Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #29

Here is my set up. I'm using a Swagman XC bike rack.

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
I don't understand those that worry about the hitch weight of the double receiver. You are not changing your towing weight by any means. All that is changing is your tongue weight by the weight of the bike rack and the bikes themselves and in my opinion that just isn't a big deal.
Many hitch extenders, drop/raise adapters, and dual hitch adapters reduce the tongue weight rating of the hitch. This can be due to the torque from the extra lever arm of the longer adapter, or it could be due to the reduced capabilities of the adapter itself. For example, the one ronandsue74 mentions has a 10,000 pound tow rating, and 400 pound tongue weight rating. The tongue weight rating for a 10,000 pound hitch is usually 1,000 pounds, so using the adapter results in a 600 pound reduction in tongue weight capacity. That's a 60% reduction.

But, you're right, in the case of pulling a toad, it doesn't matter. Pulling a four-down toad is essentially no tongue weight, and the weight of the bikes and rack won't come near that 400 pound rating.

But if he was pulling a boat or other trailer, then that 600 pounds of lost tongue weight capacity could be significant.

Quote:
OP you went through a lot of un-needed $$$ in my view putting a whole hitch etc. on the back of your toad.
He didn't spend any $$$ on it, Jeep did. There is a recall in progress for gas tanks that can easily split open during an accident. Jeep's fix under that recall is to install a hitch receiver to give a small measure of protection to the exposed gas tank.

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #31

I don't know if the MaxxTow in theory would reduce your tongue weight limit. I use the MaxxTow, with a KarKaddy 3 behind it. It works great. I don't think tongue weight is an issue with a dolly or flat tow as there isn't much weight. I also pull a enclosed 6x12 for Harley. I don't think I would use the MaxxTow with the enclosed setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Hello, Gordon.

Something like this?

MaxxTow Dual Hitch Extender for 2" Trailer Hitches - 12" Long MaxxTow Hitch Accessories MT70070

My concern with these is that they typically reduce the hitch weight capacity by as much as 50%. I would also like to hear from those that use them.

Bruce
Old 04-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OktsCamp View Post
I flat tow a Honda CR-V, and I'm struggling to come up with a bike rack system to carry 3 bikes. my toad does not have a hitch and I'd rather not put one in it...is there something out there I haven't stumbled upon that I can use in conjunction with the motorhome hitch...and still tow the toad??
I suppose you could buy a roof rack system for the CRV. Kinda tough to get bikes up there though (at least for me).

I know you said you would prefer not doing this, but I bought a hitch for my Toad (Murano) and got a decent bike rack that fits in it. That way we can bring the bikes on the back of the Murano when its being towed, and then drive them off site to go riding.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #33

Gregory, that's a nice tidy set up.

Shape, the OP has a CR-V and that's who I was responding to regarding to much money spent. Perhaps I missed a post that someone got the free hitch courtesy of Jeep, which I would get rid of if that was my vehicle.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #34

Thanks everyone for the input. while I have not yet come up with what will work best, you have provided me lots of options to consider.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffk48867 View Post
I don't know if the MaxxTow in theory would reduce your tongue weight limit.
It's rated for 4,000 pound tow weight, and 400 pound tongue weight. Since it's a 2" receiver, it could easily be plugged into a receiver with a 10,000 pound rating and 1,000 pound tongue weight rating. In that case, it's definitely a reduction in rating since the rating for the overall hitch system depends on the weakest link.

Quote:
I don't think tongue weight is an issue with a dolly or flat tow as there isn't much weight. I also pull a enclosed 6x12 for Harley. I don't think I would use the MaxxTow with the enclosed setup.
Correct on both accounts. Flat towing only adds the weight of the tow bar to the hitch, which is well less than 400 pounds (more like 40.) A dolly likely adds more weight, but also probably less than 400 pounds (but you should make sure the combined dolly and toad weight are less than 4,000 pounds.) And I agree, I also would not pull the enclosed trailer with the adapter in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Shape, the OP has a CR-V and that's who I was responding to regarding to much money spent. Perhaps I missed a post that someone got the free hitch courtesy of Jeep, which I would get rid of if that was my vehicle.
My apologies. Just before reading your post, I had read post #19 by Firebug5. In it he states that "Jeep may have solved our problem this week, though." That caused me to incorrectly assume that he was the OP posting a resolution to his problem. Sorry for the confusion.

I share your concern. In the '70s I had one of the Pintos with the trick exploding gas tank, where in a rear-end accident the bumper bolts would pierce the gas tank and spray gas on the hot muffler that is right next to it. Ford's fix was to put in a plastic baffle so the gas splashed down rather than on the muffler. They didn't address the problem of the tank splitting open in the first place. I never felt comfortable driving that car. After a few times of watching cars trying to stop behind me and thinking "please stop in time, please stop in time" I was really glad to get rid of that POS. The kicker was when I was on the Interstate, cresting a hill, and seeing that all of the traffic ahead was stopped. I stopped quickly and without incident, but the car coming up behind me was in a steep nose dive with smoking tires, and I didn't think he was going to stop in time. He didn't. But fortunately he pulled off onto the left shoulder and stopped next to me. That was just too close!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
I added a hitch but it was a pain to put the bikes on then off the carrier. I did several trips and never was happy with the bike carrier. After a while I just put the (4) bikes in the back with the seat folded down. I would take the front tire off of my bikes and put them in the back of the CRV. I also would place a old blanket between them.. Also kept the bikes clean plus it was faster to take them in and out vs the bike carrier. Another problem with the carrier I had was the bikes blocked the lights on the towed veh.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #37

We are getting ready to tow a crv 4 down and I need to be able to travel with around 5 bikes. My plan is a double hitch with a bike rack for up to 4 bikes (we already own). A roof bike carrier for 1-3 bikes (based on CRV roof rack rating). Now I put a rear hitch on our CRV (very simple to do if it is relatively new or really clean). So if we want to take our bikes with the CRV after we get to the campground we can.

Love every ones input.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #38

Bonus to having the bikes available on the toad, being able drive to available trails, paths and so forth. Good going!
Old 05-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #39

Have you Tried a bumper Hitch

I had a similar problem, but have a tow dolly instead of puling a toad. I ended up purchasing a bumper hitch. It essentially secures to a 4x4 bumper and provides a second receiver for the bikes. You just need to check to see if your bumper can handle the bike weight.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #40

We bought a bike rack and installed a hitch receiver on our CRV. We wanted to be able to take the bikes with the car, so that worked the best for us. The bike rack folds down so we can get into the back of the crv if needed.
vjkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I suppose you could buy a roof rack system for the CRV. Kinda tough to get bikes up there though (at least for me).

I know you said you would prefer not doing this, but I bought a hitch for my Toad (Murano) and got a decent bike rack that fits in it. That way we can bring the bikes on the back of the Murano when its being towed, and then drive them off site to go riding.

I just have to say how much this post right here helped us.
We are in the very same position, how do we now carry the bikes with a toad back there. We looked at the dual hitches and how that would work.
Then jondrew points out that if we mount them to the car, (we already have that rack), we can take the bikes with us ON THE CAR to bike elsewhere.
What a great idea, and still allows access to the motor if needed without unloading the bikes and taking the rack off.

Thanks!

Tags
toad, class a