Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #603
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dean4bama,

CONGRATS and Best Luck.

If you would like, come post on the Outlaw Owner's list here:
List of Outlaw Owners

And, hope you do a very complete pre-delivery inspection to catch any flaws or problems. The RV makers (all of them) are making RV's at a very rapid rate to meet current demand and this can cause problems that dealers will not correct until demanded by the buyer. I would check every thing from the engine and transmission with a test drive to the plumbing and electrical...run and operate EVERYTHING and document anything you find.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #604

Monaco Owners Club
We actually started looking for a toy hauler two rv's ago, but at the time they were too 'utilitarian' in lieu of things I would have liked and the DW demanded

Now that we have the bath and a half, tow the jeep, etc....
hard to look back at them now, but still love the concept !

Old 06-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Dean4bama,

CONGRATS and Best Luck.

If you would like, come post on the Outlaw Owner's list here:
List of Outlaw Owners

And, hope you do a very complete pre-delivery inspection to catch any flaws or problems. The RV makers (all of them) are making RV's at a very rapid rate to meet current demand and this can cause problems that dealers will not correct until demanded by the buyer. I would check every thing from the engine and transmission with a test drive to the plumbing and electrical...run and operate EVERYTHING and document anything you find.

Safe travels
Thanks,
Took delivery on the 9th from the dealer and took it to a campground just a few miles from the house fora few nights. Even after going over it with my PDI list we still found some things wrong with it. The good thing is that the very next day our Salesman @ RV Connections in PCB, FL Don Hasty called to see if we had any problems and of course told him to that point what I found. He asked me to make a list and call back to set an appt. to get them taken care of and that is where Josey (RV Name) went last Wed. I have been VERY pleased with this Dealer Experience and Don Hasty, I even had to get him a Card and a gift Card for Bass Pro Shop for all his help and concern. Great guy!

Things we found,
1)Chassis Dash AC would not turn to full Dash Vent Air, stayed half Dash and half Floor.
2) Rear Dump Tank Valve extended about 1/2 inch too far out to line up good with underside dump tank hose access hole.
3) Could not locate the Exterior Cable Connection.

I concentrated so much on making sure nothing leaked, all electrical and appliance systems worked.

Overall not a big thing and they have indicated that the RV should be ready by end of the week.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #606
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smart ForTwo

Finally took time to snap photos of our Smart in the rear of our Outlaw.
It fits so easily and is a breeze to/unload...that's my Mom (in her 70's) unloading:
Old 07-31-2016, 06:29 PM   #607
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After the car is out, we roll-out a carpet and the finished garage becomes a spare room, with attached patio...the fabric seen around the garage opening is an X-Tend-A-Room (clams shell screen room)
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-5.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	134619

Name:	FullSizeRender-10.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	134620

Name:	FullSizeRender-9.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	134621

Name:	FullSizeRender-13.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	134622

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #608

Looks great Steve, now please share your Smart transit restraint technique with us in your favorite thread:

OUTLAW Mods and Easy Fixes
Old 08-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #609
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DOH...took no pictures of the straps...

We take either the Smart -or- a normal Toad, not both. So we just use the dolly's "wheel basket" straps over 2 tires (1 front, 1 rear) and go down to the E-Track.
See the dolly's tire straps here on the normal Toad:

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	134690

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #610

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dood...you need some graphics.

I painted mine on...

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #611
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Dood...you need some graphics.

I painted mine on...
I know...right?

BTW, your DIY looks great

The decals are gone and the Ol' Outlaw looks 100% better, but it is a REAL "Casa Blanca" now.

We just can't get motivated for new loops and swirls
See original pattern in the left signature pic.

Want something different...that IS NOT a decal or wrap

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #612
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Newmar 3923

New for 2017 is the Newmar 3923.

This looks a little like the '16 Model 3922 with Shed in back.

But there's big differences...bath, dinette, kitchen...Don't know what else is changed...

Name:	CA_3923.png
Views:	401
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	136974

Canyon Star floor plan options | Newmar

Here's the 3922:

Name:	143343031716123.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	136976

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #613

Call me old school but I've never liked having appliances on a slide, seems like a lot of weight and having the electrical and or water lines moving every time you move the slide just seems like you're asking for trouble. Maybe it really doesn't matter from a weight perspective, those full length slides must be bloody heavy to start with.

Kinda glad we got our TH when we did, we're down to one option in the market now. Kind of a weird market for motorhomes, seems like they have always had a toy hauler option, only sell a model for a year or two, discontinue, then come back in a few years, and repeat.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #614

Great thread.

We have a 2004 Damon Intruder F350 F53 chassis, V10 with Banks power pack complete headers, chip etc... Live in Colorado and pull a 17' ATV Trailer with 3 atv's and dual purpose bike-less than 5000#. 31,000 miles no problems in the mountains other than high revving motor sound but has not let us down yet.

Been looking and new Super C's to pull the same or a 22' pontoon boat (on wish list).

Here is my question, on the Thor Outlaw 2016/2017 newer models and/or the Newmar 3921 garage also 2016/2017 models is the V-10 enough motor for hauling my current trailer or say ATV and Bike in back and the Pontoon behind. Anyone have experience with this in mountain like Colorado and more specifically on a boat out back say 5000-6000# how does the unit pull and what about the boat ramp experience for turning around, backing down and most important being able to pull a boat out of the water and up some of the steeper boat ramps.

what are the factory mounted hitch ratings on these units as I see some now come with 750/8000# ratings vs. the more standard 500/5000# ratings.

My older V10 with Banks does pretty well when moving and climbing but I wonder about a heavy RV with newer V-10 (more horse/torque) pulling from a dead stop up a boat ramp.

thank you, Gary
Old 10-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #615

Hello Gary

I live in the Salt Lake area and have a 2008 3808 outlaw. I have installed a banks kit and like the results I got. I have had my CJ-5 in the back its fixed up with 350 chev small block. And pulled my boat 26' it around 5,700- 6K. One important thing I did was add air bags for the load. I have pulled quite a few mountain passes and it runs with the loaded semi. The boat ramp as for power coming out has never been the issue. The problem is finding a boat ramp big enough to do it. I try very hard not to use the steep ramps as its a pain loading the boat. But its never powered out on me. Hope this helps

Bill
Old 10-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #616

Bill,

thank you for the reply.

On the jeep, you said in the back but did you mean out back ie... pulling behind the RV.

If you got it actually in the back I would be interested to know the dimensions etc... of the CJ 5 and your toy hauler and a photo would be cool. If a CJ5 could fit in back I'd love to find one to fix up.

We have 5 jeeps in the family and I might set my 14 Rubicon Unlimited up to pull behind vs. all the atv's but still enjoy atving. Kids usually show up in their jeeps when we go.

I have been thinking about what vehicle might actually fit in the back that could take a pontoon down to a lake boat ramp (not highway type driving just short trip like campsite to boat ramp). ie... drop pontoon off hitch, back out samurai and hook up to pontoon. Again, not heading out on major roads with this given the set up not likely the best.

Was actually checking specs on a old Suzuki Samuri and they are 135" long, 60.6" wide and 64.6" tall. 4x4 with Low range for powering up ramp and 2,059 lbs weight.

Newmar 2017 is 10" deep so that would not be a option. Have to re-think that game plan.

I have also put airbags on my 04 F53 Damon and that settles it down a little with the sway but not 100%

Tags
class a, hurricane, rexhall