Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #15

Duel drop hitch receiver

This is available from camping world. It's called a 4" drop duel hitch receiver. Their part number is 34685 presently on sale for $135. 10,000 lb rated hitch 400 lb tongue weight.
I have it on my Country Coach, works great
Rj 2005 inspire #51264

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Options

- Double receiver adapter
- Bike carrier that attaches around / on top of the receiver
- Have an additional receiver tube welded above the existing receiver (could be the smaller 1" if your bike rack is this size)
We had the additional receiver tube welded onto the existing receiver. Works well, and was a fairly inexpensive option.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:05 AM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This was a good solution for us. I hated the bulky, heavy and low hanging double hitches which extended the tow bar. I always remove everything from the hitch at the end of a trip and the double hitch adaptor was another thing that was heavy and time consuming.

I had a hitch shop add the second receiver. It gave me options for tow bar height too! Both positions are rated to 15K.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:45 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Hello, Gordon.

Something like this?

MaxxTow Dual Hitch Extender for 2" Trailer Hitches - 12" Long MaxxTow Hitch Accessories MT70070

My concern with these is that they typically reduce the hitch weight capacity by as much as 50%. I would also like to hear from those that use them.

Bruce
Bruce - I believe if you are flat towing the hitch weight is considered to be 0. The pulling weight should not change that much but you will have to check carefully to make sure.

Another thought is to get a front mounted bike rack. That would put your bicycles out in the bugs but out of the grunge from the back.

The last option is to get a roof mounted rack for the CRV. That would enable you to take the bikes on the toad to many bike paths etc not available from the campground.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Bruce - I believe if you are flat towing the hitch weight is considered to be 0. The pulling weight should not change that much but you will have to check carefully to make sure.

Another thought is to get a front mounted bike rack. That would put your bicycles out in the bugs but out of the grunge from the back.

The last option is to get a roof mounted rack for the CRV. That would enable you to take the bikes on the toad to many bike paths etc not available from the campground.
Thanks, Gordon. Back in the 80's, I put a receiver hitch on the front of our first moho, since we usually towed a boat along with us. However, we always carried at least 4 bikes back then, and I did not like how they blocked the headlights. Plus, that many bikes moving around right in front of my eyes always messed with my head!

Jeep may have solved our problem this week, though. They did a recall on our liberty (do not have a CRV, sorry if I misled you), and to make the gas tank "safer" in rear-end collisions, they installed a receiver hitch free of charge. Now, we can use our heavy-duty bike rack that has a pedal to lower the entire rack to the ground, instead of using the rack that simply hangs onto the spare tire. I remove the front wheels, and the seats, then stagger the bikes to keep the rear lights as clear as possible. Still in the back of my parade, and yes with all of the road dust crud, but better than lifting the bikes onto the roof!

We have recently been discussing getting a trailer to haul all of our stuff. After looking at everything we like to take, I should probably be looking at upgrading to an 18-wheeler. . . . .

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:40 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OktsCamp View Post
I flat tow a Honda CR-V, and I'm struggling to come up with a bike rack system to carry 3 bikes. my toad does not have a hitch and I'd rather not put one in it...is there something out there I haven't stumbled upon that I can use in conjunction with the motorhome hitch...and still tow the toad??
We bit the bullet and installed a hitch on our CR-V. This gave us the flexibility to take our bikes out of the cg to ride in some of the places we day tour.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #21

I don't understand those that worry about the hitch weight of the double receiver. You are not changing your towing weight by any means. All that is changing is your tongue weight by the weight of the bike rack and the bikes themselves and in my opinion that just isn't a big deal. OP you went through a lot of un-needed $$$ in my view putting a whole hitch etc. on the back of your toad.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BlueOx used to make a bike rack attachment that mounted two bikes between the toad and the RV. I am not sure if they are still making them or not, but you can find them for sale online by searching for it. Here's one example: Blue Ox Bike Rack - 3-4 Bike Fold-Down Carrier - PPL Motor Homes

Thought if I were doing this, I'd try to emulate what Dutch Star Don did. That's a sweet setup.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #23

You can get a 4" Drop Duel Hitch receiver from Camping World.
It's rated at 10,000 lbs with a 400 lb tongue weight. It's currently on sale for $135.00.
I got mine last year, it works great. I use the Yakima bike rack.
RJ
2005 Inspire #51264
Old 04-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, Gordon. Back in the 80's, I put a receiver hitch on the front of our first moho, since we usually towed a boat along with us. However, we always carried at least 4 bikes back then, and I did not like how they blocked the headlights. Plus, that many bikes moving around right in front of my eyes always messed with my head!

Jeep may have solved our problem this week, though. They did a recall on our liberty (do not have a CRV, sorry if I misled you), and to make the gas tank "safer" in rear-end collisions, they installed a receiver hitch free of charge. Now, we can use our heavy-duty bike rack that has a pedal to lower the entire rack to the ground, instead of using the rack that simply hangs onto the spare tire. I remove the front wheels, and the seats, then stagger the bikes to keep the rear lights as clear as possible. Still in the back of my parade, and yes with all of the road dust crud, but better than lifting the bikes onto the roof!

We have recently been discussing getting a trailer to haul all of our stuff. After looking at everything we like to take, I should probably be looking at upgrading to an 18-wheeler. . . . .

Bruce
Hi Bruce;
We opted for a 20' stacker from inTech. Total weight with 2 motorcycles, SUV, skis, and bicycles is 13,000 lbs. Also carry grill, smoker and odds and ends. Trailer keeps everything out of the grunge. Best part is all of the small bits are out of sight.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Hi Bruce;
We opted for a 20' stacker from inTech. Total weight with 2 motorcycles, SUV, skis, and bicycles is 13,000 lbs. Also carry grill, smoker and odds and ends. Trailer keeps everything out of the grunge. Best part is all of the small bits are out of sight.
That sounds perfect! When I click on your pic, it changes to a 5th wheel? If you have already posted pics of the trailer, especially loaded, please lead me to them. My wifey needs a portable silversmith shop, and Jay (Old Car Nut) has a trailer that carries all of their stuff, and then turns into a shop. I look forward to seeing your setup, too. Thanks, Gordon.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OktsCamp View Post
I flat tow a Honda CR-V, and I'm struggling to come up with a bike rack system to carry 3 bikes. my toad does not have a hitch and I'd rather not put one in it...is there something out there I haven't stumbled upon that I can use in conjunction with the motorhome hitch...and still tow the toad??
My setup for towing is a Reese dual extension with an adjustable drop hitch. With the car loaded on a dolly my Thule 2 bike rack easily clears the front of our 06 jetta. I have sportrack 4 bike rack but I haven't had a chance to mount it and see if it clears a well. Now if I was towing 4 down with this setup I would even have more room for the rack to clear the front of the car.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #27

I tow DW's RAV4 on a dolly and carry our two bikes on a ladder mount bike rack sorta in a hanging fashion. Just ordered online the other day two mid level road bikes. Because of the dirt etc. the bikes gather on the rack from the air down flow I Goggled bike covers and their are some nice products out there around $80 to protect your bike. For my application the cover will zip over the bikes with two openings for the rack tubes. Very nice.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
That sounds perfect! When I click on your pic, it changes to a 5th wheel? If you have already posted pics of the trailer, especially loaded, please lead me to them. My wifey needs a portable silversmith shop, and Jay (Old Car Nut) has a trailer that carries all of their stuff, and then turns into a shop. I look forward to seeing your setup, too. Thanks, Gordon.

Bruce
The pictures are up here someplace. Finding them is problematic. I will post a few again and hope they do not take the thread too far off topic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1800.1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	90350

Name:	Img_1843.1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	90351

Name:	IMG_1845.JPG