Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #1

Class A with front bunk

Something I noticed a few manufactures had this year at the RV show. Class A MHs with a queen bed + over the driver and pass. It was electric so it was tight to the ceiling for travel and moved down to sleep position once stopped. Great idea and somewhat surprised I haven't seen this before.
Obviously this was only on models with a mid length entry door but provided a really nice size bed in place of a few small cabinets.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Fleetwood has had them since 2012, think they called it Hide-A-Loft on the Excursion.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #3

trek motorhomes had them since at least the early 90's
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #4

Fleetwood Storm 32V has them but really noisy when traveling down the road, chain driven! I see the newer models are gear drive, which must be quieter.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #5

I think the one I saw was gear driven. Only bad thing was they had mounted some map lights to the wall that apparently need to be pushed tight to the wall before lowering the bed. Being at an RV show people didn't know that and had raised and lowered the bed ripping the map lights right of the wall of this brand new unit.
Dumb design IMO as I could see me forgetting one time and ripping off the lights too.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The Thor ACE units have them. We have one. It operates perfectly, and you need a key to operate the bed mechanism.

When the bed is in the up position it hides a set of storage compartments. If you didn't know they were there you wouldn't know to look for them, as they are hidden by the bed. We lock valuables in there and take the key that operates the bed with us when we leave - you can't get into them without the key.
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamtns View Post
The Thor ACE units have them. We have one. It operates perfectly, and you need a key to operate the bed mechanism.

When the bed is in the up position it hides a set of storage compartments. If you didn't know they were there you wouldn't know to look for them, as they are hidden by the bed. We lock valuables in there and take the key that operates the bed with us when we leave - you can't get into them without the key.
Nice! I really like that feature. I know the kids really liked that bed in our classC we had. They would argue over who got to sleep on the "big bed". Its typically pretty much wasted space so great idea. has it been reliable?
Old 02-26-2014, 02:22 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Nice! I really like that feature. I know the kids really liked that bed in our classC we had. They would argue over who got to sleep on the "big bed". Its typically pretty much wasted space so great idea. has it been reliable?
Yes, the bed has been reliable. The grand kids think it's their play area, and love sleeping up there. The captains chairs are right under the bed, but with the bed in the use/down position you still have more than enough head room to sit in the chairs.
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
MKM

We have a 2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2 that has the bunk. It sits up tight and hasn't made a peep while driving. We put a 3 inch memory foam mattress up there and we are able to keep the sheets and comforter on it full time with no issues. I don't think our 8 year daughter would have allowed us trading in our class c for the class a dp without it. No regrets.
MKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #10

Just so you are aware, Thor has 2 different systems for the front bunk. The one I have in my 30.1 kinda of folds up into the ceiling, the way that virginiamnts describes.

I like it but I have 2 problems with it.

1. You can't reach the hidden / exposed compartments unless you climb up into the bed when it is down.
2. It only has a 250 pound capacity.

The other system is where the entire bed is lifted into place and is flush with the ceiling. This is nice but you don't get the extra storage but you do get 500 pound capacity.
BigInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #11

Someone needs to come up with an affordable front bunk modification for the older class As. A lot of younger families are moving to class A's for the room, the ride, and the towing capacity. But they lack the sleeping capacity of a class C. I'm trying to figure out how to do that right now.
riverracerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #12

The first mass produced class "A" was, arguably, the Winnebago Brave, and the reason that for decades all class "A" were called a Winnebago as the term came to mean a class "A" RV, and sometimes the term was used for any RV's.

Anyway, those first class "A's" had just such an arrangement, but was a manual model to get is out of the was when not occupied.

I had one of those, the 21 foot model, and to this day it was one of the most fun rigs to drive I have ever had, and this was about 15 years ago. And mine had a power house 419 truck engine in it, which later became the 383 as I remember it.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My 82 PA has one above the drivers and passengers seat, a little smaller than a Queen, manual pull down on a strap and then push back up very tight no raddles . I could never sleep up there maybe just 2 feet from mattress to ceiling. Claustrophobic bed...
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #14

I have a 1974 Winnebago Indian that has the bunk above the front it is manual bed size is 47" x 87" great for the grandkids to sleep and we put are folding chairs up there when traveling
Joe V is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a