Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #393

I wouldn't allow anyone to hang out in the garage during travel just as a common sense approach to safety, but I suppose they have to take into account those people devoid of common sense.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #394

Class "A" Toyhaulers

Thor doesn't do factory direct sales so you would need to go through a dealer. My understanding from a lot of thread reviews is they are not quite as flexible with out of standard specs requests as Newmar may be. Their Canyon star class A gas rv has 2 toyhauler floorplans so you may want to look at those if you haven't already . The thor outlaw has a 1000 watt inverter standard, and a dealer or camping world may be able to add a slightly larger residential fridge . Not sure if you could order one without one and maybe get a credit??? Could probably order one without rear couches too but your dealer or a quick e mail or call to thor would know for sure.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #395
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bross made a good point about equipment. For resale, having that stuff is best.

I believe the garage labels have more to do with liability than real safety. I would hope that no one would sleep in the garage with fuel containers and fumes. But I could be mistaken.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 AM   #396

I found a 2007 Damon Outlaw 3611 that I am interested in, what should I be looking @ during inspection? This is my first RV to buy (usually rent) & I am not a mechanic ( I will have one look 2 it if I decide the first look is worth it).
EVERYBODY has an opinion but I would like some real life input, good or bad, honesty is appreciated but please stick to what YOU have experienced not what you heard.
Thank You
Old 08-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #397
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Again,

The '07 is THE BEST Outlaw ever made...
I am kidding, of course...see my signature line

But seriously, although '07 was the first year for the Outlaw, it was not a brand new RV design because everything from the garage wall forward is Damon Daybreak. The Daybreak was a very good selling model for years before Damon took the model to the drawing board, added the loft and garage, and made the Outlaw.

There are no real "must catch" issues in this model year. It was available in 2 GVWR chassis; a 22,000LB Ford F53 and 24,000LB Workhorse W24. The W24 has a NADA value of about $3000 over the Ford. The Outlaw never came on the W22, so there was never an issue with the AutoBrake. The perk with the Ford is a softer ride but at the cost of weight capacity (OCCC).

For buying used, the trick is to CHECK EVERYTHING FOR FUNCTIONALITY. If anything is not working, it should be fixed or the price "should" be dropped.

But, buyers should be aware that:
-They all had a manual awning,
-All had a 2 piece windshield.
- Phone jacks are EVERYWHERE. Someone here surmised that Damon must have thought cellphones were just a fad.
-Early '07's will have TV's that are not DTV capable, needing a DTV converter boxes to get broadcast TV.
-There was never a side garage door.
-The ramp was not equipped with cables to make it into a deck...a Mod done many times.
-The radio for the garage and exterior speakers is inside an entertainment panel on the outside wall of the coach vs. on the inside of the garage.
-The exterior TV is just one of the inside TV's moved to hang on a mount on the inside of one of the campfire side bin doors.
-And finally, the exterior decals are now about 7 years old and are, or will soon be peeling and cupping on the edges.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-20-2014, 02:06 AM   #398

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What chassis - Ford or Workhorse,
Milage?
What price is he asking?
Does RV have Extended Warrantee and is it transferable?
Was it stored undercover or in the open, - Impacts on condition of decals, roof, and roof covers?
Birthdate of Tires? Do all tires match? Condition of tread and sidewalls.
Date of all batteries?
Was 5 year/50K mile service performed? Drain refill& replace filter on AT, Drain & Replace brake fluid, drain and replace coolant?
Generator work?
Does awning and slide cover material need replacing? Brittle or torn?
Do All appliances work?
Condition of upholstry and interior?
Do all gauges and dash electronics work?
Condition of garage and rear deck?
Any visible water damage or mildue in interior
Condition of mufflers - rust? or replaced?

Any body damage?
Condition of rubber roof and covers.
Any evidence or water leak/roof skin repairs.
Any evidence of water leaks/damage around windows?

Any added accessories? i.e. Front & rear Anti sway bars, rear traction bar, steering damper i.e. Safe T Plus, Solar system, inverter, SS mufflers, roof satellite, Extra coach batteries, etc.

Any modifications inside or out?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #399

Unhappy Bummer

I went to see the vehicle today & found it has a salvage title!
He is still asking for $50,000 (not going to happen), He is in the repair business & I have inspected the vehicle. The damage was caused by the vehicle was parked next to a "tree" (who knows for sure) that caught fire & scortched the outside/roof. I am VERY suspect of this guy's "quality" & I think I will walk away for two reasons: can't finance it & even though the repairs were cosmetic in nature I am not too sure of this guys quality & he did not take pictures along the way so that makes me suspicious.
I would love the opportunity to score it cheap. The interior is CLEAN practically brand new.
Oh well, have to keep looking.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #400

Smart to pass FatboyM, and nice work finding that info out. There is a better one out there and you will find it, good luck
Old 08-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #401

Workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Again,

The '07 is THE BEST Outlaw ever made...
I am kidding, of course...see my signature line

But seriously, although '07 was the first year for the Outlaw, it was not a brand new RV design because everything from the garage wall forward is Damon Daybreak. The Daybreak was a very good selling model for years before Damon took the model to the drawing board, added the loft and garage, and made the Outlaw.

There are no real "must catch" issues in this model year. It was available in 2 GVWR chassis; a 22,000LB Ford F53 and 24,000LB Workhorse W24. The W24 has a NADA value of about $3000 over the Ford. The Outlaw never came on the W22, so there was never an issue with the AutoBrake. The perk with the Ford is a softer ride but at the cost of weight capacity (OCCC).

For buying used, the trick is to CHECK EVERYTHING FOR FUNCTIONALITY. If anything is not working, it should be fixed or the price "should" be dropped.

But, buyers should be aware that:
-They all had a manual awning,
-All had a 2 piece windshield.
- Phone jacks are EVERYWHERE. Someone here surmised that Damon must have thought cellphones were just a fad.
-Early '07's will have TV's that are not DTV capable, needing a DTV converter boxes to get broadcast TV.
-There was never a side garage door.
-The ramp was not equipped with cables to make it into a deck...a Mod done many times.
-The radio for the garage and exterior speakers is inside an entertainment panel on the outside wall of the coach vs. on the inside of the garage.
-The exterior TV is just one of the inside TV's moved to hang on a mount on the inside of one of the campfire side bin doors.
-And finally, the exterior decals are now about 7 years old and are, or will soon be peeling and cupping on the edges.

Best luck
Thank You for the pointers. I have heard the workhorse is a problem & very difficult to find parts if needed?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #402
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatboyM View Post
Thank You for the pointers. I have heard the workhorse is a problem & very difficult to find parts if needed?
Whoever said "very difficult" was inaccurate. The pieces and parts are all from vendors like Allison Transmission to Meritor Axles.

Even the 8.1L engine is still supported by GM, even though it is no longer in any on the road vehicles. But it is still used in equipment and marine applications plus it is in thousands of late model Chevy and GM light and medium duty trucks from the Silverado and the Avalanche to the Topkick/Kodiak.

As far as routine service, that is very easy DIY stuff with filters and fluids found in any parts store and even Walmart.

I personally prefer the GM V8 (8.1L - 496cu.in.) over the Ford V10 (6.8L - 414cu.in.) for the differences in how they make their very similar power ratings...the V10 must rev-up to over 4000RPM to reach peak power, but the V8 can run at a lower RPM to reach peak power. This reduces strain on the engine and transmission, AND the noise.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-21-2014, 02:06 AM   #403

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I love my Workhorse chassis...
Old 08-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #404

There is no substitute for displacement. In the brief time I've been able to drive mine, the V10 definitely whines a bit. It's designed to do this so it doesn't bother me much. But it's still whining.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #405

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
There is no substitute for displacement. In the brief time I've been able to drive mine, the V10 definitely whines a bit. It's designed to do this so it doesn't bother me much. But it's still whining.
I had a significant other like that once. Displacement finally drowned out the whine. But I don't miss either one.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #406

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Plus 1 on Workhorse. Mine has been fantastic.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, hurricane, rexhall