Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #1

Class A windshield insulation

I'm looking for an upgrade or replacement for my windshield drapes. At times, mainly in TX, the heat radiates through the factory drapes, which are pretty thin. I prefer not to have to deal with a foil cover but that might be my best option.

Thanks
Frank
scis438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exterior shades work the best. Drapes do not prevent the heat from being transferred through the glass. There are several manufacturers of exterior shades or they can be made DIY. Magnashade is a good product, but a bit pricey.
www.magnashade.com
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:34 AM   #3

Frank,

The foil cover isn't pretty, but really works. A friend recommended this several years ago, and we use the material in our Safari Trek (with very large windshield). I use a shield made from the Aluminum bubble wrap sheet available in rolls from Home depot, Lowes, etc. and place this inside, between the and the windshield cover/drape. The reduction in heat is outstanding. I don't use the shield on our driver/passenger side windows since these are double pane and I have read this technique will damage such windows.

What not to do: The Trek windshield has a wide bar in the center, so I cut two shields for the right and left side, then stuck self-adhesive Velcro tape all around the edges, to mate with matching Velcro tape around the windshield and assure a good fit for the shields. The extreme heat between the inside of the glass and the shield melted the tape adhesive and I had to clean lots of goo from the windshield border. I now just push the shields against the glass, and they tend to stay in place. Another benefit is that the shields are placed from the inside so no snaps or other fastening are needed.

We do a lot of dry camping at sports car events, and some times have to park facing the sun. I first used the shields back in the late '90's, and would never leave home without these packed under the folding couch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scis438 View Post
I'm looking for an upgrade or replacement for my windshield drapes. At times, mainly in TX, the heat radiates through the factory drapes, which are pretty thin. I prefer not to have to deal with a foil cover but that might be my best option.

Thanks
Frank
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Both the previous posts offer good advise IMHO. I use both methods, a windshield cover and the foil pushed up against the windshield. This has made a tremendous difference. Most of the time we just use the windshield screen which is put on at every RV site we are at. The added bonus of the windshield screen is that during the day you have a great view but no one can see in. I have the Prompt Windshield screen.
http://www.rvsunscreen.com

Sent from my iPhone6 using iRV2 mobile
Old 08-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is another source for solar screens. I have purchased two sets from them and am very happy with the product. It's only $259 for a set including the windshield, driver's window and passenger's window. They also include slip on covers for the windshield wipers and a carry bag. Keeping the sun outside is key, once it is inside the windshield the heat will radiate right through any drapes or window shade.

I'm not associated in any way, just a happy customer.

RV Windshield Covers - Features
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:28 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AS others have said. get the 1/4inch foil backed both sides insulation at LOWES. I just cut it long enough to cover the length of the window. The insulation is 4 feet wide and that is wide enough to hold itself against the window. I use it in the summer and the winter. We have been living in our MH fulltime now for 14 months this time and 6 months the winter of 2013.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:43 AM   #7

Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like an external screen might be my best option for overall protection. The installation might require a little more effort but should be worth it in the long run.
scis438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:03 AM   #8

I have the solar sun screens and wouldn't be without them. I have thought about if we were facing west in extreme heat that I would place Reflectix outside the glass behind the sunscreens. Maybe a 16inch at the bottom side to side and another 16in peice at the top. That would give a 12inch space in the middle side to side to look out. I really think this would provide great heat insulation from the sun and still wouldn't look tacky.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:21 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We used the solor screen on the front for a long time and looked for light blocking curtains without any luck. I got a sun shade from amazon ( i don't like the silver either) dropped the temp inside about 5 degrees. it has been over 100 here for a couple weeks - comfy in the coach
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I too just last week bought a roll of the Reflictix 1/4 insulation and while installing it in full sun I could not believe how good it was already working. I did one continuous piece across the driver's window, both windshields and the passenger window. It's not too bad to roll up or to re-install.

I had enough left over to do the two side windows in the back bedroom. I was planning on buying more for the rest of the side windows. However, now reading some of the comments about not covering the double pane windows I don't know if this is such a good idea.

So, what are the downfalls of covering double pane windows?
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalpho View Post
I too just last week bought a roll of the Reflictix 1/4 insulation and while installing it in full sun I could not believe how good it was already working. I did one continuous piece across the driver's window, both windshields and the passenger window. It's not too bad to roll up or to re-install.

I had enough left over to do the two side windows in the back bedroom. I was planning on buying more for the rest of the side windows. However, now reading some of the comments about not covering the double pane windows I don't know if this is such a good idea.

So, what are the downfalls of covering double pane windows?

"So, what are the downfalls of covering double pane windows?"

IMHO if the reflective material is placed on the inside of the coach on a double pane window you might create a solar collector out of the air space in between the panes and cause seal damage or other heat related damage to the window.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBCCB View Post
"So, what are the downfalls of covering double pane windows?"

IMHO if the reflective material is placed on the inside of the coach on a double pane window you might create a solar collector out of the air space in between the panes and cause seal damage or other heat related damage to the window.

Talk to any glass expert and they will tell you not to put foil on the inside of your windows. Outside screens are the most effective and best way to prevent damage to the glass.

Tags
class a