Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2015, 02:42 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
class A wall slides...Which r more dependable?!!

Would love to hear from those of u who have had no problems with your slides....seems to me a freightliner chasis and a cummings engine appears to be the best...BUT the slides...each rig i have owned have had there issues....any solid slide stories please.....plus haveing a great tech is hard to find!!!!...jay nj south nj...i currently have a charlston by forrest river and have 2 electric....2 hydrolic/cable.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2015, 03:24 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Ours has never had a single issue in 15 years. A Dewald engineered floating floor, single hydraulic piston and a synchronizing cable. Too bad they were bought up by Power Gear but it did not include this patent from what I heard. They haven't been used in about 13 years.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:07 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Amazing because almost all who have the wall slides have issues..thanks for your input!!!
Old 11-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #4

I have not had a problem with any of my three Power Gear electric slides. Fingers crossed.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #5

My coach is 11 yrs old. The Power Gear slide has never had a problem and is still working fine today.
gseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Had a 09' coach with a full wall slide (PowerGear) and never had an issue. My new coach has 3 slides, all PowerGear and one of them is designed much like the Schwintek, 2 motors, shaft down and I replaced a motor within the first 30 days of ownership. The other two have the good PowerGear design with the motors under the slide.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:11 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I have HWH powered slides and since we took ownership of the coach in Aug '01, we have never had a problem with the mechanics. Did have to replace a electrical switch but that could happen with any system
Old 11-19-2015, 05:25 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have new to us 2005 Discovery. Looking at the maintenance records, the only slide problem was a blown fuse. I think your perception that everyone with slides has problems is because only those with problems post about them on the forum.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2000 Winnebago with HWH slides, never a problem
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #10

One of the benefits of our Tifin 31SA floor plan is that the 2 slides do not move any systems (water) or anything heavy (fridge). The bed slide is a Swintek, and the hydraulic slide in the living area only moves the sofa and dinette.

I also think many slide problems, particularly for larger slides can be related back to the coaches being inadvertently twisted. For instance, at one very nice campground this summer, we had a great pull though site, other than if you actually pulled through you were going to twist your coach like a wet noodle. The site exit dropped sharply down to the right, and the road went up to the left. I am sure many many people have pulled through, but there is no way I was........ I can just imagine what it would have done to a FWS on 45'er.
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
The site exit dropped sharply down to the right, and the road went up to the left. I am sure many many people have pulled through, but there is no way I was........ I can just imagine what it would have done to a FWS on 45'er.
You would think a MH was built to withstand this type of stuff. Puts me to thinking about it a bit more though.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #12

No major problems. I have a power gear single slide that includes the galley. It has one small electric motor driving a long shaft with gears on each end.

Problems....

1. Sheared pin in long shaft, probably caused by previous owner not using the correct grade 8 bolt.

2. Minor adjustment to make slide fit better against side of coach.

3. Began using manufacturer supplied slide locks to get a better weather seal when the slide is in the stored position (which the manufacture says is required anyway).

Fred
Old 11-19-2015, 08:31 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ours have been fine.
The kitchen slide is hydraulic, the other three are electric.
two bedroom slides are Lippert.

One thing to remember is that people don't normally post on any forum when there slides are working, only when they have a problem.

There does seem to be some "common" problems with certain builders who overload their slides.

Regards,
Dan
Old 11-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
You would think a MH was built to withstand this type of stuff. Puts me to thinking about it a bit more though.
I just can not imagine that a MH, class A particularly, has much torsional rigidity. And that there are more than just slide problems that come about from twisting them........ And as you note most people even think about it. I am even very conscious of gas station entires........

I have a picture from a rear angle of my (ex) Porsche CaymanS going over the inside curbing at turn 3 on Road Atlanta which is probably a 60mph corner, and the curbing is maybe 3 or 4 inches. You can clearly see that rear hatch shut lines are off by about 1/8". Think about that, a car with exceptional torsion ridgity gong over a very low curb (albeit, highly loaded up on the outside suspension) is twisting the car 1/8th of an inch. Now think about a 30'-45' "box" with slide holes in it to boot, going across a 3' or more entry curb or road transition...... The site I an referring to was probably a 5' left to right and up to down transition differential.

Regards!

Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, slide