Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #1

Class A windshield popping out

While traveling from San Antonio to Arizona, we encountered high winds while on the road and gradually heard lots of wind noise in the cab area. We later discovered that the top right corners of our windshield had popped out. The openings were big enough for our hands to fit through. We called a mobile RV windshield repairman who resealed the windshield but he recommended having the entire windshield reset.
Has anyone ever had this kind of windshield problem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #2

That must have been some wind you had there. I do know that Texas winds are so strong that they turn semis over on their backs without any warning at all. You're lucky it was only the windshield. I've never had this type of windshield problem myself.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to saduncan1
If you do a search on this issue you will find a lot of problems with different MH, After three windshields I took mine to Coach glass in Eugene OR. They found that my glass was hitting the dash!!!! They pulled the broken glass fit the new one and trimmed the dash and a lot more!!They test fit the glass three time till they were satisfied that the problem was solved, no more leaks, no more popped corners no more broken glass. They had hookups because it took two days , needed to let new gaskets setup in front cap, If you are traveling north give them a call. Many people recommended them to me and I am very pleased with the results. They accepted my insurance and did not charge me for the extra work!!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrances View Post
While traveling from San Antonio to Arizona, we encountered high winds while on the road and gradually heard lots of wind noise in the cab area. We later discovered that the top right corners of our windshield had popped out. The openings were big enough for our hands to fit through. We called a mobile RV windshield repairman who resealed the windshield but he recommended having the entire windshield reset.
Has anyone ever had this kind of windshield problem?
Yes, last year while travelling in Northern Oregon, we hit some high winds and it started to pop our right side wind shield. We basically had to do the same thing as you. Get some mobile glass guys to push it back in and glue it for a temporary fix. When I got home, I had the entire rubber moulding replaced as the rubber had gotten a bit old and weak. It is amazing how little actually holds those windscreens in place.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #5

Last weekend while at the Good Sam Rally in Louisville I observed them changing a front windshield on a new class A so I walked by to take a look. I did not see anything wrong with the old windshield, no cracks, chips, etc. I asked the window folks why they were changing the window and they were not forthcoming as to the reason so I walked on...
Old 06-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

Smile Wind

A year ago, we traveled the same area going north towards KS. Both (split window) popped out at top and sides. We were in Shamrock TX and there is nothing there. I called Glass Doctor in Amarillo and they said to come in. I asked how and they said take duck tape to the front and cover everything. The trip of 90 miles took 3 hours (head wind thankfully) and we got there. They pulled both sides and reset them with new seals. I had also had the same thing when the coach was 1 yr old and had it resealed (goop all over). Don't stay with just that. Pull into any glass place after talking to them and have the windows taken out and reset. You just went through probably the most scary problem you can have. Was it raining also. My day in TX included rain.

Good luck and happy travels
Old 06-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Before you do anything else, call Thor customer service, explain your problem, and see what they have to say. Although you would be well out of warranty, this is a problem they have addressed on other coaches in the past, so you might be surprised. Some early Mandalays had this problem, and were fixed by installing a more rigid frame around the windshield area (sometimes called a "halo fix").

I could be wrong, but if I understood correctly, it had something to do with excessive front-end flex on non-IFS coaches.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #8

There is quit a few MH that do that from improper use in leveling jacks. People will twist the MH and pop.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #9

Windshield popping out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
There is quit a few MH that do that from improper use in leveling jacks. People will twist the MH and pop.
We have hydraulic leveling jacks and they level the MH automatically. We don't put the slides out until after the jacks have finished leveling. Since the jacks are automatic, I don't know of any way that we could level the coach.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #10

We have a temporary fix for our windshield popping out but need to have the glass reseated, resealed and possibly fiberglass fill. Does anyone know of an RV shop specific to this problem between Phoenix and Lake Havasu, AZ or Palm Springs or San Diego, CA?