Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #813
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieJohn View Post
Can you provide a link to or a copy of that Tiffin study?

John in Maryland
It was published on a product overview flyer that they were giving out at a RV show, which I did not keep.

Have not seen that factoid on-line, but never searched because it is intuitive to me. Had a black pick-up. Traded for a white pick-up. The interior temp difference is obvious.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #814

Just found this Thread, so happy

I am in the process of finding a Toy Hauler Motorhome.... Once you have had a toy hauler there is not going back Currently have a 5ver Torque and yes I love it, but am thinking I would like to down size... which appears to be any of the Motorhomes since I am over 55 feet long now.

They are hard to find for sure, some advice would be great from you all that already have them.

I am looking at 1999-2008 Fun Mover, Outlaws and a few others

The Fun Mover with the lift gate/roll up door is seams that these have water issues, does anybody have experience with this?

Outlaws are class A and C? is 1 better then the other

Diesel vs V10 vs 8
DAgua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #815
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, ToyHauler motorhomes are rare compared to the conventional COW (condo on wheels) but they are readily available new from Newmar and Thor Motor Coach, and used from all the makers here listed here.

To find a used one just requires research. All of the forsale websites are used by individuals and dealers, including craigslist.2006- 2007 is the start year for your search of Class A's.

The Diesel/Gas decision is yours to make...both are available. The engine is upfront like a commercial truck due to the garage, except the German belly-lifter on the first few pages here. The Bounty Hunter and Outlaw came in Diesel and come up for sale every so often. But they have a premium price. Gas models are much more plentiful and are so easy to use...basically just a very big pick-up truck for use and maint.

The new(ish) Class C Outlaws (there have been 3 floorplans) are really great for price and usability. So if you can live within approx. 30' including the multi-purpose room of the garage, they are plentiful new and used.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-30-2019, 07:11 PM   #816

Thank you..

I have been hunting high and low for a Cummins Fun Mover for months I have a line on 1 in Colorado 03 for $47k
Little high on price.

What do you guys think
DAgua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:29 PM   #817
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The FourWinds Funmover was usually a Class C (E450 chassis) or Super C (GM Kodiak/Sidekick or F650)...but there was a Class A (not offered in Diesel that I know of) like in post #3

If looking at a Super C (w/Cummins ISB or small CAT) the price is driven by condition.

After this many years, a cream-puff will be rare. So easily worth the mid $40's. Plus, except for the one-year only Outlaw 35SG (Ford F550 PowerStroke) there has been no Super C ToyHauler made over the last 9-10 years (except custom$ from brand$ like Renegade... $$$).

Personally...Two points (from owning a Class C):
*Class C's and Super C's are fine...but the cockpit is a BIG difference-
-You lose the front of the living room when camping in a C. The cab does not mix into the living room like the front of a Class A.
-And the loss of the HUGE Windshield of a Class A makes the driving experience in a Class C pale in comparison.
*The Diesel/Gas argument is moot when driving our Workhorse chassis (GM 8.1L V8/Allison 6 speed). Outlaws with the Cummins ISB are reportedly a bit under-powered compared to the big gas mill. Plus, parts and service are easy and inexpensive from GM still using the engine in boats and industrial applications. The Ford V10 is still very easy for use/maint and least expense at purchase...but is really third place because of the need to go well over 4K RPM in hills and such.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #818
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bigger Engine Coming Soon

For those who haven't heard, the Ford F53 RV chassis will get a new engine starting with chassis built starting Winter2019:
https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...ipped-chassis/

The new engine is a 7.3L (445ish cu.in.) pushrod V8 coupled to a version of the 6speed automatic. Specific HP/Torque for this application is pending.

For literally years, the F53 has had a 6.8L (414 cu.in.) in a 3valve V10 configuration. 320HP/460ftlb torque and 5 speed until 2016.5 brought the 6speed.

Since Ford has a monopoly on Gas Class A chassis, this will impact all gas Class A's motorhomes built in North America (except the few smaller designs built on the stripped E450 [gets the 7.3L in 2021] or stripped Sprinter chassis) which, of course includes the beautiful Newmar Canyon Star Toy Hauler and awesome TMC Outlaw Toy Haulers.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #819

That is great news and will need a test drive of a new model when they come out. Our biggest beef with our Canyon Star was the engine noise because that motor was a revver. The new 7.3 should be a lot quieter, as the old saying goes, there’s no replacement for displacement.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #820
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
That is great news... (SIC)
...there’s no replacement for displacement.

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #821

That Newmar one did look sexy. Just under $200K when you start throwing options at it (and no, I didn't put the W/D combo in the garage - I need that space for things other than laundry).

Won't be buying one anytime soon, just figured I'd look.
ronaprhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #822
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaprhys View Post
Note that he says he does 60-62mph, so he's probably in the perfect spot on the powerband to maximize efficiency. I know I'm getting about 7mph or so in my diesel Bounty Hunter at 65mph.

The real test for me will be on our upcoming Moab trip. We'll have two motorcycles (R1200GSA and an F700GS) in the garage plus my Xterra as a toad. MI to UT, through the Rockies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaprhys View Post
That Newmar one did look sexy. Just under $200K when you start throwing options at it (and no, I didn't put the W/D combo in the garage - I need that space for things other than laundry).

Won't be buying one anytime soon, just figured I'd look.
Wait...what?!
You have a pre-DEF Front Engine Diesel Bounty Hunter and you're thinking about going to gas CanyonStar

Just want to be sure I read that right.
For just a portion of the price difference, you could have a professional remodel of the Bounty Hunter's interior and well...pre-DEF Diesel!!

Thanks for posting
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #823

You're not reading it right, don't worry. I priced it out just as an exercise in costs, mostly out of curiosity.

That aside, we've been dealing with all sorts of annoying issues with the Bounty Hunter - most of them age-related and due to lack of proper TLC by the previous owners. However, on the last trip nothing broke. I did find out that we need an auxillary fan on our fridge when it gets stupid hot out (defined as temps in the 90°F and up range, especially when humid) just to make sure the air moves over the cooling fins on the fridge. Also, I'm going to need to properly do the roof at the end of the season. Probably replacing three of the fan-vents, recaulking and sealing everything up there, and then putting on a new coating - thinking the Dicor RP-CRC1 Rubber Coating will be what goes on (along with their caulk and all).

I am having a problem with the slide, though. On the front corner some of the wood underlayment seems to have come off (due to the previous water damage that was left unfixed). This tore up a section of the flooring. Nothing structural, but it is problematic. I'll be posting something up in my build thread soon enough.

Past that, everything should work as expected.
ronaprhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:00 AM   #824

where can I find this awning part?

This broke couple nights ago. A weld might be possible but I thought I would see if anyone knew of a possible replacement. Its off an 07 dometic 8500. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190718_130518.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	253788   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190718_130450.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	253789  

ScottnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #825

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottnKat View Post
This broke couple nights ago. A weld might be possible but I thought I would see if anyone knew of a possible replacement. Its off an 07 dometic 8500. Thank you.
That is a simple and inexpensive replacement part:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MXJGV0..._-.DmDb3JYBYZG
Old 07-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #826
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottnKat View Post
We fixed that slider assembly the first week we owned our (gently used) Outlaw. This was long before we even knew about iRV2.

The "pot metal" used in the slider is crap...so don't bother repair. I believe it is designed that way - like a "fuse link" to prevent damage to other parts.

If you don't need the arm in Scott's link, you can buy just the slider...like:
Click image for larger version

Name:	71XK4ZixuhL._SX679_.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	253819
https://www.amazon.com/slider-assemb.../dp/B00GIZZGLO
We got ours at LaMesa RV...lots in-stock = a routine repair, IMHO.

It requires drilling out the old rivet and setting the new rivet...otherwise a VERY easy fix.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV