 (2007-2013) is the most plentyful in the used market and was built on 3 chassis (Ford w/V10, Workhorse w/8.1 V8, and Freightliner Front Engine Diesel).

The FRED can get about 7-9MPG, the W24 can get 7-8MPG, and the Ford (Outlaw and Canyon Star) can get 6-8...all depends on how you drive.

Used RV shopping is tricky. I would recommend you search everywhere you can shop including using "SearchTempest dot com" to search all of Craigslist...most everyone uses Craigslist, even dealerships.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV