Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #267

Little more help....

Thanks for the info. I am an idiot. I swear I looked on the thor site and saw floor plans. How I missed the dimensions of the sofa/dinette beds is amazing. As for new or used, I guess it depends on the best option when we are ready to pull the trigger. Ideally the newer the better, but... I think no matter what if we go for the Outlaw we will need the over cab bed which I believe didn't come as an option until 2013?

You bring up stability on the highway which raised an eyebrow. From what you are saying, and it would make sense, the heavier the RV the more stabile it is going to be. Correct?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #268
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shapi,
If you search for "cheap handling fix" you can read all about how the 22k Ford's ride in a way that many do not like. The softer ride = more sway = loose ride in wind and passing big rigs.

The heavier rated suspensions have less issue because they are just stiffer overall. This is a spring suspension factor...not often seen in airbag suspensions. The trade-off for the heavier suspensions is that the ride is harsh if you travel lightly loaded. I really discovered this comparing my first trip from dealer to home (empty) to my later trips with full water and toys in the garage. Of course the heavier the load, the lower the MPG (but not dramatic).

The Thor over-the-driver bunk is just a trade-off for the previous electric queen in the garage. Newmar still offers a 2 level garage bunk which is very nice. I wouldn't make a decision about model year because of that front bunk...but we prefer the loft over a bedroom area, because it is always clean, quiet, out of the way and does not use any valuable floor space.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #269

Good stuff. Thanks! Torn between the LS and MD...sleeping arrangements for kids and friends that join us will be a determinant. Guessing we will have to try and see both in person to decide. Last question for now, when dealing with a volume dealer such as MHSRV in Texas, given large advertised discounts, is there still wiggle room? Not sure if that can really be answered but anyone with experience in this are would be very helpful! Thanks!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #270
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Outlaw 37MD and both Newmar Canyon Star toy haulers have areas that are designed as a bedroom. The 37LS and it's almost duplicate previous version, the 3611 do not have the bedroom. That is the big difference to most people.

If anyone is looking for max sleeping spaces, the 37MD (with optional over-cab bunk and garage bench/bunks) offers bed space for 12! The Canyon Star's and the LS offers bed space for 10 (with both having all the optional drop down beds/bunks. These are numbers with no one sleeping on the floor.

MHSRV offers discount pricing, and yes there is still some wiggle room. The trick is catching the Outlaw you like and making an offer they can't refuse. These RV's are made and optioned according to dealer orders vs. customer selection on one of 5 plants operated by TMC, and they are flying out the door due to the recovery of the RV market.

Newmar has a totally different business model, making 15-20 RV's each week total, of all their models, on one assembly line. They will build a RV to buyer specs. MHSRV does not currently carry new Newmars, and the way the mfgt works could be part of that.

Thor will build a RV with a particular options and colors. The buyer would pre-order through a dealer. But, Newmar will actually move walls (if they can) according to owners request...of course, this typically would not be part of a heavy discount buying situation.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #271

So if after the discounted (advertised price) is $115, how much wiggle room would you think there would be? $1K, $5K, as much as $10K?

My wife and I are right at that $100K mark. We live in CA and will still have to find the $9K in sales tax....whoo-hooo! Looking for every nickel at this point but also dont want to be insulting. If we can't get a new one that low, we will probably have to wait a year until a 2014 comes up used....
Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #272

Damon Owners Club
I'll send you an IM with my thoughts.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapi View Post
Thank you! So if after the discounted (advertised price) is $115, how much wiggle room would you think there would be? $1K, $5K, as much as $10K?

My wife and I are right at that $100K mark. We live in CA and will still have to find the $9K in sales tax....whoo-hooo! Looking for every nickel at this point but also dont want to be insulting. If we can't get a new one that low, we will probably have to wait a year until a 2014 comes up used....
One thing to take into consideration is traveling to Texas to purchase from them and then the cost of gas to drive yourself back in your new RV. When my husband and I were looking last August we found the MHSRV was not the best deal once we added in those costs.

We ended up buying from a dealer in California instead. The cost to get there and drive back was cheaper was significantly less which means the over all costs were less. We also took into consideration that we wanted to buy from a reputable dealer that was well known for service and was one that we could easily get to if needed.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:31 PM   #274

Here's the one for today: what is the MPG most of you are getting, particularly in an Outlaw. As always, THANK YOU!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #275

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Here's the one for today: what is the MPG most of you are getting, particularly in an Outlaw. As always, THANK YOU!
My diesel average is high 8 to mid 9 mpg.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:02 PM   #276
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Average over more than 15,000miles has been 7.25MPG.

Workhorse W24 8.1L Allison 2100, 6 Speed w/ a 3500lb tow.

It goes as low as 5 - 6 in traffic or mountains of the Pacific NorthWest and as high as 10 on the rare flat open highways of Central CA and in West Texas.

Your mileage will probably vary based on speed driven, terrain, and load...in that order.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #277

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We also have a W24 and have the same results as Steve.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
We also have a W24 and have the same results as Steve.
Ok...shhhhh. Don't tell DW. She thinks they get about 10 and is budgeting as such...10 MPG is the number and I'm sticking to it
Old 06-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #279

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Ok...shhhhh. Don't tell DW. She thinks they get about 10 and is budgeting as such...10 MPG is the number and I'm sticking to it
Here is the funny thing, I almost always get better mileage then my wife does (both in the motorhome and in our cars).
Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #280

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
My biggest fear in life it that if I die first my will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!

Tags
class a, hurricane, rexhall