Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 01:11 AM   #309

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I looked at a Georgetown toy hauler. Two problems for me: no way I could put up and down the ramp (I'm 4'10"), and there's no door out of the garage. I also didn't like the one four downhill on the ramp, which is common in several I've seen, but not in what I bought (the Canyon Star 3920).

On the upside, I found two in Northern California and they were a lot less expensive than the Newmar!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #310

Q's on Georgetown GTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
What dollar range are you looking at?
There are 2 righty now near me. One at $59 (needs tires and batteries) and one at $65 (looks clean, but price is still too high on asking). NADA says high/average value is $65 and low is $52...funny how the low is exactly 80% of the high number. What I am having trouble figuring out is real market value, i.e. if they were to trade it in, what would the dealer give them, and what would the dealer charge me. I am figuring my offer would be in the middle somewhere. Any thoughts on RMV? NADA hasn't really been much help in figuring this out.

Thanks Scarab and Java for your thoughts. I wish we could buy new, but it doesn't look likely. So like with anything used, often time a few more compromises have to be made on the "want list"

Stay tuned!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #311
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shapi,

Sorry to tell you - but the price for a Toy Hauler is going to be higher in CA compared to other places...and worst in SoCal. That's just supply and demand.

We went to TX to buy ours, used because of a price difference of almost $20,000. WARNING - We still had to give the CA DMV the sales tax because we were stupid and did not get the first 1 year registration in TX (could have used the in-laws address).

The exact same year and similar condition Outlaw was here in San Diego. We talked them down, but they would not/could not match the price in TX.

I would only buy locally for a new RV...that way, the selling dealer is on-the-hook for PDI/Punch list and warrantee repairs.

We used "searchtempest" dot com to search all of Craigslist to find our deal. Then we had someone there check out the RV. We made a deal by phone, flew-in with a cashiers check, and drove home. Except for a few very hot days in West TX, it was a wonderful trip.

Having said all that, it is noteworthy that the Mrs. and I are experienced RV'ers (camped for years with a pop-top and TT in the past), so we knew what to expect...like the first stop after the dealer is to Wal*Mart to visit the RV section for basic RV essentials.

Best luck

(Edit) I just searched Craigslist and only found 2 GTX 3600's within 1500 miles of my location. In contrast, there are 2 Outlaw's in SoCal alone. As the first and most popular Class A Toy Hauler, there have been MANY MORE PRODUCED so prices are going to be more competitive. And you get the loft!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #312
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javadawgs View Post
I looked at a Georgetown toy hauler. Two problems for me: no way I could put up and down the ramp (I'm 4'10"), and there's no door out of the garage. I also didn't like the one four downhill on the ramp, which is common in several I've seen, but not in what I bought (the Canyon Star 3920).

On the upside, I found two in Northern California and they were a lot less expensive than the Newmar!
About the issues mentioned above:

If the ramp is difficult to operate, then the lift system is in need of adjustment. All these ramps are on a lift system...like, I can lift and close the one on my Outlaw with 1 hand.

The rear (garage) door is a nice-to-have, but we do not have one and do not miss it (early Outlaws and all Hurricane's and GTX's do not have the ext. garage door).

We enter/exit the garage from the interior door and/or the ramp. The Newmar almost requires an exterior door, because the interior garage OPENS IN to the garage and can be blocked by a large toy up in the front of the garage.

And lastly...ramp angle. The 2 ramps are pretty similar. Opinions?:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canyon_Star_3920_Exterior_ramp.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	65525

Click image for larger version

Name:	GTX Ramp.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	65526
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Sorry to tell you - but the price for a Toy Hauler is going to be higher in CA compared to other places...and worst in SoCal. That's just supply and demand.
Ok, some confirmation on what I had been seeing. I have been looking for a preowned RV for my dad and used prices in CA, WA, OR and ID seemed to be significantly higher than the rest of the country.

Quote:
I would only buy locally for a new RV...that way, the selling dealer is on-the-hook for PDI/Punch list and warrantee repairs.
That is one of the reasons we bought from a CA dealer. We also pitted three dealers against each other and got the CA dealer to meet the price the TX dealer was offering us.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #314

Quote:
The rear (garage) door is a nice-to-have, but we do not have one and do not miss it (early Outlaws and all Hurricane's and GTX's do not have the ext. garage door).

We enter/exit the garage from the interior door and/or the ramp. The Newmar almost requires an exterior door, because the interior garage OPENS IN to the garage and can be blocked by a large toy up in the front of the garage.

And lastly...ramp angle. The 2 ramps are pretty similar. Opinions?:
I think I would miss my garage door if I didn't have it. But then if I never had one I wouldn't know what I am missing.

And as far as the ramps, the one on the GTX looks shorter and/or to have a bit of a steeper angle. I would worry about bottoming out what ever I drove in there. But then our "toys" are kayaks and fishing gear so no worries there.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #315

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Huh?

Attachment 65361
Picture 36...looks like somebody's butt and maybe a panier(?) caught on cctv

My personal favorite is the Harbor Freight (all Chinese steel) motorcycle chock
Attachment 65362
Just like the one I have
That is yours truly, putting things in order after the "great picture shoot" at MHSRV. BUT had u known I was going to show up on video I would have dressed better.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #316

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I knew it!
Old 06-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #317

Took delivery on Tuesday.

Help

our salesman was joking with us that most people say their motorhome has more tvs than their house, completely true for us and they're better tvs than we have at home. :deal If we would have ordered one we would have skipped two of the tvs but they came with it and we got a better price on this well optioned unit than we would have ordering one with less stuff.

We were going to ride out to AB 800km (500 miles) on our motorcycles to pickup the rv but checking the weather decided we better drive. Good thing cause it rained the whole way with temps averaging 5-8C (41-46F), the dog came with us and would been on the back of my bike but probably would have run away at the first rest stop. Also worked out because we had the dealer install the tow plate and tow bar for our Edge along with the chocks for the bikes.

We wanted to camp one night on the way home so came through Banff and Radium and stayed at Fairmont Hot Springs. Probably not the best route to have come in the RV as we basically left AB, the prairies and headed straight west through the Rockies to within 3 hours of the coast. :eek1 Lots of passes and lots of 8-11% grades.

Gotta say I love this chassis and engine/tranny combo. It did fine through all the passes even pulling our 4200lb Edge. Yes it's a revver and it does get loud if you kick it down and are turning 4000+ but is great up to 3000rpm. It was only a few of the steepest climbs and descents that I was running at 4000+ rpm. The tranny in tow haul mode works unbelievably well with really good shift points and it was almost eery how I would just crest a rise and think I should probably downshift when it would automatically. The only nit would be that it tends to hold onto the lower gear a little longer than I would if shifting manually but I'm looking for something to complain about here.

Full disclosure here, my wife did think it was really loud when pulling up the steep climbs etc. but she IS sensitive to sound and wears earplugs *EVERY* time she rides and used to wear her Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones in our older Winnebago. We forgot to grab her headphones when we left. I also tried to explain to her that what we just drove was not a normal trip for us.

Everything worked with no issues, until the second morning when I tried to retract the slides and nothing. Thought I must have blown a fuse or tripped a breaker or something but checked everything over and couldn't find anything wrong. All I had done that morning was hook up the Edge. I didn't see how the toad could cause the slides to not work but figured WTH. Unplugged the Edge and the slides worked. I called the dealer to see if they would know why and they explained what was happening. I had them make sure they installed a charging wire for the Edge as that's a known issue for them to run the battery down as you need to leave it in accessory mode when towing. That charge line is run right to the coach battery so when the Edge is in accessory mode, the coach thinks the ignition is on and you can't run the slides with the ignition on. Pretty simple, just run the slides in or out with the car unplugged or even just turned off. I've read/heard horror stories of peoples first nights in their new trailers or rvs, but ours was uneventful. Everything just worked.

Looking forward to loading the bikes and hitting the road. Will post some picks of the garage with the bikes loaded once I get a chance to load them.

Ruby's favorite spot
Old 06-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #318

Congrats! That is a fine looking coach and Ruby looks very comfy on her new couch.

How to you like the Edge for a toad? My parents have been looking at getting one to use as their toad.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
Congrats! That is a fine looking coach and Ruby looks very comfy on her new couch.

How to you like the Edge for a toad? My parents have been looking at getting one to use as their toad.
Never ever towed a toad before so I can't really compare to anything but it just worked. Didn't even know it was back there unless I glanced at the rear view camera. We also pulled into a tight rest area and I didn't think we would be able to turn around but the CS has a fairly tight turning radius, at least as tight as you can turn 39' feet of behemoth around. I had Jodie watch the Edge but there was lots of clearance even with the motorhome at full lock so that was a relief after my bike trailer and our Winnebago which would jack knife way before I ever got to full lock.

Hookup and disconnect are very easy, takes all of two minutes either way. The Edge tranny is designed to be towed 4 down and the only requirement is to start and run through the gears each morning and at every fuel stop. The Edge isn't the lightest thing to tow but we already owned it and it was towable so figured no point looking for a smaller lighter tow vehicle.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #320
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CONGRATS TO BROSS!! And safe travels.

Thanks for the photos...hope more are to come.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #321

Congrats Bross. Awesome photo with the mountain background, I'm guessing thats around Banff? Is there carpet in the CS, or is that just a rug?

Looks like you better invest in a label maker for all those remotes!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
Congrats Bross. Awesome photo with the mountain background, I'm guessing thats around Banff? Is there carpet in the CS, or is that just a rug?

Looks like you better invest in a label maker for all those remotes!
It's tile throughout, into the bedroom as well, the only carpet is the strip on the slide and over the console. I'll try to get some inside pics. Not our exact interior but here's the floor...

Tags
class a, hurricane, rexhall