Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #29

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
This is in Florida. Has anyone else had a problem keeping their CDL if they weren't driving commercial?
I have a South Dakota license and all I do is fax them a form telling them if I am driving commercially either interstate or intrastate. There's no issue as to whether or not I can retain my CDL, the only issue is whether or not I need a current medical card.

I know Texas has a similar procedure and I suspect most of the other states do also.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I have a CDL class B. I do not drive commercial, I have it from when I did I long time ago. When I went to renewal my license a few years ago they just changed the law about CDL, (I can't remember what the change was, maybe it was the need of a medical ) they were not going to renewal it as a CDL because I wasn't driving commercial at the time. Since it just changed and I was adamant about keeping it encase I needed it they let me keep it. My friend went to renewal his license a few months later and they would not let him keep his CDL class B (with other endorsement). He now has just a plane Jane license. This is in Florida. Has anyone else had a problem keeping their CDL if they weren't driving commercial?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Yeah, I know a bit about it. The Feds are laying on a bunch of new rules about how the states are to keep track of current and non-current medical certificates and exactly which doctors can sign a medical certificate. It appears that instead of the state actually doing something, some states like Florida are doing all they can to eliminate those of us who carry a CDL but are not commercially driving. In Delaware they've actually let me sign a certificate that puts me in a new category as one who has a CDL but is not driving commercially. This new certification has occurred twice in the past 2 years as the new program has evolved here in DE, but here I am able to keep the CDL without a current medical certificate. For those requiring a medical certificate, finding a doctor is getting a lot harder too. Now the docs have to get some sort of federal approval before they can sign the certificate. Since there are so few of us in the CDL world in comparison to the public at large, I'd expect that few doctors would actually go through the trouble to get the new certifications, so finding one when you need him (her) is going to be a chore. The "MORE REGULATIONS HAVE TO BE BETTER BECAUSE WE KNOW BETTER" world continues to expand. ALL HAIL to the politicians and the bureaucrats.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #31

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
For those requiring a medical certificate, finding a doctor is getting a lot harder too. Now the docs have to get some sort of federal approval before they can sign the certificate.
In many cities it's actually rather easy to find a place to get the necessary DOT physical. All you need to do is ask any place in the area that does truck driver training. Almost assuredly there's a clinic in town that does physicals for occupational medicine and other job related stuff and they will, most likely, do DOT physicals. Earlier this year because I did need a medical card to drive a vehicle for a charity we support, I got one for $75 at such a place.

I do have to say that the physical itself is often a joke. If you can see well enough to get to the clinic you'll probably pass!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnypac View Post
OK just checked Florida MV site. In order to keep class B commercial at time of renewal you have to present a current medical card...Federal required for interstate travel, or Florida required for in state operation only. No need to be actually using it at renewal .

When I went to renewal it just started and no one knew what to do. The clerk I was dealing with went to her sup. To find out what to do. The sup didn't know what to do. I was registering a car at the time and had a couple more months before I needed to renewal my license, I told the sup I'll do some more research and renewal my license later. She would not let go, it didn't make sense that because you weren't currently employed as a driver you couldn't keep your CDL. I figured you needed a medical and since I was going for my physical for my pilots license the following month I would get the DOT physical too. In the end she let me keep my CDL by wrote something in my record that I either wasn't employed as a driver or didn't have a medical.

Not sure what my friend would have to go through to get his back if he ever needed it.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #33

non-cdl b needed or not depends on the state where you claim your residency/register your motorhome when it weighs beyond a threshold. i am a full timer i claim to a state requiring non-cdl, so i had to go through the process.

here is a piece i posted on another thread, reposting it here:

i have a non-cdl endorsement and i am glad i did. yes, dmv treats the "non" applicants just like how they are picky towards cdl applicants. at the time, the written test was easy, i only did once and passed; cone test (straight forward/pull in/back out) was ok, but road test was an entirely different thing - they took time to let me drive for about an hour each time, marked the score on each turn/handling. i failed and had to go back to do it for 4 times!! it was a pain, but now i really appreciate their super strict requirement/discipline/training that made me a better driver (different than a car driving). it has been about 4 years by now, i vaguely remember it was less than $100 for the cost. but definitely well worth it.[/COLOR]
Old 06-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #34

Freightliner Owners Club
Buly: Florida does not require and does not issue a special license to operate an RV.
If you want to study the CDL procedures for your own information, Florida does have a CDL Handbook. Download here: https://www.flhsmv.gov/handbooks/EnglishCDLHandbook.pdf

A good air brake manual is here: https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/PDFs/AirBrakeManual.pdf

The Air Brake System check should be done before each trip: Pre-Trip Inspection | Brake Check | Commercial Driver's License

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote