Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #1

Class A with two "bedroom" spaces

I have a newbie post in the full timer forum where I noted that I am primarily looking at fifth wheels. I just had a coworker shoot my a link to a Thor Challenger 36KT which has two "rooms," one of my major sticking points to considering the fifth wheel. I don't know anything about Thor as a brand, but I have a dealer within an hours' drive so I'll be checking this out soon. My main question is whether there are other manufacturers with this two room format in a class A? Knowing this would open a lot of options up for me. I tried to google this but had no luck.
Mloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Most have a living room/kitchen combo and a bedroom so that's two rooms,
but maybe I don't understand what you mean by two rooms - two bedrooms in addition to you living room ?

we have what I would say is 3 and 1/2 rooms in ours!
And if we started counting outside and the basements, many more sleeping arrangements can be visualized

Toy Haulers have multiple rooms...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor plan.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	117486  
Old 01-26-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

Most class A coaches are going to be divided into two areas, the front "salon/galley" area and the rear "bed/bath" area. There will usually be a sliding door to separate these two halves, and sometimes two doors, so you can keep the bedroom separate from the bathroom(s). Looking at the Thor 37KT it shows that the galley area is in the middle, and the front salon area can closed off to make a second bedroom. This really gives the Thor three separate areas from what I see.

To me it looks like the Thor is targeting families, with the ability to close off the front to create a separate bedroom. My question is, how many people are going to be living in there? Also, what is pushing you in one direction or another with regards to a fifth wheel vs a Class A?
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have a bathroom, living room, and a bedroom, each with a door. Would that be three rooms?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #5

Welcome, Mloft. You reference "rooms" (sic) which makes me wonder if you are referring to bathROOMS. If so, you should know that many newer motor homes have a bath-and-a-half as an option. If that's what you meant by two "rooms" Thor isn't the only one to offer that. If you mean various living areas, Scatterbrain has described one of the common arrangements. Our coach, built in 1993, is laid out in that fashion. From the front, there is the salon (living room), galley (kitchen/dining), bath, and bedroom. Two pocket doors can separate the bath from the adjacent areas.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Most have a living room/kitchen combo and a bedroom so that's two rooms,
we have what I would say is 3 and 1/2 rooms in ours!
And if we started counting outside and the basements, many more sleeping arrangements can be visualized
Toy Haulers have multiple rooms...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
Most class A coaches are going to be divided into two areas, the front "salon/galley" area and the rear "bed/bath" area. There will usually be a sliding door to separate these two halves, and sometimes two doors, so you can keep the bedroom separate from the bathroom(s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
I have a bathroom, living room, and a bedroom, each with a door. Would that be three rooms?
Mloft
If coaches where "sticks and bricks" most would be described as a "1 bedroom /1 bath/ ??? sq. ft. house"...(depending upon the overall length.... and the number and size of the slides).
Mel
'96 Safari, (a no slide 1 bedroom /1 bath/ 260 sq. ft. coach)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #7

kbozke, the Thor floorplan that I found has a set of sliding doors in the front that separate the salon area from the galley. It also had the drop down bed so I imagine that they are trying to create a separate bedroom in the front for kids.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #8

Thor

As a fellow newbie and now Thor Outlaw owner, I will tell you that we looked at and considered the Challenger. We wanted a w/d - so it was crossed off the list when we could not find one.

We liked the divider door and how it created a private zone. King bed is a plus. The dining area that was set aside was nice, especially now that I know that the booth seats really don't let you "slide" in.

Why we went with the Outlaw. King size bedroom! Party deck - we have dogs and this will be a primary hang out for the family. This has sink, fridge, 50" TV. W/D prep was done and we had it installed and vacuum (love it).

Be sure to check if all the recalls have been done - step bolt and any others. This is actually preventing us from taking off the lot due to safety. I have to say everyone that has seen us hanging out on the back deck really like it and are surprised it's not a toy hauler.
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you're interested in a used unit, Gulf Stream used to make a class A with a front salon with doors to close if off from the mid ship entry and kitchen with dining table.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

If you want room to bring the piano and the work-out gear (ideas from your other post - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/lots-...ml#post2915491), and still keep a real bedroom, and have a salon (living room/galley) in a motorized RV...YES, you can have it all!

Look at the Canyon Star 3920/3921/3922:
http://www.newmarcorp.com/motor-coac...rplan-options/
With a bedroom, a finished garage (shed in the 3922) and salon.

Or look at the Outlaw 37RB (was 37MD):
https://thormotorcoach.com/outlaw/class-a/floorplans/
Has a bedroom, a large loft, and the finished garage, with a ramp that can be used as a party deck! (plus drop-down front overhead bunk too). Check the link below my signature for where Outlaw owners gather.

In the used market there are other Class A Toy Haulers from the past...see:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

There are also "Super C" Toy Haulers. I just don't know which has a dedicated bedroom.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #11

I think he meant bedrooms, but who knows until he chimes back in.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I think he meant bedrooms, but who knows until he chimes back in.
Thanks for the idea...

Both the Canyon Star and Outlaw Toy Haulers have finished garages that come from the factory with optional bunks.

We don't have the bunks, but have used our garage as a guest room by adding a trundle bed set and a simple carpet remnant.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trundel.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	117497
We show this photo so much to explain these options...really need to get a photo with the beds made-up

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Have been living in 37KT for over 11 of the last 14 months. Sliding doors for front living room or bedroom and basically a five room floor plan are why we bought it. It has more than lived up to our RV wish list. Really hugh window and curb side dineing room is a treat. Front table is used often for meals, snacks or just plain enjoying the front view. Really great TV viwewing in the front for at least three adults. Rear bedroom TV used almost daily, dine TV seldom and outside TV almost never. A'cond is good - gas furnace heating is weak in front but electric fireplace keeps it comfy. TWO awnings make for great entertainment and shade almost the whole curb side. If you don't have kids go for the theater seats and eleminate the front drop down bunk in favor of dual pane windows. If you use it frequently you may need to replace the bedroom mattress. PM me if you have specific questions.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #14

It looks like I was super ambiguous with my original query! I did mean bedrooms, as in, the front portion can be closed off to create a separate, private, sleeping space. There will be two people sharing this possible RV purchase - my son and I. As he gets older, I imagine he would want his personal space. Bathrooms and other amenities can be shared, but I think private bedrooms are essential when parked for any period of time. I've seen a number of fifth wheels and travel trailers with bedrooms at opposite ends, but this was the only class A I've seen.

Once again, I appreciate all the responses and this has given me a lot more to look into. The toyhauler seems to create a fairly useful, modular space for someone like me who has no toys. Another thing I hadn't even considered until now. Thanks again! This forum is great.
Mloft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, ace