Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #449

Garage set up for dirt bikes

Hi all. As we continue outfitting our 2007 Outlaw, I had a few questions about how others have their garage set up, particularly for transporting dirt bikes. If you have any pics, ideas, or feedback please chime in:

1. Gas. How do you store the fuel jugs while transporting bikes? I would love to use the fuel station, but I use 87 in the RV and 91 in the bikes so I need to have the ability to carry up to 4 jugs. I want to have a set up that can hold at least 2 so I can have the flexibility to move them around based on how many bikes, bags, etc I am stuffing back there. I was thinking about having an aluminum strap system fabricated that can tie into wall mounted e-track system. Again for flexibility of location.

2. What do you use to secure things against the wall? If you use e-track, what length screws did you use? If you don't use e-track, what do you use?

3. Any other suggestions, tips, trick things you've done?

Any pics would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Josh
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 02:43 AM   #450

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do your bikes require 91? Our dirt bikes are fine with regular (KTM and Yamaha). We do bring a couple of RotoPax fuel cans to put on the bikes for longer days out in the back country. We generally haul two in the far rear passenger storage box and they don't move around much at all. Our street bikes require mid grade so we only use the coach gas if one of the bikes is really low on fuel, just putting enough in to ride to a gas station.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #451

Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapi View Post
Hi all. As we continue outfitting our 2007 Outlaw, I had a few questions about how others have their garage set up, particularly for transporting dirt bikes. If you have any pics, ideas, or feedback please chime in:

1. Gas. How do you store the fuel jugs while transporting bikes? I would love to use the fuel station, but I use 87 in the RV and 91 in the bikes so I need to have the ability to carry up to 4 jugs. I want to have a set up that can hold at least 2 so I can have the flexibility to move them around based on how many bikes, bags, etc I am stuffing back there. I was thinking about having an aluminum strap system fabricated that can tie into wall mounted e-track system. Again for flexibility of location.

2. What do you use to secure things against the wall? If you use e-track, what length screws did you use? If you don't use e-track, what do you use?

3. Any other suggestions, tips, trick things you've done?

Any pics would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Josh
i'm not quite sure with the outlaw but my bounty Hunter has the gas station as well but it has a separate tank so I would put 87 in the main tank motor and 91 in the in the other tank.
drd6315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #452

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to "upgrade" to a Canyon Star. Just kidding. The Canyon Star has an auxillary tank that you can fill with premium and a fueling station. Do I understand it right that the Outlaw just draws from your coach tank?

In our trailer (not used anymore), I just had a tray made out of a couple 1x8s that kept our gas cans from sliding around. I'm looking at the same thing as you, not for gas but just adding coat hooks etc for our gear.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #453

Hey focker-I was always told to put 91 in the bikes and just always have. Right now we have a 400 XC-W and 65 sx. I have read on KTMtalk that anything lower than 91 causes issues long term and just poor performance. But when you say you keep 2in the back passenger compartment, where are you talking about? Inside the passenger area?

We looked at the Canyon Star but it was a bit too rich for us and the configuration with the bed in the garage wasn't ideal for us. Although a separate tank would certainly solve my problem. I wonder if something can be installed/fabricated?

Bross-do you know what screws to use for the e-track to be installed on the walls?
Old 09-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #454

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the heads up on the KTM, based on this chart from KTM it does look like I should be using 91 so I will probably move up to mid grade to keep the motor happy when it is handy (I just hate wasting money when I don't have to on premium fuel): http://www.ktm.com/uploads/tx_downlo...02-2012_EN.pdf

The storage box/bin I use is the very last one on the passenger side under the garage. We put two or three Rotopax 1.75 gallon in that area with no issues:
Old 09-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #455
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Bounty Hunter and Canyon Star have a separate fuel tank for the fueling station.
The gas powered Outlaw fuel station draw from the main tank...and shares the draw with the generator (runs dry at about 1/4 tank, to avoid stranding the RV from too much fun

I do not know what the Outlaw FRED has...Dan, Vi or, Dry will know.

I am currently addressing this with a mod to add a separate tank near the fueling station, starting with a replacement drivers-side rear most bin door that came OEM with a fuel fill (courtesy of Mike B. In a swap we made). I intend to add about 30gal to the total capacity and it will be plumbed to the main tank as an Aux...stay tuned

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:59 AM   #456

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The Bounty Hunter and Canyon Star have a separate fuel tank for the fueling station.
The gas powered Outlaw fuel station draw from the main tank...and shares the draw with the generator (runs dry at about 1/4 tank, to avoid stranding the RV from too much fun :rolf

I am currently addressing this with a mod to add a separate tank near the fueling station, starting with a replacement drivers-side rear most bin door that came OEM with a fuel fill (courtesy of Mike B. In a swap we made). I intend to add about 30gal to the total capacity and it will be plumbed to the main tank as an Aux...stay tuned

Safe travels
Damon / Thor had a simple solution to the fuel station on the FRED's - they left it out. That last bay in the drivers side is nothing but a blank panel.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #457

Quote:
The gas powered Outlaw fuel station draw from the main tank...and shares the draw with the generator (runs dry at about 1/4 tank, to avoid stranding the RV from too much fun :rolf

Safe travels
I would love to add a tank. There are a few open storage bays, but, I am not sure what that would do to the balance of the coach while driving.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #458

Quote:

Safe travels
I think this is a great idea and should not be too difficult. I haven't looked specifically for this purpose, but there appears to be lots of empty space at the back of the chassis. Just change the feed line from the main tank to the new tank. There are places you can get custom made auxiliary fuel tanks made.

This will place additional weight on the rear axle, so that will have to be kept in mind also.

Can't wait to see the results!
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #459

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
I think this is a great idea and should not be too difficult. I haven't looked specifically for this purpose, but there appears to be lots of empty space at the back of the chassis. Just change the feed line from the main tank to the new tank. There are places you can get custom made auxiliary fuel tanks made.

This will place additional weight on the rear axle, so that will have to be kept in mind also.

Can't wait to see the results!
I like that idea and now that Shapi has pointed out I need premium fuel in my KTM it would make the fuel station extra useful. Who is gonna be the first guinea pig to do this mod?
Old 09-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #460

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
I like that idea and now that Shapi has pointed out I need premium fuel in my KTM it would make the fuel station extra useful. Who is gonna be the first guinea pig to do this mod?
Why. You of course. Who did you expect? The DW will love it, right?

Old 09-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #461

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
Why. You of course. Who did you expect? The DW will love it, right?

Way to call me out!
DW really wants a BMW 1000RR, that is what she would REALLY love!
Old 09-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #462

I am thinking the two bays that Focker uses could be outfitted and and "Y" connector to each to maintain equal levels may work without upsetting the balance. I am guessing you could get a 10 gallon tank in each cubby?