Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 12:56 AM   #547

Thank you so much for your comments! On the bed issue, I did extend the rear loft wall back slightly, and inset the headboard cushions into a dual "hatch" that opens into the garage area. Also notice that I inset the loft TV area at the expense of some of the overhead clearance in the bathroom. This allowed for storage behind the TV in the loft as well. Without those mods, the loft bed direction wouldn't work so well. I have a ton of other layout ideas for the loft I haven't rendered yet. Most are profoundly impractical, but fun to draw. How about a pop-up loft? Doable, but can't inhabit the area unless the pop-up is raised... aka "FrankenHauler!" On the wax, I use a special automotive virtual wax known as VRAY! I actually had to tone it down abit. I used virtual photographic lighting effects as well as texture tricks to get that depth. I really like how that came out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 01:04 AM   #548

Hey, thanks! I was going to draw the couch and render a few pics later. If you're interested in any combination you want to see in any of this "project", let me know. The kitchen slide allows for a larger "feel" in the living area. This is an issue with me with lots of existing RV designs. Question: Is kitchen gear on a small slide problematic with all models? Thor specific? Just curious.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:16 AM   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

And WOW!

That's just amazing....looks to be part Outlaw 37LS, part Outlaw 38RE and part Challenger 37LX.

Thanks Druid!
Thank you so much for your response! Glad you enjoyed them. You're right, there's a bunch of ideas from other Thor models in there. I have to admit, if TMC actually built something like this, I'd wait a little longer if I could get one. But I'm sure it would be out of my price range. (My house won't sell for 7 figures) Speaking of cost prohibitive features, take a look at this: The Route | Wrightspeed
Yeah, I know. Dream on.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #550

Outlaw photo remodel

Druid Priest
LOVE the fireplace and TV combo and location !
I WANT THIS !!!!!
Enough people are remodelling their units to add this, geesh why not
just put it in from factory !

AND imagine having the TV in a functional place where you are not getting a kink in your neck and with functional comfortable seating and a heating source that would be steady and effective where you need it and enjoyable to look at. Brilliant.

Bathroom…wow how much wasted wall space (and storage options) is above the wall the toilet is on… your option of a window is nice for natural lighting, but I wouldn't mind some more cabinetry or shelving there and you also gave us more counter space and undermount lighting wow!!
So elegant.

The only little criticism I could come up with ... I want a breeze through my unit when I open the windows and I find that the newer ones you chose to put on yours, doesn't provide that (small thing) if I have seen that correctly (?)

Now if you only could get rid of that horrid dark backsplash in the kitchen and add a lighter colour tile backsplash with that glass gel tile accent…and a nice counter top

I have a question… how come you and Thor, put the living space on the opposite side of the unit to where our outside living space and set up would be ?
I go to dog shows and I would love for my living room area to overlook where I have them outside and be able to keep an eye on my "stuff" … instead of overlooking the neighbours… and inadvertently eaves dropping on them..
and getting their cig smoke…

Maybe you will get into business with a company that can do the remodelling that you can suggest !!
Cause I will be coming !

Thanks so much for sharing some great ideas !
Old 08-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #551

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomoxy View Post
Druid Priest
LOVE the fireplace and TV combo and location !
I WANT THIS !!!!!
Enough people are remodelling their units to add this, geesh why not
just put it in from factory !

AND imagine having the TV in a functional place where you are not getting a kink in your neck and with functional comfortable seating and a heating source that would be steady and effective where you need it and enjoyable to look at. Brilliant.

Bathroom…wow how much wasted wall space (and storage options) is above the wall the toilet is on… your option of a window is nice for natural lighting, but I wouldn't mind some more cabinetry or shelving there and you also gave us more counter space and undermount lighting wow!!
So elegant.

The only little criticism I could come up with ... I want a breeze through my unit when I open the windows and I find that the newer ones you chose to put on yours, doesn't provide that (small thing) if I have seen that correctly (?)

Now if you only could get rid of that horrid dark backsplash in the kitchen and add a lighter colour tile backsplash with that glass gel tile accent…and a nice counter top

I have a question… how come you and Thor, put the living space on the opposite side of the unit to where our outside living space and set up would be ?
I go to dog shows and I would love for my living room area to overlook where I have them outside and be able to keep an eye on my "stuff" … instead of overlooking the neighbours… and inadvertently eaves dropping on them..
and getting their cig smoke…

Maybe you will get into business with a company that can do the remodelling that you can suggest !!
Cause I will be coming !

Thanks so much for sharing some great ideas !
Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you liked some of it. You did bring up some good issues as well. The bathroom layout was an obvious compromise. I like the "illusion" of space even when there isn't any. Many RV bathrooms with a ton of cabinetry have left their marks on my forehead. I'm not a small person. I have a version of the layout where the toilet is in the traditional narrow corner area, the sink is in your face with tiny cabinetry, and since I can't utilize much of the shared TV/Fireplace wall, kiss my bathroom window goodbye for the medicine cabinet/mirror. I had to remove walls in order to render it properly. So I left the initial version in there for better or worse. But you do bring up a good point about wasted space. Honestly, it was easier to draw that way as well. If anything like this layout was actually considered, I'd like a bigger shower. Again, more sacrifices for that would be in order.

On the breeze issue, that's a luxury rarely afforded in my neck of the woods without (as you mentioned) cigar smoke, campfire/BBQ smoke, music until 3am... etc. I like the sound of the surf or nature too, but I've always had to "share" that with screaming babies, barking dogs, dirtbikes, atv's.. yadda yadda.. Sorry, getting off-topic.

On the backsplash.. I was wondering if anyone was going to comment on that. Was the first texture I picked. Didn't really care, just wanted something a different texture and color than the wood. The exercise was to just put something there to start with that was somewhat realistic. What would you like to see? Maybe I have the texture/material.

On the last issue, another good point. With this particular layout, my thoughts were to try to make as much living space possible from the garage forward. It would be easy to mirror the layout but with 1 issue. The front entrance door. If the door were to remain on the traditional side, I'd lose some contiguous living space. I'm quite aware that the layout could be improved. I'd really like to hear more ideas. And on your last comment, the possibility of working with any RV oriented business would suit me just fine. But 30 years of working on concrete factory floors has taken its toll on me. But a fun job that's also my hobby... wow. Yeah... sign me up.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #552
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Prototype Class A Toy Hauler

WHAT? "...30 year on a concrete factory floor..."
I pictured a 20-something doing this project. Now, I'm really impressed

My feedback...
The passenger slide is cool to look at, but in practice it is not needed. It is a failure point for the slide itself, it will consume bin space for the drive (unless using Schwintek slide-drive ), flexible plumbing on a slide will fail (sooner or later), and slides on the passenger side eat-up valuable space in a tight campground. The great majority of RV's have a fixed passenger side galley. It works and seems to be preferred by the public.

The front/rear aspect loft bunk IS AWESOME. And, this could be a retro-fit to any Outlaw by removing some or all of the overhead cabinets. I am going to seriously consider this. We currently have a CalKing mattress in our loft. It fills almost the entire space, so some extra space there would be nice. Downside is the loss of valuable storage.
Click image for larger version

Name:	37lx_loft_from_stairs_2-1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	104243

The drivers side living/dining set-up is the way the vast majority of RV's are set-up. We prefer it, because that is on a (driver's side) slide, it allows an unbroken wall for couch/dinette, and if/when our dogs are outside, we are outside too - no need for a passenger side seating area.
As a side bar... in campgrounds, we rarely open the day (privacy) screens on the passenger side (except for the slide side windows) because of neighbors. Would not want to keep galley windows shut, like if on the driver's side due to campground neighbors.

The combo washer/dryer under the loft stair is a subtle but significant feature...using mostly lost space vs. a special closet for it...just genius.

And my FAVORITE change in Charles rendering... LOVE how the loft stair ends into the salon when the slide is open. With the slide closed, it is just like the current models...but what a fantastic improvement. Easy entry/exit - keep an eye on kids up there - nice to look at (but you might want to make-up the bed more often )
Click image for larger version

Name:	37lx_living_area_looking_towards_garage-new.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	104242
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:37 PM   #553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
WHAT? "...30 year on a concrete factory floor..."
I pictured a 20-something doing this project. Now, I'm really impressed

My feedback...
The passenger slide is cool to look at, but in practice it is not needed. It is a failure point for the slide itself, it will consume bin space for the drive (unless using Schwintek slide-drive ), flexible plumbing on a slide will fail (sooner or later), and slides on the passenger side eat-up valuable space in a tight campground. The great majority of RV's have a fixed passenger side galley. It works and seems to be preferred by the public.

The front/rear aspect loft bunk IS AWESOME. And, this could be a retro-fit to any Outlaw by removing some or all of the overhead cabinets. I am going to seriously consider this. We currently have a CalKing mattress in our loft. It fills almost the entire space, so some extra space there would be nice. Downside is the loss of valuable storage.
Attachment 104243

The drivers side living/dining set-up is the way the vast majority of RV's are set-up. We prefer it, because that is on a (driver's side) slide, it allows an unbroken wall for couch/dinette, and if/when our dogs are outside, we are outside too.
As a side bar... in campgrounds, we rarely open the day (privacy) screens on the passenger side (except for the slide side windows) because of neighbors. Would not want to keep galley windows shut, like if on the driver's side due to campground neighbors.

The combo washer/dryer under the loft stair is a subtle but significant feature...using mostly lost space vs. a special closet for it...just genius.

And my FAVORITE change in Charles rendering... LOVE how the loft stair ends into the salon when the slide is open. With the slide closed, it is just like the current models...but what a fantastic improvement. Easy entry/exit - keep an eye on kids up there - nice to look at (but you might want to make-up the bed more often )
Attachment 104242
Yep. I did start my "career" early tho. 5 years before that I did automotive stuff. Light machine work, interior restoration, heavy electrical resto and customization. Installed and repaired car stereo stuff... etc... College years had limited time to wrench for a few racers at Famoso before diving full-time into computers and software. I don't miss the grease and dirt, but I did have a lot of fun then.

Some things about your comment on the "Galley" slide: The idea was to make as much living (floor) space as possible. At any cost/risk of failure. Your points concerning practicality are valid. From my perspective, too many actual floorplans in coaches anywhere near my price-range remind me of "rabbit-warrens". This was an idea to address that issue.

Glad you liked the loft layout. You might need to push out the back loft wall to make it all fit, but not much. Please take pictures if you actually do this! I'd love to see how this would be done in reality.

On the washer/dryer and stairs: Notice how I had to slightly increase the stairs width and narrow the garage door frame (and door). Question, has someone actually attempted this as a modification on an appropriate model? Probably too costly a mod and a lot of work. Another feature I didn't draw was that instead of a washer/dryer, someone might want a nice heavy-duty tool chest/drawers mounted in there.

On the last one: Funny you mention looking up into the loft. I have a version where there are no cabinets to the left of the loft TV, and the small rounded wall with the Thor symbol on it wasn't there. Tons of visibility from the loft and up into the loft. Might prevent claustrophobia issues?

Thanks again for your comments! MUCH appreciated.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #554

Ok, D. Priest, so you did make the loft longer, I like that. There is too much headroom in the stock bathroom, so that's good to take advantage of that space. And yes, I always thought an electric pop-up roof over the loft that gives you just a little more headroom (12" to 24") would be a neat idea.

I see a potential problem with how all of the water outlets are on the passenger side. I don't know a lot about rv plumbing, but wouldn't that make the location of the waste storage tanks and drains on the driver side a problem with gravity and etc?
Old 08-23-2015, 11:15 PM   #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
Ok, D. Priest, so you did make the loft longer, I like that. There is too much headroom in the stock bathroom, so that's good to take advantage of that space. And yes, I always thought an electric pop-up roof over the loft that gives you just a little more headroom (12" to 24") would be a neat idea.

I see a potential problem with how all of the water outlets are on the passenger side. I don't know a lot about rv plumbing, but wouldn't that make the location of the waste storage tanks and drains on the driver side a problem with gravity and etc?
Wouldn't it be nice if an actual RV Engineer could answer those questions? I have no idea. I've seen other floorplans where everything is on one side. 2016 Bounder by Fleetwood RV
The 35K as it all on one side. I don't know. Like I said in the comments, I'm sure I broke all the rules. Had fun doing it too.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:10 AM   #556

Outlaw suggestions

Druid Priest,

It is funny how everyone's "wants" are not all the same

I like the stairs either way, but I like the loft private, because I plan on using my unit to travel with others that may not wish to go to bed as early.

I do agree a lot of wasted bathroom space with it having
that massive high ceiling.

Great to see some mods…

BTW…does anyone ever really use the outside TV ?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #557

I'm mixed on the private loft. It would be nice to have something solid there to keep it more private (and quieter) but I worry it would get too stuffy. Maybe a sliding wall instead of a curtain would work?

I've used the outside TV exactly once - during the Eagles/Cowboys game last Thanksgiving while we were boondocking with our friends and didn't want to be anti-social. I'd like to use it more, but the occasion just hasn't popped up.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #558

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
I'm mixed on the private loft. It would be nice to have something solid there to keep it more private (and quieter) but I worry it would get too stuffy. Maybe a sliding wall instead of a curtain would work?

I've used the outside TV exactly once - during the Eagles/Cowboys game last Thanksgiving while we were boondocking with our friends and didn't want to be anti-social. I'd like to use it more, but the occasion just hasn't popped up.
I'm a huge fan of the cooler weather. Stuffiness in any form is unacceptable. Many warmer-climate folks like that "warm and cozy" thing. So a stock 37LS or 37RB loft doesn't have enough vents, fans and the like? Too noisy?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:45 PM   #559

I am glad I found this thread...it's been a while since I have been on IRV2. After 13 years of ownership of our 33' Citation TT, we are "toying" with the idea of a toy hauler so we can have a room dedicated to dogs and crates especially since my daughters are in the dog show scene now.
I am looking at the Outlaw 37RB because it seems to be the only one out there with enough room for a family (we have 4 daughters), so the idea of the QB slide + loft+ OH loft in cab + other sleeping arrangements work well for us.
I am looking forward to seeing them at the Hershey Show in a few weeks.
There is a question I have for anyone who has one; how is the privacy for adults "sleeping" in the QB slide? It seems like between the loft, sliding glass door that you would always be "the center of attention" and never have any "alone" time.
Any owners care to comment?
Old 08-29-2015, 02:19 AM   #560

I love my Thor | Damon Outlaw!

Welcome Merkur. If you want privacy, the loft is the best place in the rig. No traffic or people passing thru. Check out the above link to get your questions better answered by actual OTL owners.

Tags
class a, hurricane, rexhall