Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #1

Class A without a vehicle in tow

For the past several years my wife and I have enjoyed our travel trailer, or actually a new one every 3 or 4 years. We are considering a move to a motorhome in the 35' range. We would like to totally get away from towing anything. Are there other RV people that have the same attitude? How do you cope without a separate vehicle? Our trips to date have been regional and a week or less.
RVandbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2018, 07:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVandbike View Post
For the past several years my wife and I have enjoyed our travel trailer, or actually a new one every 3 or 4 years. We are considering a move to a motorhome in the 35' range. We would like to totally get away from towing anything. Are there other RV people that have the same attitude? How do you cope without a separate vehicle? Our trips to date have been regional and a week or less.
We have a 27 foot class A and just take our bikes. DW and I can be ready to roll in 12 minutes so we drive the MH where ever we want to go. The longest time we've been out is 5 weeks.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I nearly always tow a vehicle. They are pretty easy to attach and detach, and it's nice not having to take the RV to a shopping center when you need to restock. However, I have heard of folks who carry bikes for short hop travel and then rent cars when they want to tour a larger area. Something to think about.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #4

We take bikes. We also use Uber. So far the most we have paid for Uber is $7.00. For us it is more cost effective since we are not full time. We are only running about 10 days a month now. Uber usually comes in under 5 minutes. Our Xterra would be an issue to tow.
Zman1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a 25ft. Class C and tried going without a tow vehicle. We found it did not work for us and bought a toad 4 weeks into our first trip.
Breaking camp and finding a parking spot every time we wanted to go somewhere got old very quickly.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
It all depends where you go and what you want to do. We like to stay at off the beaten path places and go hiking. Good luck finding an Uber, cab or any other mode of transportation. We ALWAYS tow our Jeep. Couldn't live without it
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #7

Most will opine that they would not consider not towing.

In 9 years we have never towed.

Enterprise has always picked us up if we needed a smaller vehicle.

Set yourself free---it will work out just fine.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVandbike View Post
Well,
Let me ask you a question or two. #1, When traveling with your trailer, I'm assuming you disconnected to it, when you got to your campsite/RV park, each time, unless you were leaving in the morning, correct?
#2, If you did disconnect, and had to or, wanted to, go some place for any number of reasons, go out to dinner, go get a part for the truck or trailer, did you just take the truck? What I'm getting at here is obvious. You had a "run-a-round" vehicle. You didn't have to take the trailer EVERYWHERE. You had the versatility of just the truck.

Now, if you get a motorhome and, DON'T have a run-a-round vehicle, guess what you get to do when all those same type of situations occur? Or, if your new motorhome should break down in some out of the way place, and you don't have cell service, what's next? See what I'm getting at?

While you MAY think you want to get away from the whole towing scene, it might not be the best way of thinking for many situations. Yes, some have stated they RENT a car when they need one. Well, when traveling all over the place and you find some out of the way camp spot or RV park and the nearest car rental place is many, many miles away, what's next? And, do all car rental places DELIVER?

The multiple conveniences AND the SAFETY factor of having or towing a toad FAR outweighs the inconveniences of towing, at least not only in my opinion but, if I had to guess, I'd say more than 90% of the folks with motor homes out there. One simply has to either break down or, have a desire to go some place AFTER setting up camp, for any number of reasons and NOT HAVE A TOAD, to realize, BIG MISTAKE. Of course I'll get arguments here, no doubt about it. But, we've been there, more than once and, our motorhome doesn't move an inch, without a toad. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:49 PM   #9

I’ve always thought a light motorcycle would be a great option. Maybe a dual sport, supermoto, electric even? Any feedback of those who do this?
brentclemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #10

…..I cant see being without a towed but I am sure some folks make it work.... frankly, I am reaching the age where I don't like to compromise on conveniences if I don't have to. Sure, sitting in a the park just down down the street--no biggie--but going on significant trips without a toad would be a major "compromise" for us.....I stopped thinking about motorcycles, motorscooters, or even bikes on busy streets a long time ago, after I saw a body under a tarp in the middle of the expressway in downtown Dallas ....No matter how careful you are, if some one on their cell phone hits you with a full-size vehicle, you lose. Towing a vehicle is the easy part of learning to operate a Class-A....there are no right answers here--good luck with your decision…
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Like others I can't see being without a toad. We have the hook up down to about 5 minutes and same for unhooking. It's never a problem or a hassle.

While you can call for a rental car if needed it doesn't mean there is a rental agency near your and that they have a car for your needs. Having the toad is also nice that if you should encounter with the MH you don't have to sit and wait for help. JMO
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
When we first got this motorhome, we didn't tow anything. (this was before Uber and Lyft) We called Enterprise. Worked okay for a while but a couple of times we didn't reserve ahead and had to wait a couple days to get a car. Then we started going to more remote areas and rental cars were not close by.

Next chapter I had a flat bed trailer that we pulled a toyota pickup on--couldn't tow 4 down. When we got to our destination, Unload truck from trailer, unhook from coach, move coach, hookup truck to trailer, park trailer, unhook truck. Reverse that when it was time to leave. I'd almost prefer no toad at all versus that rodeo.
We got it down to a system, but that was a real pain.

Now we tow 4 down. Much easier. First a Jeep now a honda. Getting ready to go back to a jeep, however. We park the coach and go everywhere exploring in the car. This is the best program for us, hands down. Simple to hook up, disconnect and towing is simple. It's not 'one size fits all' however.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:57 PM   #13

Scooter and or electric bicycles.
Kev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:06 AM   #14

No right or wrong answer here. It just depends on what works for you. I couldn't imagine not being able to explore from my "home". But, with Uber and whatnot these days there's never been a better time to give it a try. Hauling a toad is expensive complicated no matter how you slice it. Like every other aspect of RVing it's all trade-offs.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, tow