Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #785

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaprhys View Post
Yup! Enjoying the ride all around.

But unlike buying a new R1200GSA, this is a used coach, which means lots of minor repairs, modifications, and upgrades.
In my case I would have to say just like our RV did, my new GSA is looking at lots of upgrades.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #786

I have a Newmar 3920 toy hauler and my repair shop is suggesting I put a Safety Plus bar on the front which will tighten up the drive but more importantly will in the event of a front tire blow out keep the RV going straight

Also has anyone used rear suspension kits to make the ride better?? If so what kind and did it work?
Rdmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdmundo View Post
I have a Newmar 3920 toy hauler and my repair shop is suggesting I put a Safety Plus bar on the front which will tighten up the drive but more importantly will in the event of a front tire blow out keep the RV going straight

Also has anyone used rear suspension kits to make the ride better?? If so what kind and did it work?
Never had a blowout with our 3920 and always felt it handled pretty well, but that was coming from a narrow chassis Chevy P32. Michelin has your answer though...
How to handle a blowout
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #788

Well, I was going to post a question on Class A Toy Haulers and then I see this Sticky Forum, Very Cool.
I am thinking if I ever get another MH, it might just be a TH. Looks to be pretty versatile.
One question. Is it easy to get up to max rear axel weight?
I see after looking around in here, not done yet, that Thor and Newmar are the popular manufacturers, and, it looks like they are all GAS, so far anyway.
I am going to look around a bit and read your posts.
Thanks for being here.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #789

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Well, I was going to post a question on Class A Toy Haulers and then I see this Sticky Forum, Very Cool.
I am thinking if I ever get another MH, it might just be a TH. Looks to be pretty versatile.
One question. Is it easy to get up to max rear axel weight?
I see after looking around in here, not done yet, that Thor and Newmar are the popular manufacturers, and, it looks like they are all GAS, so far anyway.
I am going to look around a bit and read your posts.
Thanks for being here.
Thor and Newmar aren't popular, they are the ONLY manufacturers. We had a 1500lb cargo limit for the garage and we carried our two street bikes; a Moto Guzzi Griso (550lbs) and a Triumph Street Triple (420lbs), so no where near the limit.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:10 AM   #790

We had a Newmar Canyon Star Toy Hauler and loved it, except the gas part. Our Three Wheeler fit fine in the garage part, with plenty of room to store things around it.
WulfHaslett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #791

Toyhaulers and MPG

We are new to MHing and currently have a B+ with Ford power (Coach House). 6-8 MPG. Looking at a 3927 or used 3921 Newmar, but as I have seen here and other places, gas is the only option. Can someone give us a range of MPG we could expect, one HD dresser in garage and CRV or similar TOAD.

Thanks!
runner6608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #792
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Newmar Canyon Star Toy Hauler is and reportedly has always/only been available on the Ford F53 chassis at 26,000GVWR. That is a 3 valve Ford 6.8L V10 and Ford truck automatic. 5 Speed was standard. 6 Speed became standard after mid-2016. The 6 speed saw a drop in engine HP due to ECU programming, but is well worth seeking.

So...Owner's report MPG as high as 7.5 average and low as 5.5 average in a tank.

The biggest issue with mileage is the weight of the driver's right foot.
Mountains, winds, and high speed will greatly impact this number. Overall weight does not impact the mileage as much as many would think.

The Outlaw has a similar lineage after 2010. But before 2010, there was a Freightliner Front Engine Diesel chassis (5.9 and 6.7L Cummins 6 cylinder/Allison) in 27,000lb GVWR and a Workhorse gas (8.1L GM V8/Allison 6speed) in 24,000 GVWR. These chassis provide slightly better MPG, because there is more power on-tap (as long as the driver doesn't use it all the time).

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #793

That's quite low mileage for the Canyon Star. We always had our two street bikes in the garage: Moto Guzzi Griso (550lbs) and Triumph Street Triple (450lbs), towing our Ford Edge. I think the lowest I ever saw was 7-8mpg, and that was a good head wind in the Columbia gorge. I would average over the 2-3 months we were south 8-10mpg and when not towing the Edge would see 12mpg.

I do not doddle around, do not like to hold up traffic, so was never scared to step on it, would easily keep up to diesel pushers climbing passes, but always drove around 60-62mph, 55-58mph in CA. We spent all our time in the west criss crossing mountain ranges so you could see better mileage out east I'm sure.

It's a big square box on wheels, mileage should not even figure into any equation when choosing a class A. It just doesn't matter. Wife's Mom has a 42' diesel pusher Country Coach and I got better mileage than them consistently. They would be lucky to see 8mpg. Choose a layout that works for you with a power train you're comfortable with and forget about the mileage. None of us put that many miles on our motorhomes, even for us driving from Canada down south every winter for 1 or 2 or even 8-10mpg to make any real difference. If mileage is that important to you, you need to drive a Prius and stay in hotels. Just my 2c.

The *only* reason I know my mileage is because it gives me something to do while driving, I like to do the math in my head and figure it out, otherwise I couldn't tell you what we're get for mileage.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #794
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
That's quite low mileage for the Canyon Star....when not towing the Edge would see 12mpg.
(sic).
Wait...what?!
12 MPG with a Newmar Class A pushing the GVWR on a Ford F53 (garage is rated for 1,500lb max)?
Is that an average over a trip, or just a segment?

Either way, all I can say is that is UNBELIEVABLE!!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:23 AM   #795

Note that he says he does 60-62mph, so he's probably in the perfect spot on the powerband to maximize efficiency. I know I'm getting about 7mph or so in my diesel Bounty Hunter at 65mph.

The real test for me will be on our upcoming Moab trip. We'll have two motorcycles (R1200GSA and an F700GS) in the garage plus my Xterra as a toad. MI to UT, through the Rockies.
ronaprhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #796

Thanks for all of the replies on my ? of MPG on the Newmar 3921/3927's. MPG is not really an issue for us or really most anyone RVing, but was curious in comparison to our current B+.

Thanks again, we are enjoying all of the different forums and the great answers to all questions that people have.
runner6608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Wait...what?!
12 MPG with a Newmar Class A pushing the GVWR on a Ford F53 (garage is rated for 1,500lb max)?
Is that an average over a trip, or just a segment?

Either way, all I can say is that is UNBELIEVABLE!!
As I mentioned that was unloaded, and our speed limit here in the valley is 80km/h (50mph), but also saw 12mpg several times in CA, again where we typically drove 55mph. Speed in the big square box is what will kill mileage.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #798

I have gone 20,000 miles in my 2016 3921 from east coast to west & back and up and down the east from Ct to Florida. I'm loaded to the 26,000 lbs limit and tow a Honda CRV.
I avg 6.5 mpg. Lowest I've seen was 5.5, highest 7.5
slojo is offline   Reply With Quote