Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
That Allstar rig is very interesting. I wish they would bring back something similar.

So the diesel engine is accessed thru the floor in front of the fridge? Is that where you would check and fill the oil and trans. fluid? Surely there is another access area!?

Is the garage 12 ft deep? And it looks like the garage drop down door ramp is flat like the OTL, not angled like the C. Star? I like that.
Until you need to do anything to the motor, like check/change the oil, anti freeze. Everything is a nightmare and good luck finding anyone willing to work on one if you ever did need repair work done.

I'll keep my front engine gasser, thanks. Maintenance is the same as on my SUV or truck, even easier because of the room under there and since I installed a quikvalve I don't even need tools. I carry my oil drain pan, empty the used oil back into the quarts I just used and drop it off at a Napa for recycling.

As for the ramp on the Canyon Star, I have no trouble getting our street bikes loaded and unloaded. A Triumph Street Triple which is easy, and my Moto Guzzi Griso which is a long low bike but has lots of clearance and no issues.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #380

Nice looking rig, Bross. My issues with the C-Star ramp door are not that it wouldn't function well for its primary purpose of loading and unloading toys. My issue is its lack of flatness, making it unusable as a party deck. That deck is one of my favorite features of my OTL (Thanks Don).

Old 08-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #381

I have owned the bountyhunter for two years now and love it. But good luck finding one it took me four years to find a used one of these rigs. Any questions you may have hit me up
Old 08-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #382
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
drd6315,

Hope you share all about your Bounty Hunter!

As reported in post #3 of this thread, I wanted a Bounty Hunter while shopping.
I really like the overall look and the fact that is had a 12'-16' garage (reported on the Gulf Stream website).
But could only find 1 used and the owner wanted almost MSRP when it was new.
Oh well.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #383

I'm confused! I thought the garage area in the Outlaw could be used as a bedroom. In fact, I was planning to put an adjustable bed in the back. The only other things I plan for the garage is my dog's wagon and sulky.
I planned to use the loft for my knitting yarn stash so I wasn't concerned about headroom so much. I could just as well use the couch air bed as my bed, but prefer an adjustable bed.
I test drove the 37ls and loved it! It's just going to be me and my dog. His toys (the sulky and wagon) will easily fit with room for a small table/chairs for my bedroom there. Will I have problems with that arrangement?
Old 08-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #384
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Why the confusion? The garage of any Toy Hauler can be used as a bedroom.

The new Outlaw's even come with an (optional) convertable bench/bunks that make into a bed the entire width of the garage which is 96" and over 6' deep!

We put down a carpet and trundle beds for when we have vistors along, 'cuz we don't have the optional garage bunk. Works very well.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-18-2014, 03:00 AM   #385

Hi joyreturns
I wouldn't think there would be an issue. You have your eye on the same model I do. If you got the dual couches in the garage you could make a bed in the back or add your own bed.And it has a 3rd a/c there to keep you cool. I am not sure about heat vents back there but I am sure you could use a space heater. I think it would work fine for you and I wish you luck.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #386

That's what I thought, but it seemed people were saying one isn't to use the garage for a bedroom. Very relieved to know my original plan would work. I already have a faux fireplace heater for the area. Thank you both for your replies!
Next question: what are the odds I could have a residential reefer installed to replace the one that comes standard?

Is it possible to go through the manufacturer for an RV? I need fewer TV's, no bunks in the garage, and prefer a residential fridge which would likely mean having an inverter installed to handle it.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #387
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Newmar (Canyon Star 3920/21) is set-up to accept buyer mods to the floorplans. This would start with a dealer visit to set-up the plan and find out what is possible (specifically for the 'fridge and inverter/battery pack).

TMC (Thor) is much more like the automobile mfgt companies in North America...you buy the basic car with or without the options. A dealer will order the Outlaw you want, but not offer extensive mods. There are currently only 3 options (front and garage bunks and automotive style "flush glass" windows). See:
http://outlawrv.com/class-a/features.php

The big point here is buyers can expect less mark down from MSRP with a custom order.

The option of course, is owner mods. But that is totally different and would not have a factory warranty, but you design and spec the Mod.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #388

My new 2015LS had a sign in the garage that said to not to sleep in the area. At the same time, there are two benches that pull out to make a big bed. Based on the conflict, I removed the signs and now people can sleep in the garage.

Although mine is going to be used for toys mostly and sleepover occasionally.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:26 AM   #389

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
My new 2015LS had a sign in the garage that said to not to sleep in the area. At the same time, there are two benches that pull out to make a big bed. Based on the conflict, I removed the signs and now people can sleep in the garage.

Although mine is going to be used for toys mostly and sleepover occasionally.
Those signs, IMHO, are designed so that people don't try to nap back there during travel. It would be easy for exhaust fumes to funnel thru the garage during that scenario. But as long as you're stopped, with good ventilation, you shouldn't have any issues. I mean wth, they wouldn't knowing put bunks back there without the signage, but a little common sense is sometimes the right answer. Right?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyreturns View Post
That's what I thought, but it seemed people were saying one isn't to use the garage for a bedroom. Very relieved to know my original plan would work. I already have a faux fireplace heater for the area. Thank you both for your replies!
Next question: what are the odds I could have a residential reefer installed to replace the one that comes standard?

Is it possible to go through the manufacturer for an RV? I need fewer TV's, no bunks in the garage, and prefer a residential fridge which would likely mean having an inverter installed to handle it.
We started down that road with our Canyon Star as all the ones we saw had too many TVs and we too did not want bunks in the garage etc. We were working on ordering a basic unit new from Newmar minus all the extras and just with what WE wanted, until we found a new 2014 for quite a bit less than we could have ordered our BASIC 2015. Sure we have more TVs in our motorhome than we have at home but my wife has figured out the 2 bunks in the garage will make great storage for her "finds" as we garage sale and antique shop our way around the country. We may not use all the extras but they will increase the value of our motorhome come resale time as it's essentially a "loaded" rig. Good luck on your search.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #391

I'm going to the Hershey, PA RV Show next month. It will be fun to see both models of the Outlaw up close and personal to compare side by side. I will be able to see the pros and cons of both models. It will be hard not to plunk down the money there and then, but I have a few months before I'm good to get on the road.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #392

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
We started down that road with our Canyon Star as all the ones we saw had too many TVs and we too did not want bunks in the garage etc. We were working on ordering a basic unit new from Newmar minus all the extras and just with what WE wanted, until we found a new 2014 for quite a bit less than we could have ordered our BASIC 2015. Sure we have more TVs in our motorhome than we have at home but my wife has figured out the 2 bunks in the garage will make great storage for her "finds" as we garage sale and antique shop our way around the country. We may not use all the extras but they will increase the value of our motorhome come resale time as it's essentially a "loaded" rig. Good luck on your search.
If/when you have guests, they may enjoy the extras. I will occasionally have guests, basically to take them on a trip or two.

Tags
class a, hurricane, rexhall