Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #1

Class A upgrade?

I will get straight to the point. My current class C I have owned for 5 years seems to be
not as well suited for our rv life style as well as it use to. 5k per year, jeep toad, and a feeling of being a little beat up after getting to a long destination not to mention pumping
unleaded fuel with a toad a PITA I'm looking towards a Class A. The quality of the 2003 motorhomes in my 50-60k range look amazing. Ok question time. Any brands to avoid. Pitfalls to look for in a 2001-2004 year model. Should I just tone it down a bit and get a higher quality class c.

Thanks for any and all feedback. No one will hurt my feelings. Honesty counts.
Olde Timey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #2

Hello & Welcome! If you feel beat up after driving and don't like gas fuel islands I assume you are looking at a DP? There are plenty of great units in the range you quoted. I like Monaco, Winnebago, Newmar, Fleetwood,
etc. OK three of the four I have owner and loved so certainly I'm a bit biased. Love the Foretravels also but you will have to go back in years for one of them.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I submit that any 2001-2004 Class A's condition will be much more a function of previous owner's TLC over the years than brand.

With a narrow price range, use NADA as a general guide and look at everything you like.
RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides

If considering a purchase loan...anything over 10 years of age gets difficult the finance.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

There are many DPs in the price range you are looking at. This link has a few, but gives you some idea of what you can expect.

http://www.greatvehicles.com/rvs/index.cgi?type=Class_A_Motorhomes&fueltype=Diesel& price_range=$50,001_to_$75,000

Good luck with your search.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not sure that a higher quality Class C would give you a better ride. They are mostly built on a Ford or Chevy chassis. I would think you could expand your Class A search to newer years for your price range. I wish I could sell my 06, 36 foot, triple slide gas Class A for 60K! You could look on the PPL RV site to check out price to year to size selections.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #6

Thanks again for all the replys and warm welcomes.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I submit that any 2001-2004 Class A's condition will be much more a function of previous owner's TLC over the years than brand.

With a narrow price range, use NADA as a general guide and look at everything you like.
RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides

If considering a purchase loan...anything over 10 years of age gets difficult the finance.

Best luck
Right on point especially about the TLC factor.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #8

Honesty? No offense? My kind of thread!

We are all different. We do our "RVing" very different, we have different budget (or maybe willingness to throw certain amount of money away), in order to enjoy the way we like to travel (not necessarily "camp" in my case).

So,.....after carefully questioning MYSELF what I want, how I travel, what I'm capable of doing, what kind of tools/facilities I have at my disposal, and how much money I want to throw away, I made a RIGHT decision (for ME,... with emphasize!).

I used to spend upwards of $500.- per night in decent hotels (definitely not "high class" hotels!), but.......I found out that I like to sleep in my own bed, and MOST hotel beds (bathrooms/showers) give me creeps. I also "discovered" that I HATE taking my shoes off at the airports, and watch my wife being groped! I don't fly anymore. If I can't get there in my coach, I don't go there (and that's from the guy that flew all over the world, and lived for long periods of time in six foreign countries).

I drive long distance, and I stop for only a night or two in the place of interest. I also like QUALITY, vintage, "unique" things, and individuality. Modern cars, RVs, and pretty much everything "modern" doesn't "ring my bell". I also don't want to finance ANYTHING (although I can whatever I would want to), and there is only so much disposable income I am willing to throw away ("play money").

Since I am WELL capable of "wrenching", have plenty of time to learn/research, and have facilities to do my own work, I decided to go with top of the line luxury DP. I am not afraid of "orphan" coaches, and I know where to get parts, and/or manufacture what I might be needing it the future.

I was willing to throw away no more than 50K.

I am now VERY happy with one owner, pristine condition 1995 Vogue Prima Vista, 40' long, with 350HP Caterpillar, producing 1350lb of torque, with airbrakes, airbags, and the engine retarder. I picked it up for way LESS than my preset amount (money I "saved", will cover five years or more of the upkeep). It has EVERYTHING I wanted, and some things I didn't even know they existed! I know it's old (so am I!), I know it will need parts in the future, and I am prepared to keep it in "as new" condition.

It drives like a luxury commercial bus, it has amenities of the Bellagio suite, it looks like NOTHING ELSE on the road today, and I LOVE it. It was garaged all its life (and it continues to be).

I understand this is not everyone's target, but it was the right RV for ME. You should carefully examine your wants/needs/habits, check your bank account, and go shopping for whatever works for YOU.

Making payments for 20 years (I don't have 20 years left!) is not MY game. This one doesn't even have payments, and was paid out of petty cash account.

Your mileage may vary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PrimaVista.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	120489  
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
Honesty? No offense? My kind of thread!

We are all different. We do our "RVing" very different, we have different budget (or maybe willingness to throw certain amount of money away), in order to enjoy the way we like to travel (not necessarily "camp" in my case).

So,.....after carefully questioning MYSELF what I want, how I travel, what I'm capable of doing, what kind of tools/facilities I have at my disposal, and how much money I want to throw away, I made a RIGHT decision (for ME,... with emphasize!).

I used to spend upwards of $500.- per night in decent hotels (definitely not "high class" hotels!), but.......I found out that I like to sleep in my own bed, and MOST hotel beds (bathrooms/showers) give me creeps. I also "discovered" that I HATE taking my shoes off at the airports, and watch my wife being groped! I don't fly anymore. If I can't get there in my coach, I don't go there (and that's from the guy that flew all over the world, and lived for long periods of time in six foreign countries).

I drive long distance, and I stop for only a night or two in the place of interest. I also like QUALITY, vintage, "unique" things, and individuality. Modern cars, RVs, and pretty much everything "modern" doesn't "ring my bell". I also don't want to finance ANYTHING (although I can whatever I would want to), and there is only so much disposable income I am willing to throw away ("play money").

Since I am WELL capable of "wrenching", have plenty of time to learn/research, and have facilities to do my own work, I decided to go with top of the line luxury DP. I am not afraid of "orphan" coaches, and I know where to get parts, and/or manufacture what I might be needing it the future.

I was willing to throw away no more than 50K.

I am now VERY happy with one owner, pristine condition 1995 Vogue Prima Vista, 40' long, with 350HP Caterpillar, producing 1350lb of torque, with airbrakes, airbags, and the engine retarder. I picked it up for way LESS than my preset amount (money I "saved", will cover five years or more of the upkeep). It has EVERYTHING I wanted, and some things I didn't even know they existed! I know it's old (so am I!), I know it will need parts in the future, and I am prepared to keep it in "as new" condition.

It drives like a luxury commercial bus, it has amenities of the Bellagio suite, it looks like NOTHING ELSE on the road today, and I LOVE it. It was garaged all its life (and it continues to be).

I understand this is not everyone's target, but it was the right RV for ME. You should carefully examine your wants/needs/habits, check your bank account, and go shopping for whatever works for YOU.

Making payments for 20 years (I don't have 20 years left!) is not MY game. This one doesn't even have payments, and was paid out of petty cash account.

Your mileage may vary.
That is a beautiful coach!

And my recommendation to the OP is to look at 2000-2002 range Monaco, Beaver, Safari and Holiday Rambler coaches. All very nice and high quality coaches.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #10

As stated I would be ,ore concerned about floor plan and how it was maintained vs a specific brand. I would bet most will be similar in quality, it's just a matter of how it was maintained.

Did it spend it entire life outside in sun, snow and ice with a yearly coat of wax, constant recaulking of the roof and all maintenance done to the "T"

Or did it sit inside a few months a year, however never was the roof looked at and zero service history.....

I think you will find as others stated a DP of just about any year will be a huge step forward in road manners. I would also say a gas class A especially if you get the latest gen of the workhorse chassis is also a big step forward, however filling it up with gas as stated is a PITA. That's the biggest reason I am looking to replace my gas A with a DP
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Moved from a C to A only driven the A about 200 mi love it.Thought the A would be harder to drive but it is not, better vision shorter turn radius. A little intimidating first time in driver seat, but don't take long to get used to it.More storage larger tanks. Both motor homes are Ford 30 ft.
hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
That is a beautiful coach!

And my recommendation to the OP is to look at 2000-2002 range Monaco, Beaver, Safari and Holiday Rambler coaches. All very nice and high quality coaches.
I looked at all of those. They were all on my list. Wife was seriously pushing for Safari. I wanted (demanded) side radiator (she will not have to work on the thing!), so no Safari (awesome coach otherwise!). Father in law owns Monaco, and once I discovered that not ALL wooden cabinets/panels are made of solid wood (press board! ), I backed off of Monaco. Some Monacos have side radiator, but not all of them. Beaver is awesome! Almost got one (loved the jetted tub!), unfortunately, the owner thought it was worth more than I was willing to pay (he is still trying to sell it after 3 months). HRs are nice also (side radiator too!), and I would jump on one, IF one was available at the time.

These are ALL good suggestions. Like I said......OP should think hard and long, make a list of "must have" features, list of "will do" features, throw in the equation asking price/available cash on hand,.......and make a decision!

Not THAT hard. The hardest part is finding the coach that was taken care off, with books and records, and in PRISTINE condition. They are out there, one just has to be patient, and when "all the stars are in right formation"........go for it!
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #13

Great posts. Very insightful. Thanks to everyone for the reply.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Timey View Post
I will get straight to the point. My current class C I have owned for 5 years seems to be
not as well suited for our rv life style as well as it use to. 5k per year, jeep toad, and a feeling of being a little beat up after getting to a long destination not to mention pumping
unleaded fuel with a toad a PITA I'm looking towards a Class A. The quality of the 2003 motorhomes in my 50-60k range look amazing. Ok question time. Any brands to avoid. Pitfalls to look for in a 2001-2004 year model. Should I just tone it down a bit and get a higher quality class c.

Thanks for any and all feedback. No one will hurt my feelings. Honesty counts.
Check out the Fleetwood American coaches. Quite a few Traditions for sale in your price range.
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, upgrade