Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #15
I do not understand yet another thread talking about the dependability of slides? There are hundreds and hundreds of posts on iRV2 discussing this subject. IMHO a search of iRV2 would have been a better option then starting another slide thread!

When it comes to slides it is very much a function of coach manufacturer and what slide make, manufacturer they use. This can also change from model year to model year.

TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #16

Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I just can not imagine that a MH, class A particularly, has much torsional rigidity. And that there are more than just slide problems that come about from twisting them........ And as you note most people even think about it. I am even very conscious of gas station entires........

I have a picture from a rear angle of my (ex) Porsche CaymanS going over the inside curbing at turn 3 on Road Atlanta which is probably a 60mph corner, and the curbing is maybe 3 or 4 inches. You can clearly see that rear hatch shut lines are off by about 1/8". Think about that, a car with exceptional torsion ridgity gong over a very low curb (albeit, highly loaded up on the outside suspension) is twisting the car 1/8th of an inch. Now think about a 30'-45' "box" with slide holes in it to boot, going across a 3' or more entry curb or road transition...... The site I an referring to was probably a 5' left to right and up to down transition differential.

So I HAVE learned something that may be valuable to me in the future in this thread. I will try to be more careful about twisting my MH when I can avoid it. I have been careful and slow about sudden changes in front of me but now will be even more careful. Thanks Betr2Trvl for making me more aware!!

2015 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2015 Focus SE flat tow SMI Airforce One
USMC 67-70 VN 69/70
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #17
Full wall, no issues.
2013 Discovery 40G, 2012 JK Rubicon TOAD1, 2014 Grand Cherokee TOAD2. 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn. American Steel = American PROFITS!
dubdub07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:01 AM   #18
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
So I HAVE learned something that may be valuable to me in the future in this thread. I will try to be more careful about twisting my MH when I can avoid it. I have been careful and slow about sudden changes in front of me but now will be even more careful. Thanks Betr2Trvl for making me more aware!!
My perception is just that, my perception. But it just seems logical to me and simply something to be considerate of, and costs nothing but a little time and planning.

Cracked tiles (I understand they look nice, but they really don't seem practcal in a MH to me), screwed up slides, trim separations, etc. seem like problems that could be related to twisting a coach.......

2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA, 24k chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #19
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2011 Damon Challenger with a full-wall slide and two smaller slides. All have the "antiquated" cable system. Never had an issue after 30,000 miles and many operations. I do regularly check on chafing issues, but so far, so good.

bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #20
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had an '03 Mountain Aire until last June and never had a slide problem. Newmar was first to come out with a production slide on 1990 and have the most experience.
1995 Roadtrek 19 Versatile
Dodge 318
1975 GMC Eleganza II
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:11 AM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks for your replys....

SEEMS after talking to forrestriver I could not get a straight answer on just how tight the chains r to be on the wall slides??..not real slack but not toooo tight....yeah right.....gooood luck out there ....get a great tech in nj???..please let me know who he is!!!!
jim and lorraine
jponyboyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:33 PM   #22
Originally Posted by jponyboyace View Post
?...seems to me a freightliner chasis and a cummings engine appears to be the best...

A CUMMINGS engine? Never heard of 'em.

Must be a new engine maker.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #23
RoadMaster 10 airbag chassis with a 28' hydraulic FWS. 2 rams, one at each end. Full kitchen, stacked W/D and residential fridg. on the slide. No problems so far. Works great but really gets your attention when the side of the coach moves in and out.

2013 HR 43DFT RR10R
All Electric FWS-Tag
FMCA 451687 Monaco Int.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, slide