Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #15

This just keeps coming up. I think someone needs to do a really good write up, complete with links to legal references, about covering why you don't need a special license unless your state requires one. It then needs to be posted and marked sticky so it can always be found.

Here is the bottom line, i.e., the law, without any legal references:

Quote:
YOU ONLY NEED A NON-COMMERICAL CLASS A or B TO DRIVE CERTAIN TYPES OF RVs IF YOUR LEGAL STATE OF RESIDENCE REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE ONE. NO STATE, to my knowledge, REQUIRES A COMMERICAL LICENSE TO DRIVE A PERSONAL RV.

NO, AND I MEAN 100% NO, OTHER STATE CAN REQUIRE YOU TO HAVE ANY OTHER CLASS OF LICENSE. THIS IS GUARANTEED UNDER FEDERAL LAW.
Now if for some reason you want to get a commercial license it's your choice. It can have it's good points but also can have some legal downsides. Personally I might take the courses but NOT get the actual commercial license. If my state required a license to drive and RV I'd get the non-commercial version instead.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #16

Go to your local DMV office and ask one of the drivers license administrators. Be sure to tell them the size and approximate weight of your new rig, and the weight of your tow vehicle. If you do not need any special license they'll tell you. Regardless of what you're told, pick up a copy of the CDL manual, and the Air Brake manual and read /understand them. Lots of good info there that is difficult to find elsewhere.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Go to your local DMV office and ask one of the drivers license administrators. Be sure to tell them the size and approximate weight of your new rig, and the weight of your tow vehicle. If you do not need any special license they'll tell you. Regardless of what you're told, pick up a copy of the CDL manual, and the Air Brake manual and read /understand them. Lots of good info there that is difficult to find elsewhere.

The OP is a Florida resident. He can drive with his regular license, states it on the back. Florida has no non-commercial licenses.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanso View Post
The OP is a Florida resident. He can drive with his regular license, states it on the back. Florida has no non-commercial licenses.
If the OP is concerned enough to ask the question, I'd think he'd want an official answer. DMV is that place, but it's really about getting the information that's in the CDL basic and air brake manual. Many RV'ers don't have a clue how a 50,000 pound RV differs from their Toyota Corolla and wouldn't recognise a serious problem in an air brake system until they hit the bottom of a hill doing 90 without brakes. It's all about vital information that's hard to find in other places.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
We had rented class A and C motorhomes for years, and had never heard about the special licensing requirement. On further research, and help from this forum, I found it to be a fact that a non-commercial (class B) CDL was needed. The approach I took when we decided to buy our own class A was to take the knowledge test, had my license converted to a learners (had to have a class B licensed driver with me to drive legally), conducted my shopping and test driving, then arranged for the selling dealership's (DeMontronde) salesman to accompany us to the DMV on delivery day so I could take the driving test. The salesman was a Prince, and luckily I passed the driving test on my first try. When we move to PA, the DOT converted my license to their equivalent without anything more than completing the paperwork. The rest has been history... Good luck!
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:17 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been advised by a couple of attorneys-- casual conversation, not in response to a specific question-- to avoid earning a CDL unless and until I need one for some purpose.
If you were to be involved in an accident while a CDL holder, even though you are NOT exercising the privileges of your CDL at the time of the accident, you could possibly- depending on the state and other circumstances- be held to a higher degree of care, a higher liability level simply because you hold the CDL.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:28 AM   #21

I live in South Carolina. Over 26,000 lbs and towing (not towing you are fine with a regular license) requires a class F license. It is the same book, and same road test as the CDL.

I did it all myself, studied the book and took the written, got my permit. Then scheduled and took the road test. It was not what I would call easy, but it is not extremely difficult either. You do have to bring your coach and whatever you tow to the test. For RV's, they do not make you backup with your towed unit, but the rest of the test is with the entire rig.

The road test including all the parking lot maneuvers part was nearly an hour. It is a points system, get too many points wrong and you fail.

L.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:38 AM   #22

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
I just took my Non Commercial Class B driving test in NC this past Tuesday. I had taken the written test earlier, had my existing Class C Driver License converted to a Class B Learner Permit.

The Driver License Examiner did a cursory visual inspection of the coach to make sure turn signals and brake lights work, horn worked. He made a point of testing the air brake system to ensure leakage met the requirement (no more than 3 psi leakage in a minute) as well as getting the annoying buzzer and later the Parking Brake popping out as I fanned the brakes.

I drove the prescribed route as directed by the Driver License Examiner. When we got back to the test facility, I paid the Driver License fee and got my Temporary Driver License. In the state of NC, Driver Licenses are good for 8 years until age 66 when they are renewed every 5 years.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
I live in South Carolina. Over 26,000 lbs and towing (not towing you are fine with a regular license) requires a class F license. It is the same book, and same road test as the CDL.

I did it all myself, studied the book and took the written, got my permit. Then scheduled and took the road test. It was not what I would call easy, but it is not extremely difficult either. You do have to bring your coach and whatever you tow to the test. For RV's, they do not make you backup with your towed unit, but the rest of the test is with the entire rig.

The road test including all the parking lot maneuvers part was nearly an hour. It is a points system, get too many points wrong and you fail.

L.
According to the following site if your coach is over 26,000 lbs not towing you would need a Class E license.
http://www.scdmvonline.com/dmvnew/de...se_information
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
According to the following site if your coach is over 26,000 lbs not towing you would need a Class E license.
http://www.scdmvonline.com/dmvnew/de...se_information
Hi Bob. They do make it confusing. You can drive the coach with a class E, but cannot tow anything. I either tow our Jeep, or a trailer with my bikes, occasionally we run with just the coach. I got the class F. See the note below the table....

Pasted.....
Examples of Class F vehicles include trucks and motor homes with a towed trailer or vehicle and any combination of vehicles used exclusively for recreation such as truck and camper combinations if the gross combination weight exceeds 26,000 lbs

L.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #25

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
I have a CDL class B. I do not drive commercial, I have it from when I did I long time ago. When I went to renewal my license a few years ago they just changed the law about CDL, (I can't remember what the change was, maybe it was the need of a medical ) they were not going to renewal it as a CDL because I wasn't driving commercial at the time. Since it just changed and I was adamant about keeping it encase I needed it they let me keep it. My friend went to renewal his license a few months later and they would not let him keep his CDL class B (with other endorsement). He now has just a plane Jane license. This is in Florida. Has anyone else had a problem keeping their CDL if they weren't driving commercial?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I have a CDL class B. I do not drive commercial, I have it from when I did I long time ago. When I went to renewal my license a few years ago they just changed the law about CDL, (I can't remember what the change was, maybe it was the need of a medical ) they were not going to renewal it as a CDL because I wasn't driving commercial at the time. Since it just changed and I was adamant about keeping it encase I needed it they let me keep it. My friend went to renewal his license a few months later and they would not let him keep his CDL class B (with other endorsement). He now has just a plane Jane license. This is in Florida. Has anyone else had a problem keeping their CDL if they weren't driving commercial?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
The part about Florida not re issuing a class B CDL if not driving at that time does not make sense. What if you are between jobs. Also how could you get a job that requires a class B commercial if you cant have a class B unless you are actually driving a class B commercial.....if that makes any sense.......
Old 06-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
OK just checked Florida MV site. In order to keep class B commercial at time of renewal you have to present a current medical card...Federal required for interstate travel, or Florida required for in state operation only. No need to be actually using it at renewal .
Old 06-11-2016, 05:48 AM   #28

I got Pa. Class B. Not CDL. It required taking the complete CDL on road test. That included pre drive check and air brake tests. No written test.

One benefit of the Pa. procedure is your spouse can then just apply for a permit for $5.00. They are then legal to drive as long as you are there. It can be renewed as many times as you want. No need to ever go and take the test.

My concern was in case of an accident that some low life, dirtbag, ambulance chasing liar (lawyer) would have cause to sue for improper license. And they would.

I also had thought of changing to Fl. residence and was told that no special license is required for any weight RV. My Pa. class B would just transfer to a standard issue license.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote