Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #295

Yes Bross, I bet you won't be missing that trailer at all. The class A toyhauler is much easier for setting up for a trip, driving, parking and reversing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #296
CBQ

It all depends what you are looking for in a floor plan I think. The Outlaw bedroom on the first level is more like an ancillary bedroom and still has a master in the loft. If you need an additional private room beyond the garage it could be quite useful.

I know someone that had the Outlaw, and just switched to the Canyon Star 3920. They say the Newmar feels a lot more solid on the road. Yes, I know it's the same chassis, but they are the rare breed that owned both and that's what they say. That's subjective of course, but they are happy with the switch.
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Great information above - Thanks!!! Congrats and best luck with the Canyon Star!!

The point about the slide gear (Schwintec Slide Gear ) is true for many new RV's. New Outlaw's have these new drives - but only since late 2013 models. Before that, the slide gear was a very heavy rack and pinion set from Lippert (easy to get parts if needed).

But, the point about the walls has me confused. Please see the mfgt video labled "Sidewalls and Roof" here: Award Winning Quality Control | Newmar
Newmar stuffs the erect wall with pink insulation then bonds the exterior wall to the frame with industrial adhesive. There is no foam on the outside of the frame.

In contrast, TMC vacuum bonds all walls and roofing units with solid foam cores before installation on the frame. See: 2015 Outlaw Class A Toy Haulers: Class C Motorhomes by Thor Motor Coach

The results are a similar R value, and neither have an exterior foam layer.

Thanks again to Bross! Please share all about that beautiful new coach.
I think what they're talking about is this...

5/8” Foam Insulation Laminated in Sidewalls and Ceiling

from their construction features page

Canyon Star Standard & Optional Features | Newmar

It looks like you can see it clearly at the 55 second mark of the video you linked to. Anyway, pick it up in 6 days.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:28 AM   #298

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I met a guy at a CG with a Bounty Hunter and after looking inside, I couldn't help but wonder who stole the floor plan and who came up with it. They are nearly identical in every way except to the roof line. I did like the big windows in the loft of the BH.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #299
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
3612 in garage Murphy Bed

I ran across a rare 3612 (Outlaw 3611 with a factor original Murphy Bed) on-line and borrowed some pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3612 Bedroom made up.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	65294

Name:	3612 Bedroom made up 3.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	65295

Name:	3612 bed up.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	65296

Name:	3612 Bedroom Ext.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	65297

I don't know why a Murphy Bed is not STILL a factory option for both the Outlaw and CanyonStar...just seems like it is an awesome option!! And we recently saw a homemade murphy bed in an RV...so I know there is a demand.

This one is an even more rare Front Engine Diesel ('09, Cummins I6/Allison 6 Spd/Freightliner Chassis!) w/ Scorpion package. See the ad here:
#C1599 - 2009 Damon Outlaw 3612 Toy Hauler W/Slide for sale in Alvarado TX

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #300
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fair and Balanced

In the interest of balance, here's a couple of pics from a new Canyon Star 3921 to show how big the interior is with that new full wall slide!! It's huge in there!!!

Name:	3921 1.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	65301

Name:	3921 2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	65302

I much prefer the light color interior and wood colors...really makes it seem clean and open. But, that's a personal choice, these RV's are available in dark cherry too.

I hope this inspires some Canyon Star owners to post about their beautiful coaches.

This one can be found here: 2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3921, Class A - Gas RV For Sale in Grand Rapids, Michigan | Midway RV Center 14-CANYONSTAR-3921 | RVT.com - 81865

I have no association with either of the sellers (above).

Safe travels

(WooHoo - Post #300!!)
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #301

The layout in the Canyon Star 3921 is so much nicer than the 3920 IMHO. Yes the full wall slide makes it huge, but the layout change (especially moving the door mid body) makes it flow really well.

Here is 3920:

Here is 3921:
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #302

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I ran across a rare 3612 (Outlaw 3611 with a factor original Murphy Bed) on-line and borrowed some pics:

Attachment 65294

Attachment 65295

Attachment 65296

Attachment 65297

I don't know why a Murphy Bed is not STILL a factory option for both the Outlaw and CanyonStar...just seems like it is an awesome option!! And we recently saw a homemade murphy bed in an RV...so I know there is a demand.

This one is an even more rare Front Engine Diesel ('09, Cummins I6/Allison 6 Spd/Freightliner Chassis!) w/ Scorpion package. See the ad here:
#C1599 - 2009 Damon Outlaw 3612 Toy Hauler W/Slide for sale in Alvarado TX

Safe travels
Picture 36 tells the whole story on this one. What a great looking coach!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #303
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Picture 36 tells the whole story on this one. What a great looking coach!
Huh?

Name:	showimagerv.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	65361
Picture 36...looks like somebody's butt and maybe a panier(?) caught on cctv

My personal favorite is the Harbor Freight (all Chinese steel) motorcycle chock

Name:	showimagerv-1.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	65362
Just like the one I have
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-14-2014, 04:21 AM   #304

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
That sure looks like Dan in that photo!
Old 06-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #305

Quote:
In the interest of balance, here's a couple of pics from a new Canyon Star 3921 to show how big the interior is with that new full wall slide!! It's huge in there!!!

I much prefer the light color interior and wood colors...really makes it seem clean and open. But, that's a personal choice, these RV's are available in dark cherry too.

I hope this inspires some Canyon Star owners to post about their beautiful coaches.]

I have no association with either of the sellers (above).

Safe travels

(WooHoo - Post #300!!)
Pick it up on Tuesday! Yes Ill post some pics. On the 3921 and it's big slide, having the appliances on the slide makes me a little nervous, more weight plus all the electrical and gas lines are moving every time you use your slide. Maybe it'll never be an issue but we're happy with the layout of our 3920. I've never seen a 3921 in the flesh, they may only be coming as.a 2015 model.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #306

Georgetown GTX?

When really looking at the budgets, we are thinking maybe going used and having more for the toys would be better, or at least it is on the table for consideration. We saw a 2009 Georgetown GTX 3600 with 19K miles. I tried searching the forum for info, but it is all in this thread and limited at that. So, what is the good or bad about this brand/model? They are certainly not as popular or I should say plentiful, but that doesn't mean they suck, or do they?
Old 06-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #307

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapi View Post
When really looking at the budgets, we are thinking maybe going used and having more for the toys would be better, ....
What dollar range are you looking at?
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #308
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shapi,

The Georgetown GTX 3600 was made by Forest River RV's, who is still in business. The GTX was a very nice Toy Hauler by all accounts. See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...ml#post1548279

Forest River was riding the wave with everyone else when the economy tanked in '08, so a '09 GTX could have been assembled in '08 just as the bottom fell out of the market. Forest River made changes and faired the fiscal storm to stay in business...but they have not returned to the motorized Toy Hauler market.

The GTX has a weak point - sleeping space for the adults. There is no loft and no bedroom. The sofa, dinette, and dual drop down bunks in the garage were the options...unsat for many owners.

I have only seen GTX's on the Workhorse chassis, so that is good for having a massive V8 and Allison trans, but bad since that chassis is no longer made/sold. But still supported in the aftermarket.

One uncontested perk in the GTX is the 11' garage...only the Outlaw 3808 and Bounty Hunter beat that (12' garages).

Best luck!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV